Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Umayaiyal Murugesan
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Umayaiyal MurugesanYour feedback matters!
Chlamydia is a very common STI caused by bacteria. Those patients who are suffering from chlamydia usually don't see the side effects in the early stages, which makes it that much more difficult to diagnose it. Chlamydia can bring about a lot of severe problems in the later stages. These include not being able to get pregnant later or causing dangers in pregnancies. This disease is often easily spread since it shows no noticeable symptoms and can be passed on the partner very easily. 75% of the infection in women and 50% of the infections in men cannot be noticed and are without any symptoms.
Symptoms: Since the side-effects are not always visible, when they do happen, they are normally recognizable within one to three weeks of contacting and include the following:
In women these are:
- Vaginal discharge with strong odour
- Abnormal bleeding during periods
- Excruciating periods
- Stomach pain with fever
- Pain while engaging in sexual activities
- Burning around the vagina
- Pain during urination
- Cloudy discharge from the tip of the penis
- Excruciating pain while urinating
- Burning around the opening of the penis
- Swelling and pain in the testicles
Treatment: Chlamydia is easily treatable. Since it is bacterial in nature, it's treated with anti-infection agents. Following are some of the most common treatments for chlamydia in men as well as women:
- Azithromycin is an anti-infection generally recommended in large dosage, yet the dosage may be spread out more than 5 days.
- Doxycycline is an anti-microbial that must be taken twice every day for around one week. Your specialist may recommend different anti-infection agents.
- Regardless of which antibiotic you are given, you should follow the dosage guidelines properly to ensure the infection is cured completely. This can take up to two weeks, even with the single-dosage medications.
- Try not to engage in sexual relations while your treatment is going on. Unfortunately, you can get chlamydia again in case you're uncovered, regardless of the fact that you've had it and it was treated.
- Women with extreme chlamydia infection may require hospitalisation, intravenous anti-microbial and painkillers. Your doctor might use a few tests to diagnose chlamydia. He or she will probably take samples from your urethra and cervix and then send it for further analysis. There are also other tests that include urine samples for presence of bacteria. Sometimes, even blood tests are taken depending upon your symptoms or in case the doctor is not able to diagnose it with previous methods and tests.
After taking the medication, individuals should get a follow-up on the treatment after three months to make certain that the disease is cured. This is highly important in case you are not sure whether your partner has been treated or not. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
The act of pleasuring oneself is one topic, which has always been questioned by the society at large, but in reality it offers a number of benefits. Masturbation refers to the act of inducing sexual arousal and deriving pleasure from it by stimulating the genitals. This may be done using your own hands, sex toys, fingers or grouping together the effect of these. Mutual masturbation among partners is also a fairly common phenomenon. There are varied opinions on the topic, whether actual sexual penetration gives more pleasure or masturbation. Read on to find out what effect each has on your body and which one is more preferred by most people.
- Health benefits: Studies reveal that engaging in sexual intercourse is associated with a lot of health benefits like controlling your blood pressure level, keeping the prostrate and heart healthy for men, acting as a pain reliever etc. Masturbating may not affect your health in the way sex does, but it certainly has a different set of benefits, which includes preventing cancer, boosting immunity, reducing risks of premature ejaculation etc.
- Associated risks: Sexual intercourse often comes with various risks like STDs IF PARTNER IS INFECTED or chances of unwanted conception IF UNSAFE SEX. Masturbation has comparatively lower health risks than sex, though it is not entirely free from drawbacks. You can get skin irritations and in rare cases, even penile fractures due to excessive masturbation.
- Effect on relationship: The quality and frequency of the sexual intercourse you have with your partner has a direct effect on your relationship. However, masturbation mostly does not involve your partner's participation and so doesn't visibly have a reflection on your relationship.
- Role in knowing your sexual preferences: In case of both men and women, masturbation helps people to identify their sexual preferences and things which give them greater pleasure. This usually leads to a more satisfying sex life and is considered to be easier than figuring out what pleases you while having sex.
Even after considering the above points, which one (either sex or masturbation) gives you more pleasure, completely depends on your personal preferences.
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is a process wherein an egg is fertilized by a sperm in a laboratory dish to form the embryo (baby's first cell) which after growth in artificial medium in the lab is transferred into the uterus of women, In general, a blood sample is collected to determine whether you're pregnant or not about 10-14 days after the eggs are retrieved.
Coming to the success of the procedure, a number of factors are at play and these are:
- The age at which you get pregnant - A factor that plays a role in influencing your chances of experiencing success in your IVF procedure is the age at which you opt for this procedure. The lower your age, the chances that you may get pregnant and deliver a healthy child using your own eggs witness an increase. On the other hand, if you're aged 41 and above, or your egg reserve is very low donor eggs are the most preferred option as they help to increase your prospects of meeting a success.
- Lifestyle habits - Certain lifestyle factors can significantly affect your prospects of getting pregnant through this route. Smoking can reduce your prospect of success using this procedure by about 50%. It can cause you to have lesser number of eggs retrieved during the procedure while increasing instances of miscarriages. Likewise, obesity, alcohol use, consumption of excessive caffeine and drugs can adversely affect your chances of getting pregnant using IVF.
- Cause of Infertility - If your supply of eggs is normal, success rate using IVF is high. Women who suffer from the problem of endometriosis experience lesser chances of getting pregnant than women who have unexplained fertility.
- Reproductive history - IVF success rate chances are higher if you've delivered a baby previously using IVF.
- Embryo status - Embryos that are better developed with good grade stand a higher chance of experiencing success than less developed embryos. More importantly, not every embryo is able to survive the development process. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an IVF Specialist.
Hello sir, my Friend was in depression from last some days and she taken 10-12 pills of unknown remedies. Bt she she vomited just after that. Now she is facing problem in menstruation. She feeling more pain. And color of blood is dark and brown. And bleeding is also more. please suggest what should we do.
I'm 24 years and I'm married my periods is not regular but last two months it's come as regular and now I check pregnancy it's negative what should I do for getting pregnant.
I am 24 years old female suffering from PCOD my last period was on aug 10 2015, now its almost 5 months I didn't get my periods and rapidly gaining weight around my belly area. Please provide solution.
I'm was one n half month pregnancy then I abortion for some reason on 10 th and I'm still bleeding. Can you tell me how long bleeding take after abortion?
Hello Doctor From some months my period coming irregularly. Once it comes only for one day. What I should do. T regular periods . Because from this. The hairs. Increased. On my face. I'm too much worried about. Tell me? What I should do?
Beer belly is a word that is used to describe a fat tummy that results from excessive consumption of alcoholic drinks. In case of any alcohol drink, the liver tends to burn alcohol instead of fat which leads to bigger tummies. Basically, if the calorie intake is higher than calorie expenditure, then fat tends to accumulate in the body.
Now if you want to turn that beer belly into six pack abs, then you need to follow these rules:
- Limit carbohydrate consumption: This means you have to cut down on sugar and starch based foods such as refined flour, aerated drinks and anything that has sugar in it. Follow a strict diet that focuses on limited amount of whole grains. Avoid simple carbohydrates which tend to spike blood sugar levels and aid in fat accumulation. Reduce your portion sizes to decrease your overall calorie consumption.
- Eat fiber: Increase fiber consumption as fiber is beneficial for losing fat. It helps in you feeling fuller and thus, eat less. Fiber also reduces the chances of various life threatening diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and bad cholesterol levels in the body. Eat foods that are rich in fiber such as beans, lentils and broccoli.
- Weight training: Weight training helps in losing body fat by increasing muscle mass in the body. Muscle burns calories at rest, so more muscle means more calorie burnt. Weight training also increases your metabolism which means your overall calorie expenditure will increase significantly. If you don't have access to a gym then combine bodyweight exercises such as pushups, squats and pull ups in a circuit. A sample workout circuit would be 20 push up, 20 squats and 5 pull ups one after the other. Rest for a minute and then repeat the circuit 5 times.
- Cardio: Cardio is very important in losing fat from all over your body. Opt for HIIT (high intensity interval training) instead of steady state cardio like jogging at the same pace over a period of time. Too much steady state cardio increases cortisol levels in the body leading to muscle loss. Instead focus on HIIT which means you do an exercise at full throttle for a short period of time such as 30 seconds. Rest for 20 seconds and then to another exercise for 30 seconds. Repeat the procedure for another 10 minutes. This method keeps your metabolism elevated for 48 hours after your workout.