Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Delhi and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anupama Chakravorty
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Anupama ChakravortyYour feedback matters!
What is the time of the month, when we can do intercourse without condom, and no chance of getting pregnant. Please also tell whether it is 100 %confirm or not, or either any chance of getting pregnant.
An often painful condition usually involving the bowel, ovaries or the tissue lining the pelvis, endometriosis is characterized by the abnormal growth of the endometrial tissue beyond the premises of your uterus or your pelvic region. The endometrium, in fact, functions perfectly normal with each menstrual cycle, but because of it being displaced, it cannot exit the body and consequently gets trapped.
Besides causing severe pain and distress, endometriosis can also adversely affect fertility. When the ovaries get involved, certain cysts known as endometriomas tend to develop which often result in the formation of scar tissues and adhesions.
Complications associated with it
- Infertility: Impaired fertility is the most common kind of complication arising from endometriosis, with approximately one-third to one-half women having problems with pregnancy. During endometriosis, the fallopian tube gets obstructed, thereby restricting the union of the egg and sperm.
- Ovarian cancer: Women with endometriosis are more likely to suffer from ovarian cancer. Moreover, they are also more susceptible to acquiring endometriosis related adenocarcinoma, which is another variant of cancer, but a comparatively rarer phenomenon.
How best to treat it?
Depending upon how severe your symptoms are, endometriosis can be treated via the use of medications or through the advent of surgery.
- Pain medications: Certain medications, including pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs, are particularly useful in providing relief to painful menstrual cramps.
- Hormone therapy: Undergoing hormonal therapy can help ward off or reduce the pain of endometriosis, but it should be kept in mind that it is only a temporary fix and that symptoms might reoccur. Hormonal therapies include:
- Conservative surgery: This can either be done through laparoscopy or, in more extensive cases, through traditional abdominal surgery.
- Assisted reproductive techniques: These include in-vitro fertilization, and are sometimes more preferable over conservative surgery.
- Hysterectomy: This is usually done in more severe cases of endometriosis whereby ovaries are also removed with uterus and cervix
Sesame seeds are considered as the oldest oilseed crops in the world. They are derived from the plant of Sesamum genus. Though minuscule in comparison to other seeds, they are extremely beneficial for your health. They are very useful in the prevention of diabetes, lower blood pressure, and are also known to prevent a wide variety of cancers. In addition, sesame seeds are extremely useful for boosting the respiratory health, building strong bones, improving blood circulation, cleansing the body and in the elimination of depression and chronic stress.
They can be added as a natural ingredient in our day to day cooking and can be used in a wide variety of applications. Sesame seeds are rich in vitamins, minerals, and natural oils. They are also loaded with natural organic compounds such as iron, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, zinc, protein, and tryptophan.
Let us have a look at some of the health benefits of the sesame seeds.
- Blood pressure: One of the primary uses of adding sesame seeds to our diet is their ability to control blood pressure. They are loaded with magnesium that aids in the prevention of hypertension, and thus can be very beneficial in keeping the blood pressure conditions under check.
- Cancer prevention: Sesame seeds are also enriched with natural antioxidants that help in cleansing the body. This criterion benefits us in the fight against cancer. Sesame seeds also do have essential vitamins and minerals that reduce the risk of cancer drastically. They also restrict the circulation of free radicals. Some of the leukemia types that can be prevented when using sesame seeds include breast, lung, pancreatic, colon, and prostate cancers.
- Bone health: Sesame seeds are loaded with impressive levels of minerals such as zinc, calcium, and phosphorous. These are essential in strengthening and repairing the bones.
- Digestion: Sesame seeds contain natural fiber and hence form a strong element in metabolism. They are also very beneficial for removing the symptoms of constipation and keeps the condition of diarrhea in check. Fiber scraps out the harmful cholesterol from our body. Indirectly, they are beneficial to your heart and prevents heart ailment such as strokes and cardiovascular diseases.
- Oral health: Sesame seeds have a strong presence of antibacterial properties within them. Due to this reason, they are best used in the treatment of mouth ulcers and gum problems. Adding sesame seeds to warm water and squishing inside the mouth can act as a natural mouth cleanser.
- Skin and hair health: Sesame seeds have rich sources of zinc, a vital component that helps in the formation of collagen, an ingredient used to strengthen the muscle tissue, hair, and skin. They are also known to be part of many face packs and have anti-aging properties. They aid in the skin tightening process and act against the wrinkles.
As a part of culinary proceedings, sesame seeds can be had in a variety of ways. They can either be dry roasted and sprinkled as a topping, or they can be added with spices and mixed into the gravy. They also can be mixed as a part of fruit and vegetable juices. Though the seeds are tiny in nature, their beneficial properties are more potent than any other food items known to man.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hi I am 20 years old. I regularly have my periods but I bleed very little during periods. I have a chronic pain in my lower abdomen and back. Please help me.
Brief description on infertility and its treatment
I am Dr. Radhika gynecologist and infertility specialist from Institute of Women's Health and Fertility. Infertility almost in about 10-15% of couples trying for pregnancy are facing problem with conception. This is almost a rising trend that nowadays almost 1 in 6-7 couples have problem in conception.
When we call it infertility? Infertility is nothing but when a couple is trying to conceive without any protection or without any means of protection for almost 1 year of unprotected intercourse we call it infertility. Let me just explain how an infertile couple is taken through an infertile clinic? During the first visit the couple is analysed and they are taken in detail history as what is the cause to infertility? What is the duration of infertility? What is the duration of married life? What is the age of the couple that is the age of the female partner and the male partner? Had there been any pregnancy in the past? Is there any miscarriage in the past? Once the examination and history is taken we go for work up of the patient. That is we see for the ovarian function to ensure that ovary is functioning well that is to ensure that ovulation is going fine. We also look for the tubal factors. Tubal factor analysis is done by a test called salpingogram or hysterosalpingogram. If there is a problem in hysterosalpingogram that is tubes are looking blocked then we analyze with the further test called further the surgical assessment; like laparoscopy.
Once the tubes are cleared we also analyze how the uterus is with the hysterosalpingogram? As I already told you male factor is analysed by Semen analysis after an abstinence of 2 to 5 days. Once all these are ruled out we get to analyze or we get to reach to a conclusion as what may be the probable cause of these infertile couple? There may be few factors like peritoneal factors like an endometriosis. We have the endometrium of the inner layer of the uterus growing elsewhere outside the uterus. That is the inner layer of the uterus or endometrium grow in the ovaries or may grow in the pouch of Douglas. That is behind the uterus or may grow near the tubes. These all cause an addition or attachment of the uterus to the tubes. And they impair the easy pick up of the ovum or the egg from the end of the tube to the ovum end that is the inner end of the tube. When there is no egg pick up there is no pregnancy. Some most of the time in which simple infertility treatments and simple infertility counselling how they have to go about natural conception and when they have to try when the egg is being released? With all these thing itself 70% of the couples would conceive. And only in about 10 to 15% will go to the next step like IUI or further steps like test tube baby procedures. IUI is intrauterine insemination where sperm sample is collected in the laboratory. It is washed off the impurities and the good motile sperms are injected into the uterus through a thin canella or a catheter. This sperms have to travel a very short distance from the uterine cavity into the tube when egg is already picked up and stay. So this distance to be travelled is very short thereby increasing the chance of pregnancy. IUI is of major benefit in minimal or mild male factor infertility.
Once we have seen the other factors are also ruled out and ensure that everything is fine then we counsel the couple for IVF or test tube baby procedure. IVF is in vitro fertilization. What we do in this one is give injections or give continuous injections to the lady which will cause superovulation. Once the eggs attain a mature size we collect all of them through a thin needle into the test tube washed off the impurities and then incubated. The same time the sperm is collected in the laboratory. The egg under sperm is inseminated together and embryos are grown in the laboratory. Once these embryos are grown they are pushed back or transferred back to the womb using a thin capita that is the embryo transfer catheter. After 48 to 72 hours usually or even after 5 days sometimes.
But, in few men or in few couples the problem is the severe male factor infertility. That is we find only few sperms or in the ejaculate we find only few sperms or sometimes not even a few sperms in the ejaculate. In that condition we can surgically aspirate the sperm from the testicular tissue and see if it is already there. Once we get a good sperm from the testicular tissue we inject that good sperm tissue in the cytoplasm of the egg so that we have maximum chance of fertilization. This particular process is called ICSI or Intracytoplasmic sperm injection. So this increases the chance of fertilization and this further increases the chances of pregnancy also. That's it about infertility over you.
Thank you And if you have any issues regarding infertility or regarding counselling about how conception occurs are how to go about trial for pregnancy you can visit us.
Not being able to get pregnant can be an agonizing experience. The fertility of an individual can be affected by a host of physical and mental factors. The effectiveness of a fertility treatment is enhanced by several folds if there is an accurate diagnosis of the underlying cause of infertility. The In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) that first made its presence felt in 1978 (the first child born through IVF was on 25 July 1978) has been a revolution and is still continuing to change lives of millions of couples dealing with infertility issues.
When we talk about IVF, a question that often comes to our mind is whether IVF is the solution to all infertility problems? To answer this question, one needs to have a proper understanding of the IVF procedure. The IVF procedure essentially comprises of following things
- Stimulation of the ovary and development of the follicles involves a series of tests and ultrasounds to closely monitor the ovulation process, including the quality and quantity of eggs released along with the hormonal balance.
- In some instances, medications or hormones may be needed to ensure that the ovaries are stimulated enough to ensure proper development of the follicles (sacs filled with fluids where maturation of eggs take place) along with the release of two or more eggs during each cycle.
- Retrieval of the eggs: This step involves isolation of the eggs or the oocyte from the follicular fluid into a culture media and finally into an incubator.
- Fertilization: With the retrieval of the eggs, the sperm samples (from the partner or a donor) are also collected to facilitate the fertilization process (the chosen active sperm may be injected into the egg or mixed with it).
- Transfer of the embryo: From the embryos resulting from fertilization, a doctor selects the healthiest one and transfer it into the uterus of the recipient woman for implantation to take place.
- Following the implantation of the embryo, many women get pregnant within a few days or weeks. However, a pregnancy test can also result in disappointment for some.The failure of IVF treatment in some patients can be attributed to
- The embryo not being healthy enough to undergo the implantation
- Problems or severe damages to the uterine cavity.
- Abnormalities with the egg or the sperm (can be chromosomal or genetic aberrations).
Can IVF solve all infertility problems?
Having a clearer understanding of the IVF procedure, one can state that IVF does come as a ray of hope, especially for
- Males with a low sperm count
- Tubal damage in women. There may also be problems affecting the cervix and the vagina
- Women with ovulation problems (can be due to Hormonal Imbalance, PCOS, Endometriosis) or those who are above 35 years
In unfortunate cases, where IVF fails to produce the desired result, there are other fertility treatments available such as Intrauterine insemination, Gamete or Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer, Intracytoplasmic sperm injections, to put an end to the infertility problems.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
‘Probiotic’ is one of the most popular word in health food industry today. The health food and grocery stores today are full of options on probiotic food and drinks. The literal meaning of probiotic is ‘for life’. Probiotics in scientific terms are microorganisms who provide enormous health benefits when consumed. In normal terms, they are friendly bacteria needed for our body to maintain a healthy gut.
Yogurt is one such super healthy food made by adding friendly bacteria to the milk. Doctors recommend eating a bowl of yogurt (400 gms) every day. Being a dairy product, Yogurt is not only packed with Calcium and Protein, it is also a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, B2, B12, Riboflavin, Potassium, Phosphorous and Magnesium.
Let’s now look at some well researched health benefits of yogurt:
Yoghurt is effective in the prevention of Osteoporosis. This calcium rich food serves great benefits when fortified with Vitamin D. Look for yogurt with a boost of vitamin D as consumption of Calcium and vitamin D on a regular basis can aid in the prevention of Osteoporosis.
Many of us need to consume antibiotics in sickness to eliminate the infection. However, antibiotics not only kill disease causing, but good bacteria as well. Thus, it is very beneficial to consume yogurt especially when on antibiotics to help our body replenish lost nutrients and good bacteria.
Yogurt has now emerged as a beauty ingredient. A lot has been said about yogurt and weight management as well as its skin care benefits. A lot of beauty products now boost of yogurt goodness. Eat Yogurt and apply a yogurt mask for a spotless glowing skin!
Yogurt can leave you feeling full for long as it has high-quality protein. Thus, it can be a great snacking option. These days, yogurt occupy a big place in the food industry. We have many options over the counter from frozen yogurt, sweetened or flavored ones, smoothies to thick Greek yogurts. Though they are all great options to have, it is important to go for trusted brands and read the ingredients before you buy. Nutritionists, however, recommend fresh homemade yogurt over the ready-made ones to reap their maximum benefits.
There are many ways to add variety to your yogurt bowl every day. Whip it up with some fresh fruits; add ground flax seeds or nuts for a boost of Omega-3. Blend it with some natural honey and muesli for a perfect healthy smoothie.
Say cheers to good health with a bowl of yogurt every day! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.