Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. H C Gupta
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. H C GuptaYour feedback matters!
Most people would panic on seeing slightly red urine being passed. A common urologic condition, this happens because blood cells are leaking into the urine. There are multiple reasons which can cause it, and not all of them are major causes for concern.
Read on to know more about some common causes, and how to manage this.
- Urinary tract infections: There could be an infection of the entire urinary tract including the kidneys, the ureters, the bladder, and the urethra. In addition to blood in the urine, there could also be an urge to urinate, pain with urination, fever, and flank pain.
- Enlarged or infected prostate: The prostate naturally enlarges with age and can obstruct the urethra, causing pain and blood in the urine. There is a constant urge to urinate and difficulty initiating the stream. Infection of the prostate also produces similar symptoms along with fever and pain.
- Kidney diseases: In addition to infections, other kidney diseases including glomerulonephritis, which can also lead to hematuria. Kidney stones, which are quite common, are also another reason, and this will be characterised by the sudden sharp pain around the flank which is very diagnostic of kidney stones. Injury to the kidneys from trauma or sports is another reason for hematuria.
- Cancers/tumours: Cancers in the kidney, bladder, or prostate can cause blood to appear in the urine, but this would happen once cancer has reached some advanced stage, not very early in the process.
Listed below are some risk factors for hematuria.
- Age: Men older than 50 are more prone to hematuria
- Sex: While men are more likely to have stones or prostate infections, UTIs are quite common in women below 50s.
- Family history: though not hereditary, if kidney stones or cancers or infections are in the family, chances of developing hematuria also goes up.
- Medications: Aspirin, blood thinners, NSAIDs, and some antibiotics increase the chances of hematuria.
- Exercise: Long distance runners are shown to be more prone to developing hematuria.
Diagnosis: In addition to a physical exam, blood tests, imaging (CT scans and/or MRI) and cystoscopy might be required to confirm the diagnosis. Identifying the cause is extremely important as treatment would depend completely on the causative agent. Though hematuria is just one of the symptom, the underlying cause could have severe adverse effects on the whole body system.
Treatment: Whether it is an infection or enlarged prostate or kidney stone or tumour, once the cause is identified treatment is customised accordingly. Antibiotics for the infections, laser treatment for the stones, etc. are recommended.
If you see your urine turning slightly pink in colour, talk to your doctor immediately. Identifying the underlying cause and treating it will help solve the problem of hematuria.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
In diabetes can we consume sooji, besan, ragi flour and oats. In how much quantity and which is the best food for control the diabetes.
I have hard pain in head because I drop from ladder when I drop I see whole white around my eyes in back head and fill like vomiting but I no vomiting and swallow in backward head what should I do? I take dompan medicine.
I am 27 year old male. I have lot of dark spots and pimples on my face even at 27. And holes as well. I am dark. My forehead and sides of cheeks are even dark. My face is not even in colour. I do not want to be lighter in colour but I would like to look my face fair by removing color variation, dark spots, pimples and holes. How can I get a clear skin? Pls suggest me
Sugary drinks are the most fattening things you can put into your body.
- This is because liquid sugar calories don't get registered by the brain in the same way as calories from solid foods.
- For this reason, when you drink soda, you end up eating more total calories.
- Sugary drinks are strongly associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and all sorts of health problems.
- Keep in mind that fruit juices are almost as bad as soda in this regard. They contain just as much sugar, and the small amounts of antioxidants do NOT negate the harmful effects of the sugar.