Doctor in Sir Ganga ram Hospital-Delhi
Cancer Pain Management
Epidural And Spinal Anesthesia Techniques
Treatment of Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimu
Submit a review for Sir Ganga ram Hospital-DelhiYour feedback matters!
You are likely to be aware that Slipped disc is a scenario where the disc, meant to cushion adjoining vertebras, slips from its original position and bulges out to press a nerve root resulting in pain. It can happen due to an injury or weakness. The condition is also known as Prolapsed or Herniated disc. Read on to know more about this condition.
All slipped discs don’t cause symptoms. Many individuals did not know they have slipped a disc until they met their physician. That is a reason why proper diagnosis is required before initiating any curative method, as it's related to the spine. Lower back pain may result from accidental injuries such as a sprain or strain. There are no other serious reasons to cause Slipped disc.
Factors that increase the risk of a slipped disc are:
- Professions involving the lifting of heavy item frequently
- Professions involving continuously sitting for a long time like driving
- Sportspersons involved in weightlifting or similar activities.
- Obese Patients
The first step of diagnosis involves enquiring about the complete medical history and physical exam to check nerve function and muscle strength. For this purpose, leg- raising test is conducted wherein you may be asked to raise the leg to observe the pain sensation. Your doctor would also check for an increase in pain while applying pressure on a nerve, sometimes with the help of a specialized tool. Other diagnostic tools that may be utilized are:
- Nerve conduction test
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan &
Nonsurgical treatments are the preferred course of action. You will be prescribed pain relievers, which helps in reducing the pain associated with a herniated disk. Also, the use of heat or cold, compressing methods, which have been found to cure similar cases are advised. It is also recommended to avoid bed rest, as it prevents any chances of putting the disc back in normal position.
Chiropractors are also one of the preferred choices of consults because exercises and physical therapy, with gentle stretching provide relief from pressure on the nerve root. These are some essentials to be performed one by one or together in combination for bringing the spinal column back to its normal shape. This is what physicians do with a more accuracy to treat patients suffering from the slipped disc without surgery.
But it is essential to follow your physician instructions and go about the therapy thoroughly else the condition can worsen and surgical reinstallation of the spine would be the only course of action. Ultimately, the bottom line is not to be anxious about the protruded disc and to keep going about your normal tasks as usual under the supervision of your physician to get cured.
In today’s day in between surgical n conservative measures there is another treatment modality Called Interventional Pain n spine treatment n this has excellent potential for chronic non healing discogenic back pains or leg pains. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The fast pace of modern life and sedentary work lives are affecting the physical health and posture of most people. As a result, persistent issues of back pain and slipped discs have emerged in the public health discourse. Health experts note that age remains a prime factor behind such health conditions; however, smoking and the consumption of alcohol can also aggravate these conditions in most people. In addition, obesity and excess body weight can trigger back pain and slipped disc.
Symptoms of slipped discs
Slipped discs manifest themselves in shoulder pain and uneasiness in the neck and arms. Patients that suffer from this condition also experience numbness in the upper arm. Back pain remains the primary symptom of this problem and tends to worsen at night. Also, patients may experience muscle weakness at night and a sensation of burning pain in the affected area. Advanced stages of slipped discs make it impossible for patients to walk short distances.
Medical intervention seeks to diagnose the symptoms and relieve the discomfort caused by slipped discs. Doctors also recommend methods to prevent recurrence. Conventional allopathic treatment advocates the use of painkillers or traction. This line of treatment can trigger side effects; in certain cases, treatment may not meet with much success.
The benefits of opting the Ayurvedic way
Ayurvedic treatments can help patients to avoid surgery. This form of traditional Indian medicine is safe and effective for patients of all age groups. The treatment is 100% natural and therefore, it does not cause any unwanted side effects or discomfort in the body. Ayurveda stresses on holistic healing; the practitioners of Ayurveda often create a detailed treatment plan for all patients that seek their help. However, patients must be advised to take consultations from a trained medical practitioner.
Resort to Ayurveda for a complete cure
- Patients can seek Ayurvedic treatments because these offer a tangible alternative for the treatment of prolapsed discs. According to Ayurveda, slipped disc problems may be triggered by the imbalance of the Vata element in the human body. Ayurvedic treatment targets this imbalance, and helps restore the basic function and strength of the healthy human body. Ayurvedic treatment also targets weaknesses in the lower part of the body.
- Ayurvedic medications comprise herbal tablets, capsules, decoctions, and oils. These applications remain very effective in providing relief to patients suffering from mild to moderate back pain and the associated symptoms of slipped discs.
- Patients suffering from chronic back pain with severe intensity may be required to undertake Ayurvedic therapies like Swedana or Sudation therapy. Abhyanga therapy can also be applied through the use of medicated oils. Shodana therapy, which helps to detoxify the body, is also a recommended course of treatment. These interventions are used to heal the nerves so that the symptoms of a herniated disc and muscular spasms are alleviated.
If the back pain has been a nagging concern for a while now, it is time, you consult an Ayurvedic practitioner, and take the way to complete recovery from the pain. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Most of us may not be aware, but the knee is the largest joint in the human body and contributes the maximum to a person’s physical movement from one place to another. The knees play a significant role in a variety of movements including squatting, supporting the weight, running, kneeling, sitting, etc.
Whether it is a severe accident, osteoarthritis that set in with age, or other reasons, the result could be stiff, painful knees. The first line of treatment would be exercise, physiotherapy, and medications. However, if these do not work, then surgical treatment is the choice. Though usually it is reserved for people over the age of 50, there could be exceptions.
Given the number of functions it is involved in, when a serious procedure like knee replacement is being considered, the pain that the person would go through and the recovery time are two important parameters to address. It is best that the patient has a detailed discussion with the doctor and gets all doubts clarified. This will help both the patient and the doctor have realistic and practical expectations about what to expect after the surgery.
So, when pain and stiffness make knee replacement inevitable, prepare for it. The following sequence outlines what happens right from surgery to recovery.
- Under general anesthesia, the damaged portion of the knee is removed, and a prosthesis (metal or plastic) is used to replace the removed portion.
- Hospital stay can range from 3 to 5 days.
- In about a month, the patient will have remarkable recovery, with almost no pain.
- Though not advisable, most patients would be able to stand and do basic movement on the day of surgery.
- Begin walking with the support of parallel bars and continue using cane/walker/crutches for the first few days to avoid overload on the knees.
- With proper support, walking is possible in 3 to 5 days. Continue using a cane for the next few weeks to strengthen the knee.
- Schedule a postoperative visit in the 4th to 6th week after surgery.
- Draw up an exercise routine with your physiotherapist.
- Ice pack can be applied to control swelling.
- Driving should be possible, once you are off pain medications, as these can make you drowsy.
- Blood clot in the surgical site causing a bruise will disappear in a couple of weeks.
- Knee replacement is almost magical as in the long run (10 years postoperatively), there is a good 98% chances of success.
Having said this, it is important to remember each person responds differently to the procedure and therefore treatment/rehabilitation is completely personalized. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Debilitating inflammation in the joints and its surrounding tissue usually characterize arthritis. This ailment can greatly weaken the body. At the point when joints are seriously influenced by joint pain, there are a number of treatment methods that may be available for the patient. Pain relievers, physiotherapy and other forms of treatment can help in offering relief. Yet, when these methods fail, one can go in for replacement surgery of the affected joint. This may not just lessen or eliminate the pain experienced but it can also it can reestablish better strength in the joint. Hip, knee, and shoulder joint substitutions are a portion of the more normal surgeries suggested when managing joint pain.
Joint Replacement Surgery for Various Joints: Arthritis can affect a variety of joints in various ways. In the shoulder, this can be found in the humerus (the upper arm bone) and a bit of the scapula (the shoulder bone). In the knee, it includes the finishes of the femur and tibia (the thigh bone and shin bone, separately) and the patella (the knee top). In the hip, the influenced zones are the femur and the attachment in the pelvic bones in which it rests (the hip bone socket). In simple words, an aggregate joint trade or replacement for joint pain includes replacing the harmed joint surfaces with simulated segments artificially.
Ideal Candidate: In the event that your joint pain is progressed yet you are generally healthy, joint substitution might be a choice. Notwithstanding, you should take the advice of an accomplished orthopedic pro who can give you moderate treatment choices and other negligibly intrusive ways to deal with the condition before resorting surgery.
As a rule, you may not be a decent candidate of the replacement if:
- You have inadequately controlled diabetes
- You are a chain smoker
- You are extremely chubby
- You have encountered contaminations in the influenced ligament joint before
Who all are candidates for replacement:
- Have joint pain that is extreme
- Are encountering a debilitating effect in their personal life due to the painful symptoms
- Have discovered moderate medicines, for example, mitigating drugs and non-intrusive treatment to be ineffectual
- Are willing to effectively and regularly participate in a recovery program after surgery
The accomplishment of a joint substitution surgery relies on upon the stability of the remaining parts of the joint. In the event that the joint has endured a few diseases, or in the event that it has experienced a few surgeries, it may not be sufficiently solid to withstand a joint replacement procedure. What's more, if you there are immune system disorders or long ailments like diabetes at play, then there may be little chance of aligning with the new joint. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am working in an IT company due to continuously seeing the monitor I have severe neck pain is there any solution plss.
I have pain on the shoulder nagging pain and what medicines I can take this pain is there since last three months. Taken cal. Tables, then also no improvement.
Lumbago or Lower back pain is a condition that is characterized by mild to serious pain or uneasiness in the lower back region. Lower back pain is more prevalent among the youth whose work includes physical exertion or sitting for long hours and is also common in individuals belonging to the 'retirement age' because of their sedentary lifestyles. The pain might be acute (sudden and extreme) or chronic if it has been endured over a span of three months.
The most common causes of lower back pain are:
- Overuse of the muscles and includes strains or sprains of soft tissues such as muscles, ligaments and vertebral compression fractures.
- Pressure on the roots of nerves due to conditions such as spinal canal stenosis (narrowing down of the spaces within the spine) or herniated disc (a condition of the rubbery disc present between the spine bones (vertebrae)).
- Osteoarthritis is a condition wherein the shock absorbers, found in the joints, progressively break down.
When it affects the spine, the condition causes back pain by stiffening the spinal joints. Symptoms of Lumbago (Low back pain) include:
- Stiff back
- Numbness in the legs
- Loss of weight
- Difficulty in urinating
- Sciatica, which is the pain running down the lower back to hips, legs and thighs. This occurs due to a compression by an intervertebral disc in the back, which leads to a pinched nerve.
How to diagnose lower back pain or a slip disc?
Some methods that can be utilized for diagnosing back include Xray, CT Scans, Myelogram and MRI scans.
Treatment options available -
Exercises along with correction of bad posture for relieving back pain are a common component of any treatment plan. Factors such as type and severity of the pain as well as the patient?s history can help in determining the type of treatment that can be administered. In most cases, the recovery time is usually six weeks without surgery. Typical treatment of back pain includes use of muscle relaxants, painkillers and physiotherapy. Surgery is suggested in severe cases. Some other treatments are discussed below:
- Rest: A period of rest and inactivity would help the injured tissues to recuperate and relieve back pain. However, extended periods of rest lead to weakening of muscles and hence might prolong the existing back pain.
- Heat and ice packs: Both heat and ice therapies are used according to the patient's preference to reduce inflammation.
- Medications: A large variety of prescription and over-the-counter medicines are available. Some reduce back pain caused by inflammation and others prevent the pain signals from travelling to the brain. Examples would include acetaminophen, celecoxib and diclofenac. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I have been advised for physiotherapy for back pain and also mri how will mri help the doctor says there are two gaps in my back please advise my age is 49.
There is a general belief that homeopathy is a line of medicine that takes a holistic look at the human body and not in a localized manner. Every condition is diagnosed based on its history and the underlying cause and the other parts of the body the disease or disorder may be connected to. The case of joint pains and arthritis is no exception. If you feel pain in your joints and approach a homeopathic practitioner, the process will be to make a diagnosis in this way only.
It’s Not Always About Medicines
There is this misconception that homeopathy is all about medicines and concoctions that are prescribed for treatment of diseases. It is usually more than that. As mentioned above, the practitioner will consider several aspects. These will include the style or the way the pain is experienced by the patient. For example, a person who feels pain in the knee joints may feel severe pain when waking up in the morning, but the pain will reduce in intensity and relief will be experienced as he or she moves around. This may repeat alternately while resting and when being active. This kind of pain will be treated with a different remedy than the direct localized application of a gel or other preparations. Alternately, when the pain shoots up as the person moves, the treatment needs to be of a different kind.
A Large Volume of Research is Undertaken
Practitioners of homeopathy themselves and others who are keen to know if it is really that effective as a form of medicine undertake a lot of research on the way homeopathy approaches its methods of treatment. In these experiments, the researchers from 2 groups with similar conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis and offer them treatment, one following homeopathy and the other a different method. And the results have always proven that homeopathy has evolved better ways to address the condition and offer longer lasting remedies.
Lifestyle Choices Reviewed and Corrected
Another additional form of the remedy suggested within homeopathy for the treatment of joint pains and arthritis or any other form for that matter relates to the changes being suggested in the lifestyle of the patients.
These are besides the medicines prescribed for the remedy and will cover the food intake; things that should be avoided or taken in larger amounts, dropping certain habits and inculcating others and so on. Consumption of alcohol, for instance, is generally discouraged because it interferes with the internal medicine being taken. This is true for most allopathic drugs also, but it is not given the same emphasis there as it is done in homeopathy.
There are other similar suggestions made during the treatment of joint pains through the homeopathic route which comprises medicines and counselling. The medicines will also have the external components and the internal ones. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!