Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Karnikar
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. KarnikarYour feedback matters!
I had a delivery three months ago exactly. Now what should I do to avoid pregnancy without taking any pill or nasbandi. Will you please help me?
I have sex with my wife 3 times in a day without any protection after that I give her e- pill before 72 hr sex is there is any chance of pregnancy? She's periods date is 13 and periods come 1 day earlier but its not same as previous periods its lighter than before periods.
There are women who feel their looks are spoilt because of the presence of excessive body hair. While hair on women's body is common, excessive body hair isn't a normal condition and must be taken seriously. Women are generally unaware that the condition is known as Hirsutism.
What is Hirsutism?
Hirsutism can be defined as growth of excessive facial and body hair in women. With the world obsessed with flawless skin, such changes from feminine hair pattern (soft, fine, vellus hair) to masculine hair pattern (hard, dark, terminal hair) in a woman is generally unwelcoming and, hence, very distressing for the woman.
Why do some women develop Hirsutism?
In order to understand the reasons for such excessive growth in some women, it is important to understand the differences in the physiology of men and women. The male or female appearance of one's body is dependent on a delicate balance between male and female sex hormones. There is a predominance of the hormone estrogen in a woman's body, whereas androgens (testosterone) are the predominant sex hormones among men. However, some amount of androgens is secreted by the ovaries and adrenal glands (located next to kidneys) in women also. But, an excessive production of these hormones results in Hirsutism. Hormonal imbalance is by far the most common cause of Hirsutism.
Causes of Hirsutism
The common causes of hirsutism include:
1. Endocrine causes
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - PCOS is a condition of hormonal imbalance in the body, which can result in an irregular menstrual cycle, enlarged ovaries with a cystic appearance on USG, infertility, obesity and hirsutism. For more information on the causes and management of PCOS.
- Cushing's syndrome - Excessive production of hormone Cortisol by the adrenal glands can lead to symptoms such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, skin discoloration, muscle weakness, irregular menstruation, and hirsutism etc. This syndrome is known as Cushing's syndrome.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) - CAH is a condition of excessive production of hormones Androgens and Cortisol by the adrenal glands and generally manifests in childhood in the form of virilization. In such cases, CAH can present with symptoms such as ambiguous genitals, obesity, hypertension etc. However, sometimes the manifestation of CAH is deferred to early adulthood and results in milder symptoms, hirsutism being one of them.
2. Tumors - Tumors in ovary or adrenal glands can again cause hirsutism due to excessive production of androgens
- Long term steroid consumption (commonly used for immunosuppression, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis)
- Performance enhancing drugs (often used by athletes)
4. Idiopathic - the woman may be having hirsutism despite normal hormone levels
There are essentially two lines of treatment for hirsutism - one is medical management and the other is a cosmetic treatment.
Medical treatments for hirsutism -
A. Birth control pills - It's possible to reduce the severity and intensity of hair growth using birth control pills- the most commonly prescribed medical intervention! The birth control pills help by decreasing the production of androgens by ovaries. Besides this, estrogen present in the pills also helps the liver to produce more of sex hormone binding protein- these proteins bind to circulating androgens, thereby reducing their action on the body. Both these actions help in reducing the growth of hair on the body.
B. Anti-androgen medications - There are three categories of anti-androgen medications, which are commonly used for the treatment of hirsutism.
- I. Spironolactone - Spironolactone is a diuretic medicine, which blocks the effects of androgens on the hair follicles, thus controlling hair growth.
- II. Finasteride - Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of body testosterone into its more potent chemical entity, thereby limiting the effect of testosterone on hair growth.
- III. Flutamide - Flutamide is a potent anti-androgen, which blocks the actions of androgens and helps in controlling the hair growth.
However, we have to ensure that the woman is not pregnant when taking any of these three medications. These medicines are often combined with oral contraceptives, which also have a synergistic effect in reducing the severity of hirsutism. One should also seek an expert opinion before starting these medications as there can be serious side effects, especially on liver.
C. Steroids - Low dose dexamethasone can be used to control the overactive adrenal glands when used carefully. However, long-term steroid therapy has got its own side effects and this therapy should only be considered under expert care and guidance.
D. Insulin sensitizing medicines - Medicines such as Metformin and Pioglitazone (Basically these are anti-diabetic medications) help in reducing insulin resistance in the body, which, in turn, helps in controlling the effects of excessive circulating androgens.
Cosmetic treatment for hirsutism -
One very important aspect of cosmetic management of hirsutism is self-care. This can include shaving, waxing, use of depilators and bleaching creams. All these measures help to reduce the amount of visible hair in undesired parts of the body. But, this needs to be done very frequently for a sustained visible effect.
Permanent hair removal is also possible using electrolysis or LASER treatment. In electrolysis treatment, electric current is passed into the hair follicle using a needle, which damages the root of the hair permanently. Similarly, LASER treatment uses LASER to destroy the hair follicle. Both these are effective methods to get rid of the undesired hair. However, we do not yet know if there are any long-term complications or side effects of these methods and these methods are not yet approved by the US FDA.
Related Tip: How Safe is Laser Surgery for Facial Hair Removal??
We are planning to postpone our pregnancy.So for that what we have to do ?We want a natural process.
I have one of problem related to my vagina from there white blood is coming which smell is very bad .can you help me why?
In vitro fertilization (IVF) includes empowering the woman with medicines, taking various eggs from her ovaries, fertilizing them with her partner’s sperm, and inserting a portion of the subsequent embryos into her uterus with the trust that one will form into a fetus.
Tubal ligation reversal, on the other hand, requires a laparotomy, which needs a much bigger entry point on the abdomen, usually around four to six fingers long. Since the skin, each of the muscles, and different tissues of the stomach must be sliced through, there is extensively more uneasiness and a longer recovery time required after the surgery, when compared with a laparoscopic surgery, for example, with a tubal ligation.
- Sperm quality: The male partner needs a sperm test before basic procedures of either of the two. In case that the sperm quality is great, then the couple could consider proceeding. In case that the sperm quality is poor, in vitro treatment is the better alternative. With IVF, poor sperm quality is effectively overcome.
- Tubal status: The length of the remaining tubal stumps after tubal ligation is an important aspect. The more extended the two remaining stumps are on each side, the better and more effective is the pregnancy. The shorter the stumps, the lower are the odds for pregnancy.
- Status of other pelvic conditions: Pelvic endometriosis or any scar tissue in the range of the tubes or ovaries would diminish the chance for accomplishment after tubal ligation reversal. Although, IVF pregnancy achievement rates are usually not influenced by these conditions. Along these lines, in vitro fertilization is most likely a superior alternative in women with noteworthy endometriosis or pelvic scar tissue.
- Female age: Chances for pregnancy with either tubal ligation or IVF decrease in the mid to late thirties and significantly reduce at the age of thirty-eight. By age forty-three or forty-four, not many women will have the capacity to have a baby using either approach.
- Egg amount and quality: A few women have a decrease in either egg amount or quality prior in life than anticipated. In this manner, the woman’s ovarian capacity needs to be tested before a choice is made in regards to whether to continue with either tubal ligation or in-vitro fertilization. AMH levels, ovarian antral follicle number, and day 3 FSH levels are generally done to evaluate ovarian capacity or hold.
- Doctor intervention: The greatest favorable position of tubal ligation reversal over IVF is that once the woman has experienced the surgery she ideally will not require any medication through the doctor, for example, medications or systems, keeping in mind the end goal to get pregnant.