Patient Review Highlights
One of the effects of pregnancy is lowered libido. Pregnancy can tire out a woman and put a hold on her relationship with her partner. Even after the baby is born, a woman may not feel inclined to have a sexual relationship with her partner. Though this is normal, it can lead to problems in your relationship. Hence it becomes important to put in an effort towards maintaining intimacy with your partner in a relationship. Here are a few ways to keep the spark alive:
Find alternative ways of staying close: Having intercourse when you have no desire for it makes it a chore. Instead of having sex for the sake of it, find other ways to be intimate. For example, you could take a shower together or massage each other. Being physically intimate can also be as simple as holding hands or touching your partner when you walk past them. A quick hug before leaving the house for work in the morning is also a good idea.
Communicate openly: A woman is not the only person hesitant about sex when pregnant or caring for her newborn. Men may also feel hesitant to initiate sex in the fear of hurting his woman. Many men also become extra gentle with regards to their partner when she is pregnant. Hence, it becomes important to communicate openly and share your feelings and thoughts. Do not be afraid to tell your partner when you feel uncomfortable about your body or when your libido surges suddenly.
Do something together: It is easy to get overwhelmed with preparing for a baby or looking after one. However, it is important to set some time aside for an activity that both of you can do together. It could be as simple as drinking a cup of tea together in the morning, solving a crossword puzzle or watching a television show at before going to bed. The idea is to give each other attention for at least a little time every day.
Accept the changes: A woman’s body undergoes a lot of changes when she is pregnant. Do not fight against these changes but accept them as they are and roll with it. Be prepared for breast milk to leak or for a little urinary incontinence. This is normal. It may help to dim the lights while having intercourse or putting down a rubber sheet over the bed.
People are beginning to understand that masturbation is not simply a superficial form of pleasuring the self, but an activity that can provide some benefits in terms of health and fitness as well. Not only that, masturbation also helps men and especially women, learn more about their own sexual behavior, preferences, and desires.
Here are the reasons why masturbation can lead to good health:
- Masturbation to strengthen the body: In case of women, masturbation makes the muscles of the pelvic floor stronger. Along with this, it decreases the likelihood of developing yeast infections in the vagina or surrounding areas. This improves bladder control and also improves sexual experiences. For men, masturbation helps to develop better resistance to prostate gland infections. It also helps to improve the health of the prostate. It also gives a boost to the immune system.
- Masturbation demystifies the concepts of sex and sexuality: In Indian society, discussing sex and sexuality is seen as taboo. Discussing these issues openly is regarded as immoral. This causes many people, especially young people, to have unclear ideas about their own bodies and bodily desires. This causes a lot of stress and anxiety in their minds. Masturbation helps them to come to terms with these issues by exploring their own bodies in a new way. This helps to promote well being by dismantling primitive ideas about sex and sexuality.
- Masturbation as a process of stress relief: Pleasing oneself after a hectic and taxing day at work can reduce a lot of stress. The activity releases endorphins into the blood which helps to improve one's overall mood and helps the individual to relax. In the 21st century, this is indeed a great advantage where people are constantly under pressure from various areas of life.
- Masturbation also helps with Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS): Most women go through a wide variety of PMS symptoms such as intense stomach cramping, mood fluctuation, anxiety, tension, and pain in the legs and the back. Masturbation has been found to ease these problems to a great extent.
The most crucial condition for any male is any disorder which hampers his physical intimacy with his partner. These physical discomforts create psychological impact for any male and affect the personal and social life. Premature ejaculation is one such sexual disorder that occurs in male. In this premature ejaculation the men ejaculate the semen involuntarily too earlier or during the orgasm itself.
There exact cause of premature ejaculation is not known. But few researches suggest causes like physical conditions like nervous conduction problem and increased penile sensitivity. Psychological factors include performance anxiety, early initiation of masturbating in adolescence and trying to complete the masturbation process too early in fear of getting caught by adults, passive aggressiveness and unresolved relationship issues.
Primary symptoms include clearly the ejaculation of semen too early during sex. This may cause a feeling of dissatisfaction and disappointment to both the male and female partner. But male have this dissatisfaction at higher rate than the female partner.
- Lack of self confidence in sexual act which may further lead to other psychological disturbances for both partners
- Problem or difficulty in interpersonal relationship
- Depression because of the failure in sexual attempt
- Embarrassment mainly to the male partner and this causes anxiety to male partner in the matter of sex
- Increased level of stress and some may even show decreased level of performance in their professional work
- If the problem is caused because of any psychological reasons this can easily be treated with psychological counselling and with the guidance of the sexual health advice.
- If the problem is with the newly married couples or with the new sex partner this may get automatically resolved as their relationship gets improved over period of time.
- If premature ejaculation is caused because of any physical reasons this can be treated with the anti-depressant drugs. But most doctors don’t prefer drugs as this may cause many adverse effects on sexual life on regular usage.
- Some doctors’ advice the use of lidocaine 20 – 30 minutes before having sex as this may increase the ejaculation time.
If you wish to discuss about any specific sexual problem, you can consult a specilized sexologist and ask a free question.
Vaginismus is a condition where vaginal contractions and squeezes may be caused due to pain during intercourse or due to the insertion of objects like tampons. This mildly uncomfortable condition is also characterised by spams and other symptoms like the feeling of coming up against a thick wall which can cause pain. This may be due to a variety of reasons starting from infections to anxiety. To a large extent, the treatment of this condition depends on the cause. Following are the various ways in which this condition can be treated.
- Sex Therapy: A sexologist or an expert who specialises in psychosexual medicine can help in treating this condition by conducting a series of counselling sessions where psychoanalysis will help in understanding and unravelling the cause of the condition. This may be followed by CBT or cognitive behavioural therapy. This kind of therapy usually helps in reprogramming the brain after the root cause for the condition is known.
- Exercises: During sex therapy, the doctor may also teach you various kinds of exercises and vaginal trainers that can help you in strengthening the pelvic floor and relaxing the muscles as well. These vaginal trainers are especially helpful in equipping you suitably so that you can relax your vagina and let the insertion happen. Vaginal trainers consist of four smooth balls of plastic which can be inserted with the help of lubricants to help in stretching the vagina.
- Relaxation: Getting yourself to relax is also a matter of exploration and touching, which can help you understand the kind of touch and the exact areas that make you tense. During sex therapy, you may be taught a technique known as progressive relaxation. This mode includes tensing and relaxing your muscles as you explore by inserting a finger.
- Sensate Focus: This is a part of sex therapy and involves your partner. In this method, you will be asked to abstain from sex and touch each other without going to the genitals and other private parts. This will help in better arousal and sexual stimulation.
- Surgery: The last option for treating a very severe form of this condition is to put the patient through surgery which will seek to remove endometriosis, as these growths in the womb's lining can cause a lot of pain during intercourse. Also, vaginal enlargement surgery can be carried out with the help of episiotomy.
This kind of procedure usually helps in fixing the scar tissue that may have been left from a previous procedure, which can restrict or block the vaginal path. Getting help at the right time for this condition is of great importance so as to have a normal sex life.
Which test is required to check Is any sexual problem exist or any psychological problem please clarify.
From last two or three days. I am facing a problem of itching on my penis. And due to do itching on penis it cause large itchy pimples on may penis and smwhere it convert into wound why it's happening. What should I do to cure this problem.
I am 23 and single I masturbate often but It's not enough as I do not I do not have a girl to have sex with. How should I make myself more satisfying and pleasurable Orgasms?
A number of internal and external factors, such as supply of blood, sufficient oxygen and the functioning of the other bodily systems at the time of erection, determines the health of erection. While stimulant drugs and other kinds of medicines are short term solutions to sustain an erection for a longer period of time, sometimes certain changes in your daily lifestyle can also be of great benefit. Here are 5 ways to have a stronger erection:
- A healthy diet: Regular heavy meals are not good for your erection. This is because the flow of blood slows down and the digestive system begins working very fast. High cholesterol level or blood sugar level can cause nerve damage all over the body. If the nerves associated with the sexual organs are harmed, sexual function can be impaired. Fruits and berries which are high in micro nutrients and antioxidants are beneficial and should be a part of your diet instead.
- Lesser consumption of alcohol: Alcohol is primarily a depressant and can affect the normal functioning of the nerves. More than two standard size drinks in a day can be harmful because the liver is unable to process more. In fact, the toxins of alcohol build up in the body and affect most of the organ systems. Over consumption of alcohol has been directly linked to limited sexual desire, premature ejaculation, and temporary and long term erectile dysfunction.
- Acupuncture therapy: Acupuncture therapy involves inserting thin, sharp needles in the pressure points of the entire body to realign and regulate the flow of energy in the body. Psychogenic erectile dysfunction is essentially a disorder of the interaction between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. This can be corrected by activating the pressure points along the spinal cord. Acupuncture therapy has been proven to be an effective treatment for about 60% of the patients who underwent the procedure.
- Minimized intake of drugs: Medication for disorders like social anxiety, depression and narcolepsy has negative impacts on the nervous system. Other drugs like amphetamines, methadone, nicotine, opiates and barbiturates are also responsible for certain cases of erectile dysfunction. The use of such drugs should be limited to prescriptions and medical emergencies in order to improve your ability to sustain a strong erection.
- Lowered stress levels: Psychological stress leads to the secretion of adrenaline and cortisol hormones. These result in decreased secretion of sex hormones like testosterone because the secretion of stress hormones is prioritized by the body. So, lowering the level of stress can do wonders for sexual health and functioning.