Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Senthil Kumar
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Senthil KumarYour feedback matters!
How to Dry Baby's Hair?
Baby towels often have a hood attached to it that can be used to gently blot your baby's hair. Do not rub as the baby's hairs are fine and very delicate and vulnerable to damage. Also, never try to blow-dry a baby's hair, as babies' skin is very much sensitive than an adult's skin and can be very easily burnt. Their hair also dries very fast on its own.
How to Comb Baby's Hair?
Comb your baby's hair with a soft-bristle brush or a tooth brush that won't snag on tangles or pull your baby's hair. Avoid headbands or ponytails, as they pull your baby's hair back too tight, which can damage hair.
Cradle Cap-Should I worry?
Cradle cap refers to the fleshy, red flakes on the scalp of baby. This is not harmful but some may be bothered by it. Before a bath, massage a little bit of coconut oil into your baby's scalp to loosen the dry skin. Gently rub the oil into your baby's scalp with a ultra soft brush or wash cloth to release the flakes. Always wash your baby's hair with a gentle baby shampoo. Cradle cap should get better on its own. If it sticks around or spreads to the face of baby, or neck or other parts of the body, you should see your doctor.
What Oil should I Apply on My Baby's Hair?
Many new parents try to apply baby oil in the newborns scalp under the impression that it will lead to hair growth. This is a biggest misconception. Baby oil actually causes dryness of the scalp and clogs the pores of the head. Often the cause of cradle cap in babies is the usage of the baby oil. For healthy hair growth it would suffice coconut oil is applied onto your infant's hair and scalp.
When should I Plan the First Haircut?
There is no particular set time for a first haircut as it will not harm hair growth of the baby. Whenever you feel your child needs a trim, you should go ahead and get it done.
Why my Baby has Bald Spots? What Should I Do?
Sometimes babies have bald spots on their head because children lie in the supine position most of the time. Encourage the "tummy time" when your baby is awake, to allow their head to round out and prevent bald patches.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a specilized dermatologist and ask a free question.
Building your child’s confidence and self image is an important part of raising a child. Self image can be defined as a child’s view of himself and his strengths. If a child is comfortable with his self image, he will have confidence in himself. A foundation of self confidence is key to a child’s success in his adult life. In their childhood years, a parent is the main source of building a child’s self worth or self confidence. Here are a few ways you can develop your child’s self confidence.
1. Avoid negative self talk: Children learn by watching their parents. Hearing parents berate themselves will make children do the same. Talking badly about yourself can reinforce a low self esteem. Hence avoid talking negatively about yourself and stop your child from doing it as well. If your child talks negatively about himself, give him evidence to prove the opposite or give them meaningful compliments. Also avoid calling your child names to shame him as these are likely to stay ingrained in his mind.
2. Celebrate uniqueness: Don’t make your child feel like he has to live up to the standards set by siblings or peers. Further, do not pressurize them to fulfill your dreams. Recognize your child’s strengths and celebrate his unique abilities. Help them develop their talents and set their own standards for themselves.
3. Let your child make decisions: Empower your child by allowing them to make decisions about simple things like what game to play or what to eat for dinner. Make them feel that their views are valued and thus teach them to be an active member of the family.
4. Let them work things out for themselves: Spoon feeding your child makes things easier at the time, but in the long run can have a negative effect on their self confidence. Be patient and let your child try and do things for himself. As he meets and overcomes new challenges, his confidence will grow. Give your child age appropriate chores to do around the house. This helps build responsibility and a feeling of competency.
5. Be genuine about your praise: Children are highly intuitive and can tell the difference between sincere praise and something being said merely for the sake of it. For example, if your child has made a drawing, instead of simply telling your child that he is an artist in the making be more specific and praise his choice or colours or ability of colouring within the lines.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The homeopathic approach is gaining popularity as an alternative treatment for hyperactivity in children. Homeopathy is gaining recognition in the conventional field of medicine and has been subject to many clinical trials. Homeopathic treatment for children can be separated into two categories: self-limiting, acute conditions such as cold, sore throat, and stomach flu, or persistent, chronic conditions such as allergies and eczema. Homeopathy is successful in both categories.
Homeopathic medicine when given in proper manner can improve the immunity of your children, which in turn enable their body to deal with illness throughout their childhood. It can also help prevent illness and give support through difficult periods of their life. With Homeopathy children's health can improve and chronic conditions often clear up completely and never come back. It is safe with no harmful side effects. Homeopathy cures by looking at the whole individual and can be effective in unexpected ways. If you have tried everything else and are still not in wonderful good health why not give Homeopathy a chance to help you.
Homeopathic Medicines for Children and Infants
Ever since the science of homoeopathy was introduced 200 years ago by a German doctor, it has won praise especially for the treatment of little new-born, neo-nate, infants and children; of course for variety of reasons. Today, there are many paediatricians preferring homoeopathic treatment for their children and patients in various paediatric conditions. Essentially, any medicine administered to children must be free from harmful effects. Homoeopathic medicines are prepared mainly from herbs, vegetable kingdom, minerals and are given in very minute doses so that they are 100% non-toxic, having no adverse effects whatsoever.
Unlike antibiotics and other such medicine, homoeopathic pills do not hamper digestion; does not lower resistance power; does not produce allergy and does not harm even if taken for long-term. Homoeopathy pills being sweet in taste, is accepted with pleasure by children. Homoeopathic therapy is superior to traditional treatment of administering medicine through injections.
No injectables are required while you are on homeopathy. Even a comatose child may be administered homeopathic medicines without injections, that is the beauty of this science.
To name some prominent disorder in children, where homeopathy works very well are infant colic, fever, teething problem, vomiting, dysentery, nephrotic syndrome, kidney disease, growth related problems and convulsions (epilepsy), infantile eczema, jaundice, brain infections (meningitis), fungal infections, warts, hair-Loss (alopecia), growing pains, poor concentration, arthritis in children, psoriasis, leucoderma (white spots), pimples and thyroid problems. Various psychosomatic disorders such as bed-wetting, headaches, and gastritis also respond to homeopathy.
Whether children actually know or sense that homeopathic medicines are good for them for not, they deserve safe medicines. It is time that parents and physicians seek safe, natural and effective alternatives to conventional, potentially harmful drugs. Homeopathic medicine is one such alternative. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath and ask a free question.
After viral infection my son who is 8 years old got rash all over body after 4th day. He is shedding his skin including palm. Which cream is better?
My 2 month old child passes lot of gas in a day. He doesn't seem to be uncomfortable with this. Someday as he pass gas 1 drop of stool also comes with it. He is 5 kg now. He takes breastfeed only. My doctor told to give him xymex drops for 2 3 months. 5 drops thrice a day. He is very active he plays and sleeps well. Only this time he passed stool after 3 days.
Can you provide a chart quantitywise and calorie wise for infant of two years for getting the good height?
My baby new born 7 month old hai use kaun se food dena chahiye mein avi use cerelac de raha hu aur sath me brestfeeding .mein lacotogen ya nanparo or amul spray dene ka soch rha hu kya dena sahi rahega uska growth achha ho n bacha health n mind devliping ke liye acha ho so please suggest me food .which is d better n uska skin healthy n fair v ho kuchh tips dijye. Any doctor sugges me.
My child not well before three day she is suffering from fever this fever night only come fever and showring please tell the way.
ADHD or Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder refers to those psychological disorders, which significantly alter a child's behavior and considerably affects his or her relationships with others. This condition is seldom preceded by perceptible symptoms and even when they do, they are difficult to decipher. However some of them are:
- Self-centered: Those children who suffer from the attention deficit hyperactivity syndrome tend to be encapsulated in their own subjectivity. Though this does seem harmless apparently, this tendency may lead them to be insensitive to other's needs and wants.
- Emotional outbursts: ADHD makes children extremely susceptible to frequent emotional outbursts and makes them erratic.
- Difficulty in concentration: Children who suffer from ADHD face extreme difficulty in concentrating or focusing on things. Many a times they fail to repeat what was told to them.
There might be several causes which can contribute to the development of this disorder. Some of them are:
- A drastic change in the child's lives: A sudden or a drastic change like the divorce of parents may severely affect the child and maim him emotionally. This may lead to the development of this disorder.
- Depression: Though always associated with adults, depression can be and is common among children as well. In such instances, a consequent development of ADHD is highly plausible.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder refers to excessive and incomprehensible mood swings. Many children suffer from it in their early lives, making them susceptible to ADHD.
Notwithstanding the ambiguity and the erratic nature of the disorder, there might be preventive measures which parents might adopt to deter the outbreak of the disorder. Some of them are:
- Less use of preservatives: Parents must be careful about what their children eat. Those foods which contain a certain amount of preservatives tend to aggravate the disorder thereby causing more harm than good.
- Consider alternative forms of medications: Another way of dealing with this problem is by exploring other forms of medications and not sticking to one form. In this respect, practicing yoga may be very beneficial.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!