Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sornam
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. SornamYour feedback matters!
Hi I was pregnant with twins after iui but after 23 weeks my cervix got open and I delivered babies on 21 june which are not alive now. My question is when can I again start having contact with my husband and from when I can start planning my next pregnancy and is there any chance I can conceive twins again? I have pcos.
I have married before 5 years. I didn't get any child . One issue my penis front side covered with the skin. May be that is the reason I didn't get baby. I have smoking and drinking habit.Please help me for getting conceive.
Please help me to get my period immediately within 2 days I have function I enjoy freely. My age is 21 years old I m married but now a days I do not have sex. N my last date is 21 Dec actually exactly yaad nai coz kbi b fix nai raheti.
When should I introduced my PREMATURE baby milk bottle now she's 2 months and weight 2.5 kg now she's feed with dropper.
I am 30 years old. Trying for pregnancy. One cycle failures by ivf. Now I am in iui procedure. I completed 14 days now I am getting white discharge is it any symptom or normal?
Hi doctor, Me and my girlfriend had unprotected sex 20 day ago and and she took an I-pill after that. After 5 days she got her periods and now she is getting white sticky water coming out of her vagina. Does it means she is pregnant? Kindly suggest.
Hello, I got married since last 8 months. I have been having sex frequently with my wife. We also perform oral sex. My wife likes when I do oral sex on her. My question is, is there any harm in swallowing my wife's vaginal secretions?
Cervical cancer can throw life completely off balance. It is one of the most common types of cancer affecting women worldwide. Lack of an early diagnosis makes this life threatening condition almost untreatable. A Pap smear also referred to as a Pap Test comes as a ray of hope for many women.
A Pap smear is a screening test that plays a pivotal role in the diagnosis and detection of cervical cancer in women. A Pap smear may further be used to point out any abnormalities in the cervical cells which may have a potential to turn malignant in the future. Doctors recommend all women (between 21-65 years of age) to undergo a pap smear to be on the safer side. While most women are advised to repeat the pap smear between every 3-5 years, women with the following conditions or ailments should be extra careful.
- Women who are HIV positive or those with a weak immune system.
- Those who have undergone an organ transplant.
- Any woman whose pap smear indicates the presence of precancerous cells.
- Women who had chemotherapy sessions.
The above mentioned conditions do not necessarily imply a 100% probability of cervical cancer. Consult your doctor and follow the necessary advice and precautions.
The procedure involved in a Pap smear
The Pap test is not a very tedious process and is often carried out in the doctor's clinic itself. The person to undergo the test is made to lie down on her back (the knees should be in a bent position). The physician then carefully inserts a speculum into the vagina. The main idea is to widen the vaginal walls so that the doctor can have a clear view of the cervix. Next, using a spatula, the doctor will collect samples of your cervical cells and send it for examination.
The significance of the Pap smear result
- A negative test indicates a healthy cervix with no precancerous cells.
- A positive result can, however, have many implications, such as there can be a condition known as dysplasia (minute alterations in the cervical cells). There may be some inflammation. However, the condition may be nothing to lose your sleep over. In many women, the condition heals by itself. A thorough investigation, (colonoscopy followed by a biopsy) may be needed if the problem persists for long.
Further, there can be
- Squamous intraepithelial lesion: This, unfortunately, indicates the presence of precancerous cells.
- Squamous cell cancer: As the name suggests, this more than often, confirms the presence of malignant or cancer cells.
- Atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance: Here the squamous cells appear very flat and thin, growing on the cervical surface. The condition may not necessarily indicate something serious. The person concerned may require further tests for a better interpretation of the condition.
A Pap smear is for your good. Go for a Pap smear and also encourage women in your circle to indulge in this healthy practice.