Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S. Venkataramanan
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. S. VenkataramananYour feedback matters!
I am a 46 years old with obesity and joint pains and high glucose levels. Can you suggest some homeopathic medicine to combat obesity, diabetes and constipation please.
I am very frequent getting knee swelling in both the knees. It become very difficult to walk because I can't bend my knees due to huge swelling. After 4 to 5 days swelling disappear. Again it can come I have no idea how. What should I do. I am diagnose with sPA arthritis. Is it because of that or something else.
I am suffering from sciatica .I have pain in hip joint to whole leg. Please suggest me medicine for this?
Good morning sir. My name is chandra sekhar. My backbone is very painful. I used some natural medicines. But my is not cure. What should I do.
I have a surgical problem from which I can't sleep with pillow. In fact my neck feels pain all the time please tell me how to overcome it.
Hi Sir, I have taken medicine for elbow pain from last 2 month. Last 4 days I am started doing exercise in gym at light weight But from last two days I feel sensation in my left hand below elbow to palm and fingers is there any problem seriously or I have to stop exercise or not I am also applying ice 2 times a day To support my elbow I used to wear supporter whole day till sleep.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition that causes numbness or tingling in the hands and arms besides other symptoms. Carpal tunnel is basically a narrow passage on the palm side of the wrist. This condition is caused when a nerve in the carpel tunnel is compressed. Since this median nerve runs up through the hands to the forearm, it affects the arms as well. Not only does it cause nerve pain, but also results in limited functionality of the thumb.
To prevent this syndrome, one needs to understand its causes. We have discussed some of the primary causes below:
- Issues with the thyroid hormone: Hypothyroidism, an imbalance or lack of thyroid hormones in the body, can create problems that lead to issues with the overall musculoskeletal system. An over-active pituitary gland can also cause issues that affect mobility and motor skills. This can lead to or exacerbate the carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Arthritis: Arthritis causes swelling and inflammation of joints and tendons, which tend to increase the symptoms of carpal tunnel. Eventually, arthritis can also lead to compression of the median nerve and other structures in the wrist, thereby leading to carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Pregnancy or menopause: During pregnancy as well as menopause, women experience tingling or numbness in their hands, which is believed to be caused by carpal tunnel. Experts say that when a fluid called oedema builds up in the tissues around the wrists and other parts of the body, it puts a pressure on the median nerve, leading to pain.
- Work pressure: Experts believe that behaviours can increase the risk of carpal tunnel. The other instances which cause this syndrome include physical labour, using mechanical tools and repeated stress to the wrist. However, various studies suggest that there isn’t any direct association between using a computer and carpal tunnel syndrome. It may just cause different forms of hand pain.
- Imbalance of body fluids: Fluid retention in the body increases the pressure within the carpal tunnel, which irritates the median nerve. This is common during pregnancy and menopause as discussed earlier.
- Obesity: One of the significant risk factors for this syndrome is being obese. So be careful about gaining excess weight.
- Other conditions: Certain conditions like hormonal imbalance, diabetes and kidney failure may increase the chances of carpal tunnel syndrome. It also occurs in people who usually have narrow carpel tunnels. In some cases, it is inherited and is passed from one generation to the next.
- Inflammatory conditions: Illnesses that end up in inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis, can affect the lining around the tendons in the wrist and put pressure on the median nerve.
- Fractures: A fracture in the wrist can cause narrowing of the carpal tunnel and irritate the nerve.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!