Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. KeerthanaYour feedback matters!
You are in the middle of a hot summer afternoon and decide to have some ice to cool off. Suddenly you hear a crackle and something comes into your mouth that doesn't quite taste like ice. oops! That's a part of your broken teeth! Although your first instinct is to panic, don't worry as there are a lot of things dentists can do these days to fix chipped teeth.
A tooth may chip off for some other reasons too. Decay being one of the main culprits, it erodes the top enamel leaving the tooth exposed to decay. Taking an unsightly fall or getting your teeth broken in a fight are some of the other reasons why your teeth may break o partially chip off. Here are some things you can do:
- Take care of you chipped tooth: The first thing to do when you realize that you have a chipped tooth is to see a dentist. If you are unfortunately suffering from this problem on a weekend when a dentist near you isn't accessible, keep the jagged edge of the broken tooth covered with a sugarless chewing gum or paraffin. If you get hungry, opt for a liquid diet or soft solids that don't require chewing.
- Treatment: Filling or bonding that is if you've chipped a visible tooth in your frontline, your dentist will use a tooth coloured composite resin for a 'bonding' procedure. If it is one of your inside teeth, your dentist may try a simple 'filling' to fix things up. Bonding is pretty much 'gluing' bits of your artificial teeth on. The dentist clears up the surface to place the adhesive and sticks the bonding material and then hardens it into shape with ultraviolet light.
- Adding a crown or dental cap: This procedure is used when a larger piece of tooth chips off, it happens mainly due to decay. The dentist will chip off the edges from your broken teeth and cover it with a crown or cap to protect the tooth from further damage. The cap also acts as a cosmetic fixture not making anyone realize that it is different from your real teeth.
Patients are generally given a choice on the material for the cap, which they can choose based on cost and cosmetics. A metal cap is the strongest, but can make you look like a villain from yesteryears, which has an evil glint in every smile. The other common options are porcelain fused to metal, all ceramic or all resin. This procedure will require more than one visit for x-rays, taking an impression of the tooth, trial for your crown and finally fixing it.
I have teeth problem. When I brushed blood comes. This is very old problem. My gums now leaving the teeth.
1- improper oral hygien
3- food substance like garlic, onion
4-clean your tongue properly.
I have a clicking sound problem in my right side jaw, can you please tell me that is it a major problem? I am waiting for your answer. Thanks.
My teeth is shaking. There is pain in it. I consulted dentist. She suggested 5 days augpen lb 650, tan x and painkiller. After 5 days there is no relief from pain. Xray is also done. In xray, one bone is weak. Please suggest what to do?
My father who is 84 years of old is facing acute infection in mouth since last 4 years. All tests including biopsy were done but it is not coming to normal. He is not able to eat any vegetables even without any spice he feels irritated and his mouth including upper surfaces looks red and over sensitive. Some mouth gels applied but no difference in this. Please help as all doctors of ENT and Dentists were consulted in Bhubaneswar and cuttack region. Please do help me. So mahapatra.
People loose lose their teeth for various reasons ranging from gum diseases, bone loss conditions,dental cavities, injuries and age. A missing tooth, particularly at the front of your mouth, can lead to changes in your smile and loss of confidence. Apart from aesthetic reasons, a missing tooth also impacts the way you talk, and eat your food. Over time, the bone mass which was supporting the tooth starts eroding and causes the loosening of your neighboring teeth. To prevent this and regain the confidence of a beautiful smile, most people, as well as doctors, prefer dental implants.
Why are dental implants the preferred option?
Dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth since they are the closest thing to getting back your original pearly whites. Most patients prefer implants to other tooth replacement options like dentures and dental bridges since they offer the maximum stability and durability. Patients maintaining their dental implants properly can expect them to last around 25-30 years and even more. Besides looking like real teeth, they also function like your natural ones. That alone is the reason why so many people consider them.
Now let's understand what are dental implants?
Dental implants are small titanium metal posts which are used to replace the roots of a missing tooth and support a custom made crown. They are placed in your jawbone through a minor surgical procedure that is done under local anesthesia at your doctor's chamber. To replace your missing tooth with an implant, the dentist will attach a crown that takes the place of your visible tooth. After your implant has fused with your jaw bone and healed, the crown will be changed to a permanent one that matches the colour of your teeth flawlessly. This process can be used to replace a single tooth or a number of teeth. Unlike bridges and dentures, crowns which are fitted to these implants do not shift or slip. The secure fit gives a more natural look. It also gives comfort while speaking and chewing food.
Is a dental implant very painful?
A dental implant is as painful as any other procedure done by your dentist, for eg a filling. Done under local anesthesia, an implant does not leave any open wound so the healing process is quicker. Minor discomfort after the placement of the implants can be relieved through normal painkillers like ibuprofen. Depending on which part of the mouth you have lost your tooth, your dental implant procedure should take less than an hour to complete.
Healthy gums for implants
If one is considering going for an implant, then you must know that implants need healthy gums with enough bone support. Oral hygiene is of utmost importance and regular dental visits should be made so as to ensure long term success of the implants.
Care of the Implants:
Usually dental implants are very successful and here are few steps to help you take care of them to get long term benefits:
- Good oral hygiene: Brush twice a day and make flossing a routine. Use of interdental brushes
- can help clean the areas around the implant.
- Abstain from smoking as it can make your bones weak and result in implant failure.
- Avoid putting too much pressure on the implants: Eating food items like gums and candies can
- break the crown of both artificial and natural teeth.
- Visit your dentist every six months.
If you wish to discuss about any specific dental problem, you can consult a dentist and ask a free question.