Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. RavishankarYour feedback matters!
My son 3 years old not able to speak clearly. Moreover, he is very active but nt speak clearly. please advice and help me in this regard,
My baby was 5 months old. During Night whn we to sleep she unable to breath air frm noise. Instead of noise she breathing of mouth that why unable to eat meal also. Pliz advice or some precaution.
My baby daughter is 4 months old. She is underweight. What all can I give her to feed other than mothers milk? Like orange juice grapes juice? Please help.
Hello Doctor, My son is about to 3 years but he is not talkative he just says mummy and Papa and some a few words. He understands everything and very clearly explains his points. I am worried why he is not speaking he is going to playway from March 2016.
Hi, I am married since 8 years and last year I deliver a baby in 7th month but he is no more .that also ivf baby and now I want to go for IVF now shall you suggest best and good success rate ivf centres in Delhi.
Hello doctor, meri baby 15 months ki ho gai h and uske abhi tak teeth nahi aaye use vit. D3 ke shacets bhi diye bt unse bhi koi effect nahi aaya. So please suggest something.
My baby is 6 month old and her weight is just 5.4 kg. The weight when she born was 2.8 Kg. Is she heading toward low weight?
Hello, my baby is just of 28 days, & I didn't receive a enough milk supply as I have tried all medicines and shatavari kalpa for lactation but no use, so she is on formula feed, I want to know that shall I give her cow's milk. How often should I sterile her feeding bottle & what time before the second use, as I am doing just after the first use n keep it on room temperature & reuse it after 3-4 hr. Pls suggest.
My wife suffering from cough , more cough come out from body, this has done after cold energy so poor she is tired ,provide glucon D powder in water. Please suggest which medicine support.
Upper respiratory infection (URI) is a condition, which involves illness, mainly caused by critical infection in the upper respiratory tract. This region includes the pharynx, larynx, nose and sinus. This infection causes diseases, such as tonsillitis (tonsils get inflamed), pharyngitis (causes sore throat) sinusitis (nasal passage becomes inflamed), laryngitis (voice box in your throat gets inflamed) and common cold.
Causes of upper respiratory infection (URI):
- Both virus and bacteria cause upper respiratory infection (URI). The most common form of virus causing this infection is known as 'rhinovirus.'
- The immune system of young adults and children are often very vulnerable. Hence, they are more likely to develop upper respiratory tract infection.
- URI is also contagious and airborne in nature. So if a person comes in contact with an infected person suffering from URI, he/she is likely to develop this infection.
- Not washing hands before meals can also cause upper respiratory infection because the virus can be transferred easily to the mouth and can travel into your system.
- If you have any lung problem or heart disease, you are more likely to be susceptible to upper respiratory infection.
- Those who already have inflamed tonsils can trigger tonsillitis by drinking any cold or spicy beverage like ice-creams or cold milkshakes.
- Exposure to some flu or cold can cause pharyngitis. It can also be caused by second hand smoking.
- Birth defects or structural defects in the nasal cavity or nasal polyps can cause sinusitis. Sometimes the inside part of the nose may get swollen due to common cold and block your ducts. This is a common cause for sinusitis.
Symptoms of acute upper respiratory infection:
- Congestion in the lungs or nasal area.
- Whooping cough
- Running nose due to common cold.
- Feelings of fatigue and lethargy throughout the day.
- Your body will start aching without engaging in any physical exercise.
- You can also lose consciousness in severe respiratory tract infections.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Oxygen levels in blood drop down drastically.
Sometimes in worse cases, acute upper respiratory tract infection (URI) can also cause respiratory failure, respiratory arrest and congestive heart failure. Therefore, it is necessary to book an appointment with a doctor as soon as you start experiencing the above symptoms. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.