Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Weight Management Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for A K GsOVIHAMS Homoeopathic ClinicsYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
The diabetes was increasing day by day. He is not just friendly, but also is very motivating. In the past i consulted so many doctors, but nobody was able to help me with my diabetes, but he has helped me immensely. As someone I knew, consulted therSanket Gupta and they referred us. The overall atmosphere in the A K GsOVIHAMS Homoeopathic Clinics is very soothing. The overall outlook of the A K GsOVIHAMS Homoeopathic Clinics was very nice. I feel so great after the completion of treatment. Sanket Gupta certainly knows the in and out of herspeciality.
Dr Sanket Gupta constipation treatment suited me the best and now I am fine. I was quite concerned, as my health was degrading day by day, but due to Dr Sanket Gupta and hertreatment I didn't lose hope. I must say that the hygiene was maintained very nicely in the Homoeopathic Clinics. Dr Gupta is quite knowledgeable. Not only he is very calm and composed, but is also a very understanding doctor.
Excellent Work by dr Sanket Gupta. Thank you al for making me Back pain free. Was suffering from low back pain for almost 4 years and took treatment with many doctors and hospitals. Could not get relief and my pain kept on increasing but with him my pain has reduced. he can be consulted at A K GsOVIHAMS Homoeopathic Clinics in Delhi.
I was shocked to experience the symptoms of coughingIt been 1 week I was suffering from coughing. Dr Sanket Gupta gave me a coughing treatment which helped me immensly. I thank him for treating me so patiently. He listens to the patients and try to find out the root cause in order to treat it perfectly.
The experience was delightful.
Constipation features the passage of hard and dry bowel movements in small amounts. The rate is usually lesser than three times during a week. Bowel movement becomes difficult and causes pain in people with constipation. The affected person may feel uncomfortable, sluggish and bloated. Homeopathic medicines are widely used to cure constipation. As they are purely natural, they provide effective treatment without the use of any chemicals.
Here is a list of common homeopathic medicines used for treatment of constipation, along with symptoms:
- Nux Vomica: This is an ideal homeopathic medicine taken in case of frequent constipation and ineffectual urging for passage of stool. In such cases, the amount of stool passed is quite scanty and an incomplete evacuation feeling is experienced. This urge keeps on rising. This medicine is also used to treat piles, which develops in association with constipation at times.
- Alumina: Alumina is an ideal homeopathic remedy for constipation that features the absence of the urge for bowel movement. The symptoms based on which this medicine is used are totally the opposite of the symptoms where nux vomica is used. The affected person loses desire to pass stool for a number of days and a large accumulation gathers in the intestine. The intestines become inactive and sluggish. A lot of effort has to be given to bring the stool out. This medicine is ideally used in case of constipation in infants.
- Bryonia Alba: This form of homeopathy is used in cases of constipation where the stool is very hard, dry and extremely large. The mucous membranes become very dry. The abdomen may seem sore to touch. The affected person develops increased thirst and feels dry in the mouth and lips.
- Opium: This homeopathic medicine is used when stool is passed in the form of round, hard balls along with feeling of constipation. The stool appears to be like black balls of sheep dung. The stool gathers in the intestine for a long period of time. The abdomen becomes hard and bloated. Opium also treats constipation occurring due to enema abuse.
- Silicea: Silicea is used in cases where constipation occurs with constricted anal sphincter. Stool recedes back from the rectum due to the spasmodic constriction of the anal sphincter and remains in the rectum for a long time period. There is a presence of obstructed flatus, the abdomen feels very tight, hard or bloated. Silicia is helpful for women who have constipation during their menstrual phases.
Homeopathic medicines are very effective for the treatment of constipation. The underlying causes and the symptoms are both treated, with no side effects using homeopathy.
Hormones are chemicals produced by the body for optimal functioning of the various body systems. The thyroid produces thyroxin which controls body metabolism, and reduced levels affect metabolism. Deficiency of Iodine is the cause behind it as it is required by the body to produce thyroxin. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis which is an autoimmune disorder is another cause.
Some common signs of it are extreme fatigue, intolerance to cold, constipation, puffy face, hoarseness of voice, increased cholesterol level, weight gain, muscle and joint pains and aches, altered menstruation and depression are some of the common symptoms.
Homeopathy has some very good remedies that are aimed at managing the person as a whole and not just the symptoms of hypothyroidism.
- Calcarea Carbonica: The most common and popular homeopathic medicine, it is useful in patients who present with the following symptoms.
- Intolerance to cold
- Fat, flabby, fair person
- Excessive sweating on the head
- Peculiar food habits including craving for eggs, chalk, pencils, lime,
- Aversion to fatty food substances
- Constipation i.e. first part of stool is hard followed by softer stools
- Excessive menstruation, prolonged and occurs earlier than the regular date, almost always associated with cold feet
- Sepia Officinalis: Another significant remedy, Sepia is used when the patient has the following symptoms.
- Weak, pale yellow, tend to faint easily in cold temperatures
- Extreme intolerance to cold, even in a warm room
- Irritable, indifferent
- Significant hair loss
- Excessive menstruation, occurs earlier than schedule, along with a bearing down feeling that the pelvic organs will pop out through the vagina, and so she always prefers to sit cross-legged
- Constipation i.e. stool is passed out as small balls that is painful to pass
- Craving for pickles and acidic food stuffs
- Lycopodium Clavatum: Symptoms of patients in whom Lycopodium will be used are as follows:
- Emotionally irritable and physically weak
- Yellow face with blue circles around eyes
- Excessive hair fall
- Craving for hot foods and sweets
- Gastric troubles with excessive flatulence
- Acidity that worsens after eating starchy foods, especially in the evenings
- Constipation with hard, painful, incomplete stooling
- Graphites: Presenting symptoms where Graphites is mainly used include:
- Intolerance to cold
- Depressed emotionally, timid, indecisive, weeps listening to music
- Bloated, gassy abdomen
- Chronic constipation with hard, painful stooling process
- Nux Vomica: The patient in whom Nux Vomica can produce wonderful results presents with the following symptoms:
- Cold to the touch
- Extremely temperamental, gets offended easily, extremely sensitive
- Chronic constipation with scanty stools and a chronic urge to pass stools
- Gassy, bloated feeling in the stomach
- Desire for alcohol, caffeine, and other stimulations; fatty and spicy foods
- Prolonged excessive menstruation
These are commonly used remedies; however, a detailed discussion with your homeopath is essential to zero in on the remedy that will work best for you.
A number of worms/parasites can infest the stomach and intestines. Children are more prone, and contract them by ingesting uncooked foods or fruits, contact with animals, playing in soil, or even unhygienic water.
The most common worms include pinworm, threadworms, roundworms, whipworms, hookworm, and tapeworm.
Signs and Symptoms
Whatever the type of worm, the symptoms are more or less the same and include the following:
- Allergies: When worm infestation happens, there could be blisters on the body and the oral mucous membranes and food sensitivity can occur.
- Anemia: The parasites growing inside the stomach suck out nutrition from the food, and therefore the body is deprived of essential nutrition. It could lead to severe anemia in some cases.
- Altered bowel movement: While some organisms produce constipation by blocking the colon, others result in diarrhea which is body’s way of removing harmful substances from the body
- Fatigue: Needless to say, all this results in extreme fatigue and dehydration for the infested person.
- Abdominal bloating: The parasites produce gas, which produces a gassy, bloated sensation
- Altered immune function: As most parasites induce an allergic reaction, there is an increased amount of immunoglobulin A in the circulation.
- Other: Restlessness, dark circles under the eyes, bedwetting, headaches and light sensitivity.
Some of the most popular homeopathic remedies are listed below and aim at strengthening the child’s overall health. As always, the child will be asked thoroughly for all symptoms and then a remedy identified.
- Cina: Very useful for all types of worm, it is the most popular remedy. The child is irritable, angry, has a pale appearance with rings around the eyes. When asked more, there will be teeth grinding (bruxism) at night, may have had convulsions, crying at night, nose picking, extreme hunger, milky urine, bluish discoloration around the mouth.
- Calcarea: The child is usually fat, flabby child with a strong appetite and craving for things like chalk, coal, and pencils. There is aversion to dairy products and meat. There will be a crawling feeling in the rectum and anus. There is profuse sweating from the head, causing a wet pillow.
- Spigelia: The child will have a pale face, blue rings around the eyes, tendency to faint, nauseating sensation, and pain around the navel. Stool with mucus and worms are an indication for using Spigelia.
- Caladium: The worm travels from the perineum to the vagina and causes the girls to constantly itch around the vagina
- Teucrium: Used in pinworm infestation, where there is a lot of irritation in the rectum. A thin dilution or tincture of this medication is used.
- Indigo: Very effective in roundworms. The child is usually melancholic, has intense pain around the bellybutton, and may have had convulsions. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopathic.
Oral diseases are very common. Many of the patients fail to maintain proper oral hygiene. Consequently, they develop oral diseases like ulcers, bleeding gums and stomatitis. Although these diseases are not fatal to a great extent, they cause discomfort and embarrassment in public. Bad breath, pain, swelling and bleeding in the gums are some common symptoms of these diseases.
These diseases can be cured by allopathic means. However, homeopathic treatment is safer, cheaper and effective. You don’t need to take up expensive and invasive treatments. Here are some homeopathic remedies for oral diseases like Aphthae, Ulcers, Bleeding Gums and Ulcers:
- Borax: This is useful in treating apthous inflammation of the mouth. Aphthae refers to the occurrence of small white spots and ulcers on the mucous membrane of the mouth. It is caused due to fungal infection. It can be cured by the use of Borax mixed with honey. In case the patient suffers flat ulcers, soreness and salivation, mercurius is given. In acute cases of violent inflammation, aurum is prescribed.
- Baptisia: This medicine is prescribed for treating bleeding gums. If the patient is found to have developed ulcerated gums, cracked tongue and excessively bad breath, Baptisia can be given to them. The colour of the blood oozing out should be dark red.
- Nitric Acid: It is given to patients with whitish gums, acrid saliva and experiencing prickling pain. This is also good for patients with deep bluish ulcers and swollen salivary glands.
- Mercurius Solubius: It helps in healing ulcers and cures the pain. One can consume Merc Sol 30c three times a day for 2 to 3 days. It stops the re-occurrence of ulcers.
- Arsenicum: It can be prescribed to patients with sloughing ulcers. It is given to patients suffering from livid or bluish gums. If the patient suffers from canker sores, salicylic acid can be given.
- Kerosote: If a patient finds that black blood is oozing out of his or her gums, kerosote can be given to them. This helps in clotting of the blood quickly. This is prescribed for patients with dark and crumbling teeth and putrid mouth.
- Carbo Veg: This is given to patients who suffer from bleeding gums. If the patient notices blood oozing out from the gums while brushing, white tongue and general weakness, this medicine can be prescribe. It improves the process of oxygenation of blood.
- Phosphorus: This is the medicine for pregnant women. Sometimes, pregnant women suffer from bleeding gums due to hormonal imbalance. Phosphorus helps in curing the adverse effects of pregnancy hormones on the gums and oral region.
- Calcarea Carb: It cures bleeding gums. It is given to patients, who suffer from dry tongue at night.
Lipoma can be clearly understood as that fat tumour – like protrusion on your hands, which disappears when we put a finger on it. This is a very benign tumour that occurs in the body. It is caused due to the accumulation of fat cells. In most cases, these tumours are painless, although, these might be pain causing too.
Furthermore, the most common parts of the body where this growth develops are the hands, shoulders, neck and upper limbs. Lipoma can be treated with the help of homeopathic medicines. In case you find a lipoma growth anywhere in your body, the best option is to seek professional help. Some of the common homeopathic treatments that can cure lipoma are:
Calcarea Carb: This is the best medicine to treat lipoma in those who are overweight. A few symptoms and tests need to be performed on the patient before administering this medicine. The three parameters which are assessed before prescribing this medicine are excessive sweating through the head, sensitivity to cold air and special eating habits like craving for a particular kind of food. Apart from these three parameters, which are the main ones to be checked, it is also seen if the patient suffers from constipation and acidity. If these symptoms match with that of the patient, then Calcarea Carb is prescribed for treating lipomas.
Sulphur: The next in line to treat lipoma would be sulphur. In fact, sulphur and Calcarea Carb are mostly at par with each other. However, it remains to be seen which medicine suits who depending on the constitutional make of the person. Those patients with high intake of sweets in their diet, excessive sweating, sensitivity towards heat and dislike towards bathing are the best candidates for administering Sulphur for treating lipoma.
Belladonna: Though lipoma is usually painless, at times it can be painful too. In such situations, the pain is aggravated on touching the lump. Belladonna not only helps in subsiding the pain but also in dissolving the lump fully.
Thuja: This helps in dissolving any fatty lumps developing anywhere in the body. In case the patient suffers from high cholesterol, then this is the best medicine to be administered.
Lipoma is a very common condition, which develops in people due to the formation of a fatty lump. It is a condition which needs to be treated immediately, but with effective treatments, it can completely disappear.
Urticaria or hives are red, raised lesions that occur anywhere on the body, usually around the trunk, hands and legs. They appear as small round rings or large patches that changes shape, may itch and be surrounded by a red flare. They can be acute or chronic, with acute almost always being an allergic reaction. It is often due to unknown causes, ranging from chronic irritation to parasitic infection to temperatures to water types.
Homeopathy treats diseases as a whole, and similarly, when treating urticaria tries to identify associated symptoms and thereby treat the cause also. After a detailed discussion about predisposition and associated symptoms, a customized remedy will be prescribed, which may include one of the following common homeopathic remedies.
- Apis Mell: The hives consist of isolated patches that are painful, tender, itch at night, feel like bee stings, become purple. There is burning pain, slight fever, and warmth of the surrounding skin. It is worsened by changing weather and exercise, causing severe itching and burning. The patient may already have asthma.
- Arsenic Album: The urticaria is caused by eating shellfish and causes burning and restlessness. The condition gets worse being at the seaside and by getting into sea water. Arsenic is also useful to treat urticarial symptoms during the recession of the lesions. The person also could be down emotionally with depression, despair, indifference and irritability. If the lesions are more severe, the restlessness is also severe. It is worse after midnight, from 1 to 2 a.m.
- Rhus toxicodendron: Prepared from the leaves and bark of the plant poison ivy, Rhus works on multiple body systems including skin, joints, eyes, extremities, and overall vitality. In addition to urticaria, it is also used in cellulitis, arthritis, fevers, etc. It is effective if the urticaria has a burning sensation, inflamed reddened rash that is worsened by cold and improved by warmth.
- Urtica urens: Made from a plant called stinging nettle, which itself has a tendency to produce urticaria, it is used when there is urticaria from bee stings or after eating shellfish. The lesions are red with severe burning and itching, recurring every year, could be associated with weather changes.
- Natrum Muriaticum: The common salt sodium chloride is potentized, and its inner healing power activated. It is used for chronic urticaria, where the lesions develop after severe irritation.
- Dulcamara: The lesions develop followed a general prickly sensation setting in and at night when it is cold and damp. The hives are irregular white patches surrounded by a red area that itch badly. The hives are associated with violent cough, swelling of the lymph nodes, fever, restlessness, sleeplessness, decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, bitter taste, and intense aching in pit of stomach. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath and ask a free question.
Polycystic Ovarian Disease or PCOD is a hormonal system disorder occurring in women of reproductive age. It is also known as Stein-Leventhal syndrome. PCOD refers a unique set of symptoms, which occur when there is a hormonal imbalance in a woman’s body. The symptoms include late or no periods, pain in the pelvic region, heavy bleeding during periods, weight gain, growth of facial hair, acne and difficulty in conception or getting pregnant.
Cysts develop in the ovaries, which cause hormonal imbalances like the levels of androgen get raised more than the normal limits. Although androgens are the hormones for male, they are present in minor quantities in normal females. With the increase of androgen levels, it creates a disturbance in normal ovulation cycle leading to disturbance in menses.
All PCOD patients are advised to lose weight and do regular exercise. The common symptoms includes irregular menses, growth of facial hair and other parts of the body like arms, abdomen, chest, legs and fingers. An ultrasound examination can confirm the ovarian cysts. PCOD can lead to complications like type 2 diabetes, raised cholesterol levels, infertility, depression, cancer of uterus.
Losing weight helps to reduce high insulin level in the blood. In case of obesity, weight loss will reduce insulin resistance, stimulate ovulation and will improve fertility rate.
The conventional system of medicine has no cure for PCOD. Homeopathy however, offers the best alternative as it concentrates on treating and curing the root cause of the problem. Homeopathy believes that the human body is designed by nature to keep itself disease free and when its own internal vitality is unbalanced, the body becomes prone to disease. Once the vitality regains its original balance, the human body is able to nurse itself back to health without any external aid.
1. Apis Mellifica is best homeopathic medicine for the treatment of PCOD with stinging pains in the ovarian region coupled with tenderness over abdomen and uterine region.
2. Pulsatilla works great for patients of PCOD who suffer from scanty and late menses. It is suited for young girls in whom the PCOD starts at puberty.
3. If a person suffering from PCOD with bearing down pains from the back and abdomen, then Sepia works like magic. The menses are irregular with too late and scanty or early and profuse. The patient is irritable and indifferent.
4. Lachesis is for patients with aversion to tight clothes. The menses are short and flow is feeble accompanied with pains in the abdomen which get relieved after the flow starts.
5. Graphite work great for patients of PCOD suffering from constipation. The patient has intolerance to cold and often feels tearing pain in the stomach coupled with hardness in the ovarian region. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopathy and ask a free question.
Vomiting is a natural process for the body to rid itself of something it does not want, in the quickest way possible. Nausea is usually the prior warning of this process, although it can mean other things too. Vomiting is commonly caused by an infection in the stomach or intestines that may be due to food poisoning or an infection of an unknown origin.
Vomiting is not a disease in itself. It is a symptom that something is not alright with the body – it could be indigestion or kidney stones, medication side effect or pregnancy, alcohol or spoiled foods. Homeopathy believes in treating the underlying symptoms and the person as a whole. Listed below are some of the common homeopathic remedies which have been proven useful during the bouts of vomiting.
Arsenicum Album: If food poisoning is the cause, then this is the best remedy. There is a burning sensation in the stomach along with thirst, and small frequent sips of water are beneficial. The stools are dark, small in amount, and have a foul smell. The person is chilly, exhausted, and anxious.
Ipecacuanha (Ipecac): For prolonged vomiting, this is a good cure. Especially in pregnancy associated with belching and excessive saliva. This is also useful when watching moving objects for prolonged periods induces vomiting. There may be associated abdominal pain after a meal.
Carbo Vegetalis: If the vomiting is associated with indigestion, heartburn, flatulence, and a bloated feeling, carbo vegetalis can be the ideal remedy. Food regurgitation or GERD with a sour taste in the mouth is a good indicator for using this remedy. There is gas in the stomach which causes distention and burping, especially in children, and this remedy is very useful in such cases.
Ignatia: Vomiting is brought on by emotional stressors, associated with depression and trying to curb this feeling. The person may be crying and have mood swings and sleeplessness. This is also used in children who may complain of a lump in the throat. In children especially, everything that is said will be taken very personally.
Nux Vomica: This helps relieve nausea associated with gas and bloating sensation. It is especially useful in pregnancy where the person can be irritable and impatient and have vomiting after eating and in the morning. There is constant sense of retching. Children who have eaten too much food can be treated with this remedy. The child could also have stomach pain, headache, and irritability.
Antimonium crudum or Ant-c: The tongue is coated with a white layer and vomiting occurs soon after eating or drinking. There could be history of eating indigestible foods or overloaded stomach.
Kreosote: When undigested food stays in the stomach for prolonged periods or used in vomiting associated with cancerous growths and kidney diseases.
Aethusa: If a child is vomiting curd-like material followed by exhaustion, this is a good solution. The hungry child eats and goes through the bout of nausea, and the cycle repeats.
These are some simple homeopathic medicines; however, bear in mind that these should be taken only under supervision.
Addiction not only includes physical things we consume, such as drugs or alcohol, but also includes virtually anything, such abstract things as gambling to seemingly harmless products, such as chocolate, etc. In other words, addiction may refer to a substance dependence (e.g. drug addiction) or behavioral addiction (e.g. gambling addiction).
Causes: There is a link between the repeated uses of an addictive substance and how the human brain experience pleasure, its use has a nice reward, leading to further and more frequent use. The addictive substance, be it nicotine, alcohol or some drug actually causes physical changes in some nerve cells in the brain. After a while, the user of the potentially addictive substance does not get the same pleasure and has to increase the dose, as his/her body's tolerance to it increases. Eventually, the user no longer experiences pleasure from the substance and takes it simply to prevent withdrawal symptoms taking the substance just makes them feel normal. When tolerance increases, the risk of addiction is much greater.
Signs and Symptoms: A person starts to show symptoms when a person takes the substance, such as nicotine , alcohol etc. and has given a serious attempt to stop, but is unable to do so because of the withdrawal symptoms. The body of an addict will go in withdrawal state when once the level of the substance abused is below a certain level. When a person goes in withdrawal state it will show signs, such as craving, bouts of moodiness, bad temper, poor focus, extreme temperament, poor focus, continuous feeling of depression, emptiness, frustration, anger, bitterness and resentment. Apart from these the addict will also display symptoms such as increased appetite, insomnia, constipation,and diarrhea. Withdrawal caused by some substances can also trigger signs like violence, seizures, hallucination, sweating and trembling, etc. However, the addiction continues despite health problem awareness. An addicted person commonly feels they need their drug in order to deal with their problems.
Investigation of Addiction: Blood test is advised to determine whether the substance is still in the blood (whether the substance has been taken recently). DSM criteria for substance dependence that is a patient diagnosed with substance dependence (an addiction) must meet criteria laid out in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), a manual published by the American Psychiatric Association.
What you can do?: Acknowledge the problem and consult for help from an expert. Family members must be supportive in creating a congenial environment for the addicted person.
Role of Homeopathy in Management of Addiction: The first step for the addicted person is to acknowledge that there is a substance dependency problem (addiction problem). The next step is to get help. In most of the world there are several support groups and professional services available. Treatment options for addiction depend on several factors, including what type of substance it is and how it affects the patients. Typically, treatment includes a combination of inpatient and outpatient programs, counselling (psychotherapy), self-help groups, pairing with individual sponsors, and medication.
Talking of medication, Homoeopathy definitely has a major role to play in the de-addiction journey of a 'patient'. Over the years it has been seen that homeopathy has produced tremendous results in such cases. People have approached for quitting alcohol, smoking, drugs, etc. and majority of them have been wonderfully helped by Homoeopathy. Those who haven't achieved desirable results have either lacked willingness or conviction on their own part, or have had a non-congenial and non-co-operative environment at home and work place. For any de-addiction plan to be successful for a patient these 2 factors are the most important. A willing person with a co-operative and supportive environment is much more receptive and responsive to the medical treatment.
The commonest attacking area for any addictive substance is the Central Nervous System (CNS). The substance inhibits the release of neurotransmitters, which are responsible for carrying nerve impulses. Once these neurotransmitters are inhibited in their normal functioning, a person develops delayed nervous responses and irregular nerve impulses leading to addiction. It is a vicious circle. So, as the centre of attack is the CNS, a medical system that boosts and strengthens the CNS would automatically prove beneficial in such dreadful cases. Homoeopathy is that very medical science! The homoeopathic medicines are absorbed through the nerve root endings of the tongue and directly hit the CNS. There are some very powerful Homoeopathic medicines, which have the ability to shake up the CNS and work in a normal manner as it is used to be. These Homoeopathic medicines, thus have the ability to develop control and also the power to abstain from the substance in later stages of the treatment.
But the first and foremost attempt is made to manage the withdrawal symptoms. It is the fear of the withdrawal symptoms only that a patient may lose conviction and confidence in him and give in to the indulgence once again. This is where the role of family and friends also comes in. when the struggle of 1 man becomes fight for the whole team; chances are very high of coming out victorious. There are brilliant medicines in Homoeopathic science, which can help the person in managing and fighting with the withdrawal symptoms with ease. Medicines like Nux vomica, Kali phos., Arsenic Album, Coffea cruda, Aconite, Gelsemium, Argentum nitricum, Ipecac, Acid sulphurosum, Caladium, Daphna indica, Quercus, etc. have proved to be extremely effective in helping a person wean off completely of the addictive substances.
Mind the Mind: Over the past two issues, we took up the burning problem of addiction as a mental illness, explored its, nature and probable causes that go into the making of an addict. The current issue is aimed at spreading awareness about the available evidence based psychological treatments for de-addiction.
- Psychotherapy: Also called as 'talk therapy', is aimed at helping the patient to understand the link between their thoughts, feelings and behaviour so that the maladaptive ones can be replaced with more adaptive and productive processes. Interventions in terms of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), Motivation Enhancement Therapy (MET) and Behaviour Therapy are efficient in the treatment of addiction behaviour.
- Craving control: Use of certain medicines and behavioural techniques can help a person deal with the intense feelings of craving when it seems too much to bear. It gives a sense of greater control to the person over the substance, which in turn motivates him/her to stay away from using the substance. Many people report that they tend to continue the abuse the substance since they are unable to handle the period of intense craving, which can come all of a sudden.
- Relapse prevention: Arguably it is the most important component of de-addiction program. Leaving the substance is not that hard, but staying away from it is the most difficult part as reported by many patients with addiction. To ensure that the person stays clean and healthy without the substance, they are taught some techniques like asking for help whenever they feel the need to do the substance or staying away from potentially, dangerous situations, like going to party where alcohol is available. With therapy, the individual gains more confidence in his/her own abilities rather than depending on the substance for facing life situations. In addition to this, they also start enjoying their life without the substance. Both the patient and his/her family play an important part in this process hence they are educated about it and are advised regarding appropriate ways of ensuring sobriety for the patient.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA): It is a self-hellp group in which ex-alcoholics come together and share their experiences, for instance how they got into drinking, how it affected their life and now how they are maintaining their sobriety. These are mostly weekly sessions and have been found to be very effective in supporting the recovery of alcoholics to stay motivated and be clean without the use of alcohol. Similar to AA, there is NA (Narcotics Anonymous for drug addicts) and Al-Anon (for the family members and friends of problem drinkers).
- Yoga and exercise: A healthy daily routine with yoga or regular exercise promotes feelings of general well-being and ensures healthy mind and body. It detoxifies the body faster and even helps in recovering from the damage caused due to excessive substance use.
- Social skill training: An important aspect for being away from drugs/alcohol is the ability to say NO to such offers from others. Assertive behaviour, healthy communication pattern and good problem solving ability are skills that are taught to assist the person to stay healthy without feeling the need to take the substance.
One of the simplest, yet very powerful principles of staying healthy is 'ONE DAY AT A TIME'! Instead of making any long-term plans for staying sober, which might seem over-whelming and extremely difficult, just plan for that very day and DECIDE to be clean without the substance.