M.sc-DFSM, B.Sc. - Dietitics / Nutrition
Diabetes is a metabolic disease that results in too much sugar level in blood or high blood glucose level.
It would be controlled by some precautions:
Foods to be freely use:
1. All types of vegetable soup with no thickening agents like sauce or butter.
2. All green leafy vegetables.
3. Fruits such as lemon, orange, mausambi, apple, papaya, grapes, pomegranate, guava, pineapple - 2 slices, watermelon, muskmelon, strawberry 4-5, can be taken in suggested amount should be consumed whole.
4. Milk and milk products[skimmed milk] like paneer, curd, etc
5. Cereals with bran should be eaten such as wheat, rice, maize, oats, etc
6. Vegetables should be blend of salads, green and leafy vegetables that grow in particular season.
7. Lukewarm water should be taken instead of cold/chilled water, help in weight loss.
8. Fruits should be 4-5 portions daily, they are rich in photochemical and antioxidants.
9. Intake of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats sources are olive, walnut, groundnuts, avocados.
10. Small frequent 3 meals with 3 snacks not should be skipped.
11. Exercise /walking daily at least 1/2 an hr.
Foods to be avoid:
1. Restricted use of underground roots and tubers.
2. All drinks like cola, pepsi, etc.
3. Ghee, butter, fat should be restricted.
4. Starched foods like rice, white flour, corn flour, etc.
5. Egg yolk, margarine, cheese, jam, jellies, pizza, burger, etc.
6. Avoid red meat that is loaded with saturated fats.
7. Avoid spicy foods sweets like cake, pastries, cookies, baked, chocolates, pudding, and ice cream.
8. Avoid consuming canned foods as they are high on preservatives, fresh made foods should be consumed.
9. Avoid taking water in between meals and also immediately after meals. Take gap of 1/2 an hr.
10. Avoid high calorie snacks like pakoda, samosa, vada pav, french fries, and all deep fries.