It is the cancer of blood forming tissues, hindering the body's ability to fight infections. It is medically called Leukaemia. The symptoms are:
1.Fever, night sweats, swollen lymph nodes
2. Feelings of fatigue, tiredness
3. easy bleeding, frequent infections
4. Bone or joint pain
5. Weight loss
6. Enlargement of spleen
HOW IS BLOOD CANCER DIAGNOSED?
An oncologist diagnoses leukaemia by the following:
1. Medical history and a physical exam
2. Laboratory tests of the blood sample
3. Bone marrow biopsy
4. Chest X Ray
5. Lumbar puncture to remove a sample of cerebrospinal fluid to determine leukaemia cells.
6. MRI and CT scan
HOW IS BLOOD CANCER TREATED?
The oncologist will usually recommend treatment based on the stage of the disease. A bone marrow transplant may be recommended in certain cases along with blood transfusion and chemotherapy or radiation for advanced stage patients.
DID YOU KNOW?
There are 137 types of blood cancer and related disorders.
Blood cancer is a type of a serious illness which can damage your blood, bone marrow and the lymphatic system in your body. Blood cancers affect the function of blood cells in the body. They start from the bone marrow where the production of blood generally originates. Your blood loses the ability to function properly and fight infections. The normal cell development in the blood is interrupted by the abnormal growth of blood cells.
Diagnosis of blood cancer can be done by biopsy where one part of your body is cut off and then examined. A bone marrow biopsy can also tell whether you have any form of blood cancer. A blood count test can also calculate the relative proportion of white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets circulating in your bloodstream to determine whether you have blood cancer.
Leukemia is a type of blood cancer which affects the bone marrow and blood. The blood forming tissue affects your ability to fight the infection and is a very rare but serious disorder which will require immediate medical attention. Rapidly growing leukemia can cause fatigue, weight loss and easy bleeding.
There are four main types of leukemia based on acute or chronic condition:
1. Acute myeloid leukemia.
2. Chronic myeloid leukemia.
3. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
4. Acute lymphocytic leukemia
Lymphatic cancer is a type of cancer which develops in the blood and the bone marrow. Chronic lymphocytic cancer has a slow progress than other types of leukemia and affects lymphocytes which is a type of white blood cell that helps your body to fight infections. Chronic leukemia can take many years before they start to show symptoms in your body.
Blood cancer cure is still under research and the following three are the prominent treatment methods:
1. Chemotherapy- In this type of treatment the drugs is injected into your vein and they travel all over your body to halt the progress and growth of cancer cells. The drugs travel through your blood stream and require lot of lab test and intensive care.
2. Radiation therapy- Radiation therapy is given to destroy the cancer cells in your body. It is then followed by stem cell transplant.
3. Stem cell transplantation- Stem cells collected from bone marrow or umbilical cord blood are infused into your body. The stem cells are healthy and help you to recover from cancer.
Blood cancer is rare disorder and is recorded mainly after the age of 40. It requires a lot of intensive care with lab tests and diagnosis. You should follow the procedure given by your healthcare provider to get cured properly. Lybrate offers you the best chance to seek professional advices about blood cancer. Lybrate has the best medical practitioners and oncologists in Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Delhi. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more leukemia and its treatment.
You can consult doctors online for Blood Cancer from anywhere, anytime at Lybrate. View consultation fee, reviews and patient feedback before consulting. Find best doctors in Ajit Prasad Nagar, Arvind Marg, Auli Village, Balawala, Banjarawala, Bhauwala and in any other locality in Dehradun.
You can see above a list of top doctors in Dalanwala, Dehradun for Blood Cancer. Ask a question for free at Lybrate today and receive answers from best doctors.