Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. P S ThamanYour feedback matters!
What is Palpitation?
Palpitation is a feeling of awareness of your own heart beat. It is usually described as heart rate being either too fast (racing), too slow or a sensation of missing a beat.
Types of palpitations?
- These palpitations occur as a response to physical or mental stress like exercise, fever, pain, fear, anxiety etc.
- They are harmless and settle on their own once the precipitating factors disappear. They do not require any medical treatment.
- These palpitations occur due to some underlying abnormality in either the structure of heart or the beating of heart.
- These can be dangerous and at times life threatening. They may or may not settle on their own and require some medical treatment.
Warning signs that suggest palpitations are abnormal?
Palpitations are abnormal, if they are associated with chest heaviness, chest pain, uneasiness, sweating, weakness, giddiness, feeling of black out, fainting, nausea, vomiting, seizures. Palpitations are more likely to be abnormal in people who have some existing heart disease and these patients should report to their doctor at the earliest.
What to do during palpitations?
- Stay calm.
- Call for help. If u are alone avoid driving, use a taxi or auto, go to your nearest hospital/doctor and try to get an ECG during the palpitations. If you are helping someone having palpitations, if they faint, call for help, start CPR if they remain unresponsive and take them to the nearest hospital.
Which doctor can treat palpitations?
Doctors who specialise in the treatment of palpitations are called Electrophysiologists. They specialise in heart rhythm and are capable of performing a variety of complex tests to identify and treat different types of palpitations.
Which investigations are used to diagnose palpitations?
- ECG: Taken during palpitations and when the patient is normal is a very helpful tool.
- Holter: Externally applied recorder, which continuously records heart rhythm for 24 hrs.
- ELR: Extended loop recorder, is like holter, but it records rhythm for longer durations.
- ILR: Internal loop recorder is attached within the body for recording rhythm for long duration.
- EPS: Electrophysiology study, is the most sure shot test to diagnose, identify and treat Palpitations.
What is EPS?
EPS stands for Electrophysiology study. By this test a trained Electrophysiologist studies the conduction and formation system of heart beat, to understand the source, cause and type of palpitation. It is a simple and safe procedure of 2 to 3 hours and can be done as a day care procedure (by admitting the patient for a few hours in hospital, with discharge on same day).
It requires fasting for 4 hrs, some standard blood investigations and is done with local anaesthesia and if required it can be combined with treatment like ablation in the same sitting.In the procedure Electrophysiologist take catheters into your heart to study and stimulate the palpitations and understand them. Once found they can use various techniques to stop the palpitations, the techniques are called Ablation.
What are the treatment options available for palpitations?
There are many options depending upon the nature of palpitations and condition of the patient:
- Drug therapy
- Cardioversion where either a drug or electric shock is given to stop palpitations immediately.
Ablations using many sophisticated computer softwares
Device Therapy like ICD (Internal cardiac defibrillator)
Combination of all the above therapies.
Your Electrophysiologist and you as a team can make a choice about the options that will be best for you.
Related Tip: "Why Do You Get Palpitations? How to Get Immediate Relief?"
I am 45 years male and does not feel energetic. Is it due to my low testosterone level ~ 300 ng/dl? What medication I should take?
I am 174 cm and 66 kg how to enhance the present scenario and which foods shouldn't and should be eaten, in what quantities and in what interval.
Dhata syndrome (dhatu dosh) ho agr to uske kya sidefect h futur me Kya sex krne ke bad bacha paida n hoga agr dhatu dosh ho to please tell me.
My uncle has been diagnosed with CKD with urea 188 and creatinine 7.5. He is on dialysis every alternate day? What should we do? Please help? His body is swollen a lot and he keeps vomiting constantly.
I have chicken gunia from last 2 months I have tried all the medicines but the pain is not decreasing.
I keep having cold and cough frequently. Am 39 years old female. Have recently developed breathing trouble also, which keeps happening from time to time. Shown to doctor and got few medicines. Any way out of this?
Are you looking for effective and natural ways to prevent heart blockage and blood pressure management? You should consider taking Ayurvedic measures, which have been proven to be quite effective in dealing with various issues of the heart. Usually, heart blockages are difficult to deal with and a surgery has to be carried out for recovery. With Ayurvedic remedies, you can solve such issues without the concern of harmful side effects on your body.
Ayurvedic management of heart blockage
For effective prevention and management of heart blockages, you need to create a certain Ayurvedic medicine using basic ingredients.
- Mix lemon, ginger, apple vinegar and garlic together and boil on a light flame.
- After the quantity gets reduced, leave the mixture to cool.
- After this, add some honey in the solution, and store it in a bottle for use. You have to take this medicine every morning after waking up.
- Note all the ingredients are chosen for their unique and beneficial features.
- Lemon contains more than 19 qualities, and garlic and ginger are good for dealing with gastric issues. Apple cider vinegar is given great importance in Ayurveda, and honey is good for your blood. Hence, this medicine is ideal for treating heart blockages effectively.
Ayurvedic management of blood pressure
High blood pressure or Rakta Gata Vata refers to an elevation in the pressure of blood in your arteries. The increase in pressure is based upon your age, activities, diet, and medical history.
The Ayurvedic remedies for the prevention and control of blood pressure include the following:
- Avoid consuming eggs, meat, tea, coffee, pickles and table salt.
- Abstain from smoking.
- Increase your intake of food items such as lemon, garlic, parsley, grapefruit, cottage cheese, Indian gooseberry, and watermelon.
- Engage in regular exercise as it is important for lowering and preventing your chances of high blood pressure.
- Laugh a lot and keep away from anxiety and stress factors.
- Make a juice of garlic cloves, wheat grass and basil leaves. Have this regularly for reduced chances of high blood pressure.
- Mix onion juice with honey and have the mixture every day.
- Make a paste using garlic and buttermilk, and drink it regularly.
- Grind roasted watermelon seeds, add water to the powder, strain the liquid, and have it twice every day.
It is important for you to visit an Ayurvedic practitioner before starting to take Ayurvedic measures for heart blockage or high blood pressure on your own. This will ensure that you are prescribed the best measures by a qualified and experienced doctor.