Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. Pani BabuYour feedback matters!
When the salivary glands do not produce enough saliva, the mouth gets dry and uncomfortable. Due to certain conditions, such a phenomenon can occur and this condition is known as dry mouth or xerostomia. Xerostomia or dry mouth can occur due to multiple reasons. Read on more to find all about the different causes and symptoms of dry mouth.
- Side effects of certain medications: Dry mouth occurs due to the effect of certain prescription and nonprescription medications. Drugs used to treat depression, pain, allergies, anxiety, epilepsy, obesity, nausea and psychotic disorders can cause dry mouth condition as a side effect. Sedatives and muscle relaxers can also cause dry mouth.
- Side effects of certain disease and infections: Certain diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, mumps, diabetes, hypertension, cystic fibrosis, anemia and Parkinson's disease can also cause dry mouth or xerostomia.
- Side effect of treatments: If the salivary glands are damaged due to certain reasons, then less saliva is secreted resulting in dry mouth. Certain treatments such as radiation treatments in the head and neck or chemotherapy sessions could indirectly cause dry mouth by damaging the salivary glands.
- Nerve damage: Dry mouth can also be due to a person suffering from nerve damage caused due to accident or surgery.
- Dehydration: Conditions like fever, excessive vomiting, diarrhea, excessive sweating, which cause dehydration can also cause dry mouth.
- Removal of salivary glands: Surgical removal of the salivary glands also causes dry mouth.
- Lifestyle choices: Certain lifestyle preferences such as chewing tobacco or smoking can cause dry mouth.
Dry mouth has several symptoms. If you have some or all of the symptoms mentioned below, then you are more than likely suffering from dry mouth.
- A sticky and dry feeling in the mouth.
- The frequent feeling of being thirsty.
- A dry, parched feeling in the throat.
- The tongue being dry, raw and red.
- There is discomfort and problem while you are speaking or experiencing problems with chewing, tasting or swallowing food.
- Experiencing dry nasal passages, a sore throat or hoarseness in the voice.
- A tingling or slightly burning sensation in the mouth but particularly in the tongue.
- Having a bad breath.
Related Tip: "Why Oral Health in Older Adults Is Important"
I M having problem in my tongue there are little little in hindi you say chole at my tongue why is this and what to do.
Hi I am 24 years old & I want to straight my teeth. So, how much it will take and is it possible or not?
My gums leave roots of teeth here is fungus tell me what I do, when I do brush pain in my gums bt I have no pairia.
I have rashes on my gums and I have gone for opg twice on doctors advice there was nothing in opg everything is OK but I have rashes on my gums which gives inflammation and many times when rashes increase I have pain in my ears for which I went to ent doctor everything was OK dentist told that its neuralgia I was having pain in left side face its OK now rashes in gums are feel by touching with tongue I have two small holes in roof of mouth what is this and how it can be cured is this any big problem like mouth cancer.
Teeth sensitivity due to exposed dentin or fractured enamel is common during winters. Don't neglect these symptoms. Very often these are early signs of severe dental problems.