Hypertension or high blood pressure is a condition in which the long term force of the blood against the artery walls is high enough to cause heart disease. You can have hypertension for years, without any significant symptoms. Even when blood pressure reaches dangerously high levels, some people do not show any symptoms. Some common symptoms are:
• Shortness of breath
HOW IS HYPERTENSION DIAGNOSED?
The blood pressure is checked by a specialist who will usually place an inflatable arm cuff around the arm and measure the blood pressure using a pressure-measuring gauge. The doctor may also recommend routine tests, such as a urine test (urinalysis), blood tests, a cholesterol test and an electrocardiogram — a test that measures your heart's electrical activity.
HOW IS HYPERTENSION TREATED?
A healthy diet, reducing salt intake, exercising and reducing alcohol intake can help in reducing the symptoms of hypertension. Medications such as beta blockers or thiazide diuretics could be prescribed to patients.
DID YOU KNOW?
According to a study, approximately one billion adults have hypertension, and it is slightly more frequent in men. Hypertension increases the risk of peripheral vascular disease, heart failure, chronic kidney disease, and dementia, among others.
The pressure exerted against the walls of the arteries when your heart pumps blood into your body is known as blood pressure. High blood pressure can cause heart attack or stroke and is known as hypertension in medical terms. You may not even be aware of having hypertension and high blood pressure which can cause complete and continuous damage to your blood vessels and your heart. It can be detected by doctors and there are several medical tests that can help you get back to normal blood pressure levels. You can also follow regular high blood pressure diet to keep your heart healthy and lead a better life with your family.
Symptoms of Hypertension:
High blood pressure causes hypertension and one in three times you may not even be aware that you have hypertension. But high blood pressure causes certain symptoms which you can be eventually diagnosed by your doctor. Regular check up with your doctor in case of hypertension and high blood pressure is a mandatory norm which you have to compulsorily follow. The following symptoms show when you have hypertension:
1. Hypertension causes severe headache and if it occurs frequently then it is a sign that you may have high blood pressure and need a checkup with your doctor for hypertension. You may need to skip some tough mental and physical activity if your doctor suggests so.
2. If chest, ear and neck show pounding signs on an increased level, then there are chances that it may be caused due to hypertension and you may need a medical health check-up.
3. High blood pressure or hypertension causes difficulty in breathing and other respiratory problems. In pulmonary hypertension the blood pressure increases in pulmonary arteries, veins and capillaries which eventually lead to shortness of breath. This is a major symptom of high blood pressure level and it is recommended that you to follow a routine high blood pressure diet.
4. High blood pressure causes chest pain and if you have hypertension than you may face the symptoms of irregular heart beat. Regular health checks and monitoring of blood pressure levels is necessary along with a high blood pressure diet plan if you face these symptoms regularly.
Having these problems is a very serious health condition and could lead to sudden heart attack or stroke which may even cause death. You could also have hypertensive crisis and it is required that you follow a high blood pressure diet and avoid tough mental and physical activity. Kidney failure and eye problems are other diseases that high blood pressure causes in your body.
High blood pressure is caused by many factors and can be easily avoided if you follow your doctor’s advice regularly. Some of the factors that can induce high blood pressure are given below:
1. The Hormone levels in your body.
2. Blood vessels, nervous system and kidney conditions you possess since birth and the time when you experience high blood pressure symptoms.
3. Salt and water levels in your body.
4. Pulmonary hypertension also causes shortness of breath and frequent swelling in the legs and also fainting.
High blood pressure will affect nearly one in three people globally in their life. There are chances that you or someone in your family has high blood pressure or hypertension. Lybrate offers you the best medical practitioners and cardiologists related to high blood pressure and hypertension in Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore, Pune. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about the high blood pressure diet plan and causes.
Top are results of best doctors for Hypertension in Adyar. You may see the doctor reviews by their patients and their peers and choose the best doctor. You can even post a free question on Lybrate.