Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gastroenterologists in India. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Ramesh Kumar Mohan RaoYour feedback matters!
I am a male of 27 years. I have the lumber herniated disk in L5 section of my backbone since 2 years. Still I have ache in my buttocks and the lower abdomen. I am under medication. Should I go for an operation?
I am having diet problem. WHen I eat much I use to become sick. SO what should I do to make my digestion proper? Can I get some advice or suggestion on it?
Hi, I M 26 year old. I am suffering from diarrhea since last 2 day. I M drinking lots of water in a day. I M feeling weakness, loose body, and low fewer. I have already taken paracetamol and glucose. What should I do?
I'm 31 years unmarried female. I used have my periods after every 23 days now from last 2 months I have periods after every 26 days. Is it normal or something worrisome. please help me. I'm really worried. I also want to mention that from last 2 months I'm treating my anal fissure. I have changed my diet. I jus have more fiber diet and have white meat otherwise I used to have red meat. please let me kno what's wrong with me.
Hello sir, I feel pain upper abdomen, previously I did ultrasound for my abdomen buy doctor said I have little fatty liver so doctor recommend me udiliv 300mg for 15 days It's been more then 3 months now still I feel bloated and feel uncomfortable while sitting as I feel numbness in my right upper abdomen Kindly suggest what is the exact reason?
I have problem of digestion and it causes headache and gas problem so to recover from this what should I do?
I am 26 years old male having digestion problem stool is not solid and skin problem at the back having pimples.
I'm facing gas trouble. Gas is released from mouth for too many times. It is from 3 months and not used any medicines. Pls help me.
I am 24 years, projection from anus for last 6 years, blood in stool, acidity,difficulty in going to toilet, is this cancer.
Diarrhea occurs when the body is expelling germs out of it. An episode of diarrhea can last anywhere from a couple of days to a week. Dehydration, cramps, vomiting, nausea and fever often accompany diarrhea. Usually, children tend to get diarrhoea more than adults.
Diarrhea treatment according to causes behind it
- Treating diarrhea due to infection: Some common causes of diarrhea include infection from rotavirus, salmonella (a type of bacteria) and rarely giardia (a type of parasite). In children, virus is a common cause of diarrhea. Besides watery or loose stools, viral gastroenteritis infection symptoms include fever, headache, stomach ache and vomiting. Gastroenteritis diarrhoea can last for 5-14 days. During this time, fluid loss must be prevented. In younger children, oral rehydration solution (ORS) or breast milk is enough. Just feeding them water won’t replenish the potassium, sodium and other nutrients they lose. Older children, to prevent fluid loss, can be given ORS and popsicles to counter dehydration and vomiting.
- Treating diarrhea due to medications: Antibiotics or laxatives can cause diarrhea in children. If the diarrhea is mild, make sure your child is hydrated. If the antibiotics are causing diarrhoea, you need to continue medication, but do consult a doctor immediately.
- Treating diarrhea due to food poisoning: When it comes to food poisoning induced diarrhea, the same method as countering infection-induced diarrhea should be followed. Keep your child hydrated and call your doctor.
Diarrhea and children - recognising dehydration
The most serious complication of diarrhea is dehydration, especially if the diarrhea is severe. Severe dehydration is critical as it can cause brain damage, seizure, even death. Your child may need immediate medical attention, if you notice the following symptoms:
- Light-headedness and dizziness
- Sticky, dark mouth
- Dark yellow urine
- No or few tears when crying
- Dry, cool skin
- Loss of energy
When should you visit a doctor
Diarrhea resolves within a few days, but it can have serious complications. Call your doctor if you notice signs such as:
1. Looks very sick
2. Diarrhea has persisted for more than 3 days
3. Your child is less than 6 months old
4. Your child is vomiting bloody yellow or green fluid
5. Seems dehydrated
6. The fever reads above 105 degree Fahrenheit
7. Bloody stools
9. Stomach pain persists for more than 2 hours
10. Infrequent urination