Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. K Santhosh Kumar
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. K Santhosh KumarYour feedback matters!
Dental implants are a type of a treatment that is carried out to replace missing teeth. During the process of extracting a damaged tooth, the root and the crown are removed. So, a dental implant involves placing a tooth on a precise titanium insert which is surgically placed on the jawbone. These supporting inserts are placed in the jawbone because they fuse with the jawbone (similar to orthopedic plates) and thus provide a strong foundation for the replacement teeth.
Why tooth loss matters?
A missing tooth or teeth can not only take away from the beauty of your smile, but tooth loss can also have many negative effects on your oral health, including:
- Bone loss
- Shifting and drifting teeth
- Bite changes
- Chewing difficulty
- Wearing down of remaining teeth
- Changes in the jaw joint
Types of implant placement
Whether an implant is placed immediately or in 2 phases depends on a variety of factors like bone density,initial fit of the implant during surgery,the other teeth,area of jaw,loads received during chewing etc.
Dental implant placement can be of two types
- Immediate single stage placement: In this type we place an implant and give you at least a temporary crown immediately,followed by a permanent crown shortly thereafter.
- Delayed (2 stage) Implants: Such a placement is usually to safeguard the implant from any early forces when its just healing and fusing within the bone.After the placement the implant is kept covered below the gum for 3 months and uncovered after this period to give you a permanent crown.
Now that you know about the different types, it is time to move on to the benefits of getting these.
- Long lasting: Compared to other treatments such as tooth bridges which last for 5-10 years, dental implants can last for an entire lifetime if maintained properly.The only part to replace is the crown.
- Mimicking natural teeth: Your replacement teeth will feel similar to your actual teeth, so you do not need to worry about your self-image issues. Flash that wonderful smile of yours without thinking over it the second time.
- Preserve surrounding teeth: When an implant is inserted in place of a missing tooth, adjacent healthy teeth are not damaged.
- Comfort: Dental implants being a fixed replacement they have none of the problems that removable dentures or other substitutes may cause.Patients who replace all of their teeth with dental implants can feel more comfortable talking, smiling and eating.