Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Mohamed Matheen
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Mohamed MatheenYour feedback matters!
I am having basic myopia and having problem selecting the right number for the glasses. Help selecting any good treatment please?
I have red eyes cause of press with my finger. Its just spread blood around the ball. Wts the reason for this and hw it will be cure?
My father, aged 68, some 6 months back was diagnosed for Spine TB and he started on AKT4 for 2 months, AKT3 for the next month but had to stop due to vision loss and following 3 months was taking Rifampicin and Isoniazid. His vision is almost back with some eye power complaint but since last month he is complaining about arm pain near the shoulder joint. There is a slight muscular swelling possibly which we feel there. I read that Isoniazid can cause these side effects. What could be the reason and if it needs any urgent attention to treatment? FYI. He is taking 40 mg of pyridoxine, his blood work shows mild thrombocytopenia, haemoglobin = 11.4, platelet count=106, ESR has come down to 60, CRP has come down from 67 to 8.4. His back is almost gone.
Respected sir, I am Adnan my eyes is very red before three day. What I m do, and also very pain in my eyes, water running is also in my eyes.
Doctor suggested my father for endoscopic DCR surgery for his eye. I am curious to know whether any exercise are their to avoid surgery as I heard that specific exercise in this regard can work. Please guide me about decision. Note that age mentioned below is the age of my father which is 63 now.
I am 70 years old male. I have pulling sensation under my right eye and the right eye tends to close especially while reading and working on the computer. This sensation has already started on the left eye.
People may have weak eyes due to a variety of reasons. Astigmatism happens to be one of those reasons. When one is affected by astigmatism, it results in blurry vision. The eye has a part called the cornea, which is the outermost layer of the eye and is responsible for allowing light to enter. When the cornea is not shaped as it should be, it leads to astigmatism.
However, this is not the only condition under which it can occur. In fact, there are two different types of astigmatism. One is corneal astigmatism which is the result of an odd-shaped cornea. The other is lenticular astigmatism, which occurs when the lens has an incorrect shape. More often than not, people are born with astigmatism. However, there are chances of developing this eye disorder after an eye injury or after an eye disease.
How to diagnose?
There are a few ways in which astigmatism can be diagnosed.
- One of the most popular methods is the visual acuity test. This measures the distance at which a letter is read clearly, as compared to what it should be.
- Another way is by refraction. By placing lenses in front of the eyes, the way they focus light is measured.
- The third way by which astigmatism can be detected is by keratometry, also known as topography. Light is focused on the cornea and the reflection is measured to find the curvature of that area.
The easiest way to go about treating astigmatism is by using corrective lenses. This is usually the method of treatment for people whose astigmatism is not that bad. The lenses could either be a part of spectacles or used as contact lenses. The good part about contact lenses is that the field of view is wider.
Orthokeratology (Ortho-k) works to improve astigmatism by using lenses as well. However, the lenses are of the hard variety. These lenses are useful for corneal astigmatism patients as they reshape the eye. Usually, they are worn while sleeping and most people can have normal vision the next day. However, if one stops using them, the eye goes back to its original state. So, they are not a permanent solution.
Surgery, however, can be a permanent solution to astigmatism. LASIK and PRK are two of the most popular types. RK is also popular, but to a lesser extent. It is good to remember that the risks of surgery should be discussed with a doctor prior to undergoing one. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Even something as small as an eyeball, has multiple parts within it. The retina at the back of the eyeball is responsible for the clarity of vision. The central area of the retina is known as the macula. Macular degeneration is the deterioration of this part of the retina. Macular degeneration is age related and is considered as an incurable condition. People suffering from macular degeneration experience blurred vision, black spots and may eventually lose central vision while retaining peripheral vision.
There are two types of macular degeneration; wet and dry. The dry form of this disease is more common than its wet form. Of these, the latter causes more serious vision loss. Dry macular degeneration leads to white or yellow deposits on the retina leading to further degeneration. In the wet form of this disease, blood vessels beneath the retina start growing towards the macula and may pull it away from the base when they break or leak fluid.
There are three stages of age related macular degeneration (AMD):
- Early AMD: This is diagnosed by the presence of deposits on the retina. In most cases, ether is no vision loss at this stage but regular check-ups are essential.
- Intermediate AMD: A comprehensive eye exam will show the presence of larger deposits or pigment changes in the retina. At this stage, slight vision loss may be experienced.
- Late AMD: People suffering from late AMD have noticeable vision loss. Though this disease is linked to aging, the exact triggers for macular degeneration are unknown. It is understood to be a combination of hereditary and environmental factors. The presence of certain genes and their variants has been associated with a number of cases of this disease. Studies also show that caucasians are at the highest risk of suffering from this disease. Depriving cells in the retina of oxygen can also increase a person's risk of contracting this disease. Other risk factors for this disease are obesity, smoking, high blood pressure and a light eye colour. The side effects of certain drugs can also induce this condition.
Macular degeneration is considered to be incurable, but certain forms of treatment can improve vision and slow down the rate of deterioration. Treatment prescribed by a doctor depends on stage of the disease and whether it is wet or dry. Studies suggest that a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids can prevent AMD and lower the risk of its progression.