Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shakunthala Raj D
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Shakunthala Raj DYour feedback matters!
What is Triphala? Can any age group take Triphala. How much quantity should we take daily? What are the benefits especially for Women above 40 like me? Is there any side effects?
Well actually In my sputum coming with blood I have a pain in my left chest and I can't breath easy I felt like someone push my chest.
Sir me premature ejaculation se bahut pareshan hu. Jabhi sex karta hu. 2 ,3 time everyday same problem here .I take only within 1 minute .so I sad .can you give me good advice for my sex life .Please tell.
I'm 16 year old boy named as anurag I have a problem I automatically started vomiting specially in morning. What should I do doctor?
Epilepsy is a form of chronic disorder and it is characterized by recurrent seizures. The episodes of epileptic seizures may differ from person to person. These seizures could be a result of genetic disorder or a result of trauma or stroke. During a seizure, a patient may also experience symptoms of neurological disorders and sometimes lose consciousness.
Medical help for epilepsy
Epilepsy itself cannot be cured using medication, but proper medicines help in eliminating recurrent seizures. These medicines stabilize the electrical activity within the brain preventing seizures.
How effective is the medication for epilepsy?
The success of controlling seizures using medicines depends on the type and severity of epilepsy. Medicines for epilepsy are usually very effective and may fully keep seizures under control. However, controlling seizures caused due to brain problems may be more difficult. Usually, epilepsy medicines can control seizures for a long period of time when they are taken regularly.
When is medical help needed?
The decision about when to start medicines for epilepsy is a tricky one. This is because a first seizure cannot confirm whether a person has an on-going epilepsy problem. A second seizure may occur after many years or may not happen at all. Prediction of seizures is also quite difficult.
The severity of seizures also indicates when to start medicines for treatment. In case a first seizure is quite severe, medication should be started at once. Some people have very mild seizures even though they may be recurring in nature, and medication can be avoided in this situation. After first seizure MRI and EEG may help to know whether you have the risk of second seizure or not.
All the pros and cons must be thought over before starting medications for the treatment of epilepsy. It is advisable to wait for a second seizure and then start medications for treatment. In most cases, medication is started after a second seizure occurs, twelve months within the first seizure. You should always consult a doctor to know when you need to start taking medicines to treat the condition.
For making the most out of the medicines to control seizures, you should follow certain steps:
- You must take medications exactly as your doctor has prescribed.
- Before switching to generic versions of your medicines or before taking other prescribed medicines, you must consult your doctor.
- You should never stop taking the medicines.
- In case you experience enhanced depression, mood swings and suicidal thoughts, you should talk to your doctor immediately.
- In case you have migraine, you should let your doctor know so that he can prescribe you anti-epileptic medicines, which also prevent migraines.
Medicines cannot treat the underlying cause of epilepsy, but these help in controlling seizures and this is the most common symptom of epilepsy. Medication should be started at a proper time and must be continued without stopping. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurologist.
Diabetes is usually associated with the insulin and glucose absorption of the body. It is basically a digestive disorder where the body is not able to transport the glucose absorbed from the food to the cells, due to a lack of proper insulin production. This makes the blood sugar level rise.
Following are some of the changes that you can make to improve your blood sugar levels and keep your condition under control:
- Maintain a healthy BMI - Likewise, try to lose those extra kilos that may be weighing you down and increasing your sugar levels. You don't have to lose all the weight in one go, you can do so little by little. To lose weight gradually and consequently achieve a healthy BMI, you must have more of fruit and vegetables and less of sugary items and processed food along with exercising regularly.
- Have a fixed quantity of food - Apart from knowing the right foods to eat and the balance that you need to maintain between the different types, it is also important to know about portion sizes and carbohydrate count. This is because among the different food classes, it's chiefly carbohydrates that influence your blood glucose levels. So, you need to keep track of the amount of carbohydrates that you've consumed in order to arrive at the right insulin dosage.In addition to keeping count of your carbohydrate consumption, understanding the right portion sizes for the different types of food is also extremely vital for better management of your ailment.
- Control your stress - Stress is a risk factor for Type 2 diabetes. When you're under stress, your body produces stress hormones (cortisol) that can cause your blood sugar levels (and even blood pressure)to rise. So, preventing or controlling stress becomes necessary to keep your diabetes under control.
- Stay fit with physical activity - The first lifestyle change you can make is to increase your level of physical activity. This can help you in burning extra calories, thereby keeping your blood sugar levels in check. Spending 30 minutes a day exercising is ideal.If you're not fond of exercising or don't have the time for it, even performing simple activities like walking, vacuuming or doing your laundry can help to lower glucose levels while burning calories.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!