Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Pediatricians online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Sankara NarayananYour feedback matters!
I stopped him giving calcium syrup when he was 1 year. He sweats more when he play. So can I start to give him the calcium syrup.
My daughter is 4 yrs old and has weight 13 kg consistently for past 1. 5 yrs. Also she is frequently ill by day to day cold, fever and vomiting. We have been taking every care regarding hygeine. Also she suffered from chicken pox 20 days back followed by post viral fever. Her cough also is frequent. In past 4 months she has been infected by sometimes bacterial infection, diarrhea, viral fever resulted of lymph nodes at sides of neck, still in small amt visible. Please advice some kind of medicine/immune system strengthening tonic for her
My 3 years old daughter does want to eat non -veg food. Always she wants to eat some spicy food. She wants chicken in her every launch or dinner. She doesn't like Dal, sabji etc. It is not good for her health, isn't in Dr? Can I give LIVSAVE KIDS to protect her liver? Please give me suggestion.
Hello, My 3 year 6 month daughter very often follow in sick, cough, cold, and runny nose, she will not be to sleep at nit, and once its come it will take 10-15 to recovery, if she recovery again she get it in week. We have consultant Pediatrician, they say its because of immune system also for duct, food, and other allergic problems. I am worried about her health. We don't give her any kind of out side product still I am not able to keep are out of this. Please do tell me good food which we can improve her immune and be healthy.
Is par curable? my son (5year old) has mild asthma but allergic rhinites all the year. Doctors of allopathy said if it is not cured asthma will not go. They have given mometasone nasal spray and montec lc for one month. The problem is that after the course of montec lc is completed ar comes back despite the constant use of mometasone. What should I do? I have tried Ayurveda medicine (prescription medicine) without effect.
In pediatrics, we often say “children are not little adults” but in the case of the common cold, they really are. They have the same symptoms, runny nose, red-rimmed eyes, cough and they just FEEL YUCKY! With those symptoms most babies are fussier than usual and don’t sleep well at night, which is just like an adult with a cold (or maybe just me). for an infant, they are usually up and down all night, don’t feed as well, and just want to be held a little more.
When an infant gets a cold it is not uncommon for them to run a fever along with the cold symptoms. This usually only lasts a day or two and then resolves, but the other common cold symptoms may last from seven to 10 days.
With a cold they may not want to nurse or drink their bottle as well as they have a hard time breathing and sucking. This leads to a cranky baby, who may take less with each feeding, but will need to eat more often.
It is important to make sure that they stay hydrated. fluids are the most important thing. If your baby is having difficulty taking the bottle or latching on due to the congestion , you could feed with a katori spoon or a paladey with gaps in between . small frequent feeds will do the job.
Place the tip of the bulb syringe inside the baby’s nostril to remove mucous and help them breath and eat. You may also use a little salt water nose drops to squirt up their nose to help the mucous come out.
It also helps to get a mist humidifier to place in the room at night to help put some moisture in the air while the heat is running and the air is dry. The mist will also help alleviate some of the thicker mucous and also help the cough that accompanies the cold.
The most important thing to watch for is any sign of respiratory distress. A child’s breathing may “sound noisy” but it is important once again to look at their chest to make sure that they are not using those muscles between the ribs and “pulling” when they are breathing.
Coughs are also protective in that they help move mucous and keep the airway clear to prevent pneumonia. Lastly, your child should look a little better after the first several days of their cold. They should not develop fever later in the cold, and if they do it would be worth a pediatrician visit to check their ears. Not every baby with a cold gets an ear infection and they usually develop after they have had several days of cold symptoms, and not on the first day of a cold.
That’s your daily dose, stay tuned to my next update on your baby's health tips .Send in your questions or comments to babiesandmom.com !
Stay happy and stay healthy !
Dr Gorika's Children's Medical center
Our motto at GCMC is to "Treat every child as if you are treating your own child" This is one such destination where we assure perfect health for your little one. "We care for your newly born till they're eighteen"
(my baby do not drink milk) sir my twin boys at the age 3 years 4 month. Little one do not drink bottle milk since two years and now he also stopped mother milk since 4 month. Day by day he is getting weaker and also low memory as compare to second one. He is only depend on normal food which is not sufficient for growing body. How I start feeding him milk even he do not take any milk product. If I force him, he starts vomiting.
My son is 4 year old and many time he is suffering blood from nose. Last night my son suffering blood from nose around 4 a. M around 15 drops of blood so after some time stop blood after he lay down straight. But in morning around 8 a. M again blood come from nose. Please explain what is the reason and solution for it.
Necrotizing enterocolitis is a disease that causes inflammation of the tissues present in the intestines and results in damaged tissues. It initially affects the inner lining which ultimately results in thickening of the intestine. It may also lead to a hole in the abdomen resulting in bacteria entering the intestine, thus resulting in infection.
The symptoms of Necrotizing enterocolitis are:
- You may experience symptoms of bloating in the abdomen
- The abdomen may be discolored
- You may experience diarrhea and vomiting
- You may not feel hungry
- There may be presence of blood in your stool
- You may have a fever and constantly feel lethargic
Causes: Lack of blood and oxygen in the intestine causes it to become weak and increases the chances of Necrotizing enterocolitis. It may result if oxygen levels drop during a difficult delivery. If the intestines are weak, then they are at a higher risk of getting infected by bacteria. If you have an excessive supply of blood cells in your body or other stomach condition, then it may lead to this disease.
Diagnosis: Usually the doctor conducts a physical exam to detect the symptoms of this disease. If babies are born with this condition, then they may suffer from weak immune system and problems in blood circulation. The doctor may also recommend x-rays to get detailed images of the intestine in order to probe for symptoms of inflammation and damage.
The treatment of the disease depends on few factors such as:
- The child's age
- How far has the disease progressed?
- Health of your child
It is recommended to stop breastfeeding. Feed the baby through intravenous methods. The doctor may also recommend antibiotics and oxygen support if the child has breathing problems. In severe cases, the child may require surgery to treat this disease.
If the treatment occurs early, then the child may recover. However, complications such as a narrow and damaged bowel may persist. This may cause problems in nutrient absorption in the intestine leading to other disorders.
My son is 2.5yr old and his growth is delayed as he was 1month 10 days premature. The worrisome thing is he is not interested in type of food. So his diet is very limited. Kindly suggest what should we do to improve his dieat.
Now my baby 2 and half month. My baby is not sleeping well. He is sleeping 6 pm to 3 am only (in between breast feed also) in day time he is not sleeping well. Alternatively half an hour sleep in day time. Pls tell me solution for my baby. And he get cold also. How to cure dis 2 problems.
Recently my wife had a 5th month sonography, I did a bit research to capture the sonography video as it would be a good to have memory of our baby. On searching the internet I found out that there are a few places where centers give you videos and photos of the scan process. However, I tried searching for a few centers in Navi Mumbai and me of the center said that it is illegal to do so in a few cities. Just wanted to clarify on the same, if it's illegal as the objective is not gender determination hence the video can be restricted to capture only relevant body parts?
I'm giving birth to my baby yesterday and now my baby on breast feeding what diet is necessary for me. Can I take non veg diet?
My cousin (child) just only 22 days, it cry many times, I thought that it has a gas problem,, I hope you will understand better, what can I do??
Sir I have a child about three years I want give him good growth and good health From now itself. So how can I get the good solution from you.
Many women develop uterine fibroids by the time they hit the age of 50 years and above. These are non-cancerous growths that may occur in the uterus. Most women go through severe bleeding and pain as well as discomfort as a result of these fibroids. Age, family history of the same condition, obesity or being overweight, eating habits and even ethnicity play a large role in deciding the risk of each individual patient. These fibroids can grow in the submucosal, intramural and subserosal areas.
Following are the common side effects of uterine fibroids:
- Frequent urination: Due to the pressure of the fibroids on the uterus, the patient may experience a constant feeling of fullness in the lower pelvic area of the body, which may lead to frequent filling of the bladder. This gives rise to frequent trips to the washroom for urination.
- Heavy Bleeding: Severe bleeding is one of the most common causes of the presence of these kinds of fibroids. The patient may experience a lot of bleeding during menstrual periods, as well as pain and cramps the rest of the time. The periods will also be very painful when there are fibroids in the uterus or the uterine lining.
- Painful Intercourse: It is a well-known fact that any kind of infection or growth as well as sores and other such ailments can lead to vaginal dryness as well as pain during sexual intercourse. This is true for uterine fibroids as well, which can lead to severe pain during sexual activity. These fibroids can also give rise to pain in the lumbar or lower back region.
- Abdomen Swelling: The abdomen may go through significant swelling in such a condition and the patient may even look like she is pregnant. The growth can push the shape of the abdomen outwards and create a full feeling.
- Pregnancy Complications: The presence of uterine fibroids can give rise to several complications during pregnancy and even after child birth. One of the most common problems in this case is bleeding, followed by more severe outcomes like miscarriage. The women suffering from uterine fibroids are at greater risk of undergoing a caesarean section for the delivery of the baby. The baby may also be born breech and a premature delivery may take place.
- Infertility: This is also a rare side effect of the uterine fibroids and is generally seen only in very severe cases.
- Cancer: Only one in every 1000 cases might transform into malignant tumours. These uterine fibroids are generally known to be non-malignant.
Any symptoms must be reported to a gynaecologist at the earliest to avoid any serious complications.
My kid is passing dark black color stool since he's born. He is on Lactogen 1 diet as no mother feed is available. I am worried whether it is a sign of some kind of allergy in stomach. Please help suggesting.
Seasonal changes can be very exciting for most people. Each season brings with it a new set of colours and nature takes a new turn. However, for people with seasonal allergies, a seasonal change also comes with a set of allergies. From skin rashes to wheezing to breathing difficulties, the list of symptoms can be quite long. Asthma is the most common problem, and the attacks can be quite bothersome with wheezing attacks and breathing troubles.
With advancements in the field of medicine, there is a lot of relief for asthma patients. A little understanding on how asthma attacks happen will help in understanding how to control it. Asthma is an allergic reaction caused by narrowing of the airway with thick mucus, which makes breathing difficult. During an attack, the person can have a dry cough, face shortness of breath and wheezing.
Asthma is often triggered or worsened by some factors, and being aware of these can help prevent or manage an attack:
- Common allergens like pollen, mites, ticks, furs of animals, bird feathers, specific foods (peanuts, milk products, eggs, etc.) and mold spores appear during change of season.
- Environmental chemicals like cigarette smoke, car fumes, dust, etc., can also trigger an attack.
- Attacks of cold or flu can lead to an asthma attack.
- Workout during cold weather can be problematic, but exercise can also help control asthma attacks. Lung function improves sufficiently, but an exercise regime should be drawn up for the patient based on his condition.
- Stressful emotions like anger and anxiety can also lead to an attack or make it worse.
- Some medications like aspirin, beta blockers, glaucoma drops can aggravate attacks of asthma.
Once you know the triggers, here are some common measures that can help prevent and relieve the wheezing.
- The preventers reduce the inflammation in the airway tube and the swelling. While they do not provide immediate relief during an attack, using these in the long term helps avoid attacks. These are low-dose inhaled corticosteroids such as beclomethasone, fluticasone, and budesonide. Doctors would advise their usage even when there are no symptoms, as asthma attacks can be triggered when they are not taking these medications for a while. Newer drugs include leukotriene antagonists like montelukast and zafirlukast. Relievers are used for symptom relief and include Salbutamol (short acting) and Salmeterol/Formoterol (long acting). Peak flow meter may be useful in acute attacks, wherein the peak flow rates can be reduced.
A good strategy is to use preventers regularly and rely on relievers during an attack. The first one helps build resistance and so reduces the incidence of attacks. Reach out to a doctor if a severe attack ensues (lasts more than 3 hours).