Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Narendra SinghYour feedback matters!
The tooth is made of 3 layers, each with unique characteristics and specific function, the enamel, dentin, and pulp. The enamel is the outermost layer of the tooth and gives the tooth it's hard and lustrous appearance. The enamel is thicker on the crown than the root and is the first one to be affected by tooth decay. The only symptom when the enamel is decayed is food lodgment and discoloration.
The dentin is the next layer, which is composed of minute fine tubules leading from the enamel to the living portion of the tooth, which is the pulp. Once decay progresses from the enamel, the dentin is affected, and this leads to sensitivity in the teeth. When the root portion is exposed to the oral environment, because the root is covered by a more delicate substance called cementum, more severe dental sensitivity ensues.
There is a sharp, shooting discomfort through the tooth to specific foods, such as sweet, acidic, or hot or cold foods. The main reasons for tooth sensitivity include:
- Tooth decay, both crown and root caries
- Periodontal disease and gum recession
- Tooth erosion
- Aggressive tooth brushing
- Mouth breathing
- Bruxism or night grinding
However, there are some simple ways to manage sensitivity, which can be done regularly at home.
- Toothpaste made for sensitive teeth: Potassium nitrate has been shown to block the tubules and has been included as an active ingredient in toothpastes. These are very effective, and if you are brushing twice, this can be used instead of the regular paste once.
- Brushing: Both the type of toothbrush and the brushing technique can have an impact on sensitivity. Change to softer brushes and learn the ideal way to brush your teeth. A lot of times, rough brushing can lead to erosion and subsequent sensitivity
- Rinsing: Fluoride containing rinses have been proven to reduce sensitivity
- Food habits: Even before sensitivity sets in, being cautious to avoid acidic fruits and juices can help prolong the onset of sensitivity. If possible, consuming these food stuffs should be followed by brushing or at the least a thorough rinsing
- Sealants: If a person is prone to caries (deep pits and fissures, for instance), then it is advisable to get sealants applied on the teeth. This can reduce the instance of wearing of the enamel which then leads to sensitivity
- Mouth guard: If you are a night grinder, then a mouth guard can help curtail this habit and thereby reduce sensitivity.
There you go with how to reduce sensitivity. Try these simple, easy measures and go on to enjoy the sweets or hot or cold foods that you have always craved for.
Hv been suffering from jaw and ear pain while opening mouth .TMJ. Kindly suggest medications urgently.
Hello doctor I am 28 year old I have blooding problem when I brushed my teeth & also feel senstivity. I chew tobacco from last 3-4 year I want to quite tobacco but I cant. So please suggest me any paste or any thing else which help me in quiting tobacco.
I have a problem of foul smell from mouth. Already consulted with local doctor but it is not cured. What I should do to avoid the smell?
Hello doctors mere muh me chhale huye hai, 3 dino se bolne me thodi si problum ata hai. abhi me Becozym C Forte le raha hun kya ye sahi hai?
I am 21 year old student suffering from cross bite. Means my upper jaw and lower jaw is not aligned. Doctor told me lower jaw surgery. Can you tell how much it will be cost.
Hi doctor my self anupma rathore I am 22 year old girl and I have yellow teeth problem last 6 months what should I do. Thanks.
I am 46 year male I got tooth pain once in while only on one tooth than what to do solve this problem recommended medicine etc
My wife teeth so week with some pushing there is blooding so tell us the any toothpaste to medicine for teeth blooding problem.
2) Oral hygiene techniques, including tooth brushing, flossing, diet modification, use of antimicrobial mouth rinses and topical fluorides are initiated, reviewed, and used by all patients.
3) Patients with poor dental status who have demonstrated little interest or ability to improve their oral hygiene must be advised to have their teeth extracted and dentures made.
4) Retained roots and fully impacted teeth without clinical or radiological symptoms are left in place. Implants with a probing depth greater than 7 mm must be explanted.
5) A significant correlation between dental foci and the incidence of Acute GVHD was found although this was also recorded in patients who underwent dental treatment.
(As per a. B. Melkos et al published in journal of Clinical Oral Invest (2003))