Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Cardiologists in India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. D.S Mathur
Balloon Angioplasty Procedure
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Preventing Stent Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. D.S MathurYour feedback matters!
Heart disease is a very broad term and includes various heart conditions ranging from muscular, circulatory, to nervous conditions. For an individual to develop any heart disease, there are two definite sets of risk factors – the fixed ones and the variables. The fixed ones are those that cannot be majorly modified and include genes and advancing age. The variable ones are the lifestyle changes and include factors like stress levels, smoking, food habits, physical activity, etc.
- Heart disease definitely has a genetic component to it.
- It can be seen in people who do not have a genetic predisposition but have a lifestyle that can trigger any type of heart disease.
- There are instances where even though there was a family history of heart disease, changes in lifestyle prolonged its onset and also reduced the severity of some symptoms.
- In patients where the heart disease has already onset, the prognosis and also the symptom management can be vastly improved. This, in turn, ensures reduced morbidity and mortality.
On one hand, in countries like USA, mortality and morbidity rates are declining due to heart diseases. On the other hand, there are developing countries where the incidence of heart disease is on the rise. The ability to predict family history and genetic correlation is not well established in these geographies, as heart disease as a condition does not date back to more than a couple of generations. Therefore, it is difficult to establish a strong family history and so it is more likely it is due to the new, altered lifestyle. It is highly likely that the heart disease did indeed run in families but it was never documented as an illness or a cause of death.
Lifestyle changes which affect the genetic makeup for heart disease:
- Poor eating habits which include loads of processed foods, non-nutritious foods, high levels of sugar and fats. Changing this to a diet rich in nutrition and antioxidants can help in controlling heart disease risk.
- Weight management: A sedentary lifestyle is a very big risk and managing weight is essential to reducing heart disease risk. An active lifestyle is definitely known to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Smoking is known to be a big risk for not just heart disease but multiple other health conditions, cutting down smoking can prolong the onset of heart disease.
- Stress is the new risk factor for all disease conditions, this definitely helps curtail the risk for heart disease, even if there is a strong family history.
So, while there is definitely a genetic connection, lifestyle changes can help in managing heart disease.
I have face breathing issue last 3 years Basically I feel pain in middle of chest. Pl tell about my problem.
I have facing problem of increased heartbeat rate since afternoon but it is not constant sometimes it is normal but sometimes it's too fast.
I am a smoker 4-5 cigarettes a day, recently I am feeling heaviness in my chest and sometimes I feel a slight pain in heart. I am trying to stop this habit, will stopping help me in this or shall I try some medication.
In Lipid Profile (Basic) report, following is my test report result. Please help to understand pros & cons and precautions need to be take. Total Cholesterol - 169 Triglycerides - 225 HDL Cholesterol - 39 VLDL Cholesterol - 45 LDL Cholesterol - 85 Total / HDL Cholesterol Ratio - 4.3.
Hi, Right now I stop inderal. My doctor (pulmonology) advice me to stop that & give me the buletrol inhaler 2 times (2pump-each time. I continue it more than one month & till now, but breathing problem is going on. Sir what can I do?
What is homocysteine?
It is an intermediate by- product that we produce when our bodies break down an essential amino acid called methionine. Methionine is found in large quantities in meat, eggs, milk, cheese, white flour, canned foods and highly processed foods. Our body need methionine to survive. Our body normally convert homocysteine into either cysteine or back to methionine again.
Going vegetarian and eating lots of fruits and vegetables to fulfill the requirement of vitamin b group is easy way to keep your heart healthy.