Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Renuka DavidYour feedback matters!
This is about my friend who had unprotected sex with her bf on the night of 24th march, next morning she took i-pill. After seven days i.e this saturday she got periods but they lasted only for 2 days, otherwise her periods last for 5 days. She said it was a heavy flow on first day and then on 2nd day, there was nothing, her actual periods date is supposed to be on 17th this month. She searched about it over web and now extremely worried becoz she is getting symptoms like breast pain, fatigue,mood swings, taste change etc, which according to internet sites, are symptoms of pregnancy. Plzz clear our doubt, are there any chances of pregnancy or she is safe. Would be a great help because she is badly worried.
What is menopause?
Menopause is that phase in the life of a woman when she can no longer reproduce. It involves the loss of fertility and the cessation of the menstrual cycle. The woman will stop bleeding every month and the ovaries stop producing eggs that can be fertilized. Menopause normally sets on after the age of 40 and bleeding may permanently stop by the age of 50.
Post menopausal bleeding
You are known to reach menopause when you have not been bleeding for 1 entire year. Even a small amount of spotting should not have taken place. Post-menopausal bleeding is when bleeding occurs after a year of attaining menopause. It can be a serious health disorder and requires medical attention without any further delay.
Reasons behind post menopausal bleeding
- Polyps that are mostly non-cancerous, unwanted growths on the cervical canal, uterus or ovaries are known to cause post-menopausal bleeding.
- Thinning of the endometrium that lines the uterus can cause unexpected bleeding. It can be due to the rapidly receding levels of estrogen in the blood. It is also known as endometrial atrophy.
- Endometrial hyperplasia is a condition that leads to the thickening of the inner lining of uterus (endometrium). It also leads to the growth of abnormal and malignant cells.
- Endometrial cancer
- Other health conditions such as reaction to hormone therapy, infections of the blood or reproductive organs, certain medications and blood-thinning drugs
- Cancer of the ovaries, uterus or cervix
How it can be treated?
- For diagnosis, you can undergo blood tests, ultrasounds, sonography and biopsy.
- Hysterectomy is done to remove the uterus and cervix can be conducted for a complete cure. It also removes the ovaries, fallopian tubes and other lymph nodes.
- Chemotherapy and other radiation therapies may be done for those who are in an advanced stage of endometrial cancer.
- Medications such hormone regulators must be taken to prevent complications. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.