Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Kukreja PankajYour feedback matters!
Dental problems can be very painful and take the smile off your face completely. Those who have experienced sensitivity would vouch for it. It just will not allow you to enjoy the hot coffee or a favourite sweet or a cold smoothie. The pain that shoots down the tooth after any of these would leave the person shuddering.
The tooth has 3 layers, from the outside in these are the enamel, the dentin and the pulp. The outermost enamel is mineralized and the hardest structure in the body. The next layer, dentin, has fine tubules and when the enamel is worn off exposing the dentin, sensitivity sets in. The enamel is thinner in some portions of the tooth like the neck and the roots, therefore sensitivity onset is quicker in these areas.
Some of the common reasons for sensitivity are listed below:
- Tooth decay: As caries progresses from enamel to dentin, sensitivity sets in, especially to hot and cold foods.
- Wear and tear: Excessive brushing of teeth can lead to wearing of teeth, especially near the neck areas, leading to loss of enamel and resulting in sensitivity.
- Dental damage: Chipped or broken tooth can lead to sensitivity.
- Gingival disease: This leads to loss of gum cover over the tooth, leading to exposure of dentin and therefore sensitivity.
- Bruxism: Clenching of teeth, common in people with high levels of stress, can lead to enamel wearing and subsequent sensitivity.
- Dental treatment: Some dental procedures like scaling, crowns, root planing, and some fillings can cause transient sensitivity.
- Highly acidic food items: Citrus fruits, tomatoes, tea, etc. can lead to tooth sensitivity.
- Bleaching agents: Most tooth whitening agents result in sensitive teeth.
- Excessive use of mouthwash: The mouth rinses contain high amount of alcohol which can also lead to tooth sensitivity.
Management: As with all health conditions, the first step in management is to identify the problem. Whether it is dental decay or recent dental treatment, food habits or tooth whitening agents, the cause needs to be identified and then treatment begun accordingly.
- For lost enamel, be it decay or damage, the tooth again needs to be restored to its original form to cover the dentinal tubules and reduce sensitivity.
- For habits, be it food related or bruxism, in addition to treating the tooth, the habit per se needs to be addressed to prevent recurrence.
- For associated dental products like whitening agents or mouth rinses, talk to a dentist to switch to a less harmful product.
- De-sensitizing pastes are also available that can be used on a regular basis to reduce the problem.
Tooth sensitivity is annoying but there are ways to manage it effectively.
I'm 16 year old male, I'm having mouth ulcers since last year And I haven't increased a kilogram more since a few months, monster how much I eat. Please help me.
Hi sir! l have pain in my tooth and also bleeding through my tooth. Please give information to cure.
When I breath or talk with someone I have bad smell from my mouth which disturbs another to clear this problem what steps I take.
Sir I have a problem in my teeth, when I speak everyone then they feel a smell from my mouth. So have you a solution for this.
Sir I'm suffering with my spoil teeth. It's getting a shape of black hole. Sometimes blood comes in rare. Can I replace or feedup.
I AM 62 YRS MALE. MY TWO ADJACENT TEETH RIGHT SIDE NEXT TO MOLAR TOOTH HAVE BROKEN AND ROOTS ARE INSIDE THE JAW. IS IT NECESSARY TO EXTRICATE THE BROKEN PORTION OF TEETH? CAN WE IMPLANT TEETH MAKING USE OF THE PORTION OF TOOTH IN THE JAW?
I am brushing twice daily using mouth wash though bad breath coming through nose. please give correct suggestion.
Hi, My wife is pregnant and facing a problem of Saliva in mouth continuously. It's big irritation matter for her to take a good sleep because she has to go to washroom due to saliva in mouth continuously. What is the cause of this and also advise some solution for this.
My sons teeth are yellow and also it does not turn white after frequent brushing, as he was in hospital for dengue he didn't got an opportunity to brush his teeth. Now his teeth are covered with a yellow layer. Is any way to remove the yellowness of teeth without consulting a dentist at home?
Saving a fallen tooth can be useful. Try to keep it in place while you seek immediate medical attention. If that is not the case, try wrapping the tooth in a piece of plastic or soaking it in to milk and call for immediate dental service.