Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. T A Amuthan
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. T A AmuthanYour feedback matters!
The term sinus is usually used in reference to the cavities near the nose. If these cavities become inflamed or swollen, the condition is known as sinusitis. If this condition lasts for more than 12 weeks, it is categorized as chronic sinusitis. This leads to a buildup of mucus that can make breathing difficult. Home remedies may help relieve some of the symptoms associated with this condition but in most cases, medication is required.
Symptoms of Chronic Sinusitis
Sinusitis usually affects adults but in some cases, children may be affected as well. Symptoms of this condition can be categorized as primary symptoms and secondary symptoms. In order for it to be diagnosed with chronic sinusitis, at least 2 of the primary symptoms should be present. These include:
- Thick discharge from the nose or discharge that flows down the back of the throat. This discharge may be yellowish or greenish in colour.
- Difficulty breathing through the nose because of nasal congestion.
- Swelling, tenderness and pain around the nose, eyes, cheeks and forehead.
- Loss of smell and taste in the case of adults.
- A persistent cough in the case of children.
The secondary symptoms of this condition include:
- Pain in the ear
- Pain in the teeth and upper jaw
- A cough that is worse at night
- A sore throat
- Persistent bad breath
- Frequent headaches
Cause of Chronic Sinusitis
Chronic sinusitis may be caused by a number of factors. The most common amongst these are:
- Nasal polyps: This refers to the growth of tissue in the nasal passages that block the air path and allow mucus to build up.
- Deviated nasal septum: The septum is a wall that separates both nostrils. In some cases, this wall may deviate so as to block the sinus passages.
- Respiratory tract infections: Cold is the most common infection responsible for chronic sinusitis. Such infections can thicken the sinus membranes and block the passageway for mucus to drain out. This infection may be caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi.
- Allergies: Allergies such as hay fever can block the sinus passages and lead to chronic sinusitis. Asthma also causes chronic sinusitis. a reaction to aspirin may also cause a blockage in the sinus passages.
- Other medical conditions: Medical conditions such as HIV, gastroesophageal reflux and cystic fibrosis can also cause chronic sinusitis. Patients suffering from diseases related to the immune system have a high risk of suffering from chronic sinusitis.