PG in Assisted Reproductive Technology, MD - Obstetrics & Gynaecology, DGO, MBBS
A miscarriage, though heart wrenching, does not imply the end of the world. Unless the miscarriage is an outcome of a serious health complication, there is nothing to lose heart. In fact, many women have had successful pregnancies even after a miscarriage. Barring a few exceptions, a miscarriage during the first pregnancy reduces the chance of a miscarriage during subsequent pregnancies significantly. However, it is best to get your doubts and apprehensions cleared before you try to conceive again. An experienced gynaecologist can assist and guide you better throughout the process.
1. A lot of couples wonder about the right time to conceive after a miscarriage. Do not rush into things. Miscarriage can drain out a couple physically, mentally and emotionally. Give your mind and body some time to cope with the loss. Your decision to embrace parenthood should not be influenced by any undue and baseless pressure. Patience and perseverance will make the subsequent pregnancies less stressful. To avoid complications in your next pregnancy, it is best to wait 6 months to 1 year after a miscarriage.
2. Do not indulge in sexual intercourse immediately after a miscarriage. This might result in immense pain and vaginal infections. If you experience any discomfort, share it with your partner and the physician concerned. Getting pregnant immediately after a miscarriage will do both the mother and the foetus no good.
3. In case of two or more miscarriages, getting to the underlying cause becomes very important. Medical conditions such as diabetes, thyroid problems (hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism), obesity, chromosomal aberrations or infertility often interferes with pregnancy. With timely medical intervention, it is possible to have a healthy and safe pregnancy. To minimise the chances of a miscarriage, pregnant women are given prenatal vitamins (folic acid in particular).
4. A pregnant lady should eat healthy and live healthy. The goodness of fruits and vegetables need no special mention. Regular consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits can do the mother and the developing foetus, a world of good. A healthy diet can lower the instances of a miscarriage greatly.
5. Stress and anxiety are a big no during pregnancy. Relax and try to be happy as much as possible. Go for small walks, read books, listen to music. Proper and sound sleep is extremely important. One can also indulge in light exercise. However, to be on a safer side, exercise under an expert supervision. If you have been to drinking and smoking, quit the unhealthy habits at the earliest.
A miscarriage should not push you into a state of depression. You can still have a normal pregnancy. Know your body well. Take the decision wisely only after a proper consultation with your physician.