Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Joice Thilagam
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Joice ThilagamYour feedback matters!
Diabetes and exercise
Morning exercise is a bliss for whole day. Most people know exercise is good but hardly few people do it consistently.
Unlike smoking and alcohol, people are not addicted exercise because gratification is delayed in the latter and faster in former.
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will involve the patient in the proper use of food, fresh air and exercise.
Why is exercise must for diabetics?
Muscles can use glucose without insulin when exercising
This is the biggest benefit in diabetes
Benefits of exercise for diabetics
1) lowers blood sugar level
2) increases insulin sensitivity so that insulin acts better to control sugars
3) it lowers blood pressure
3) lowers basal and postprandial insulin concentration
4) lowers glycosylated hemoglobin (hba1c)
5) improves cholesterol levels
6) improves functioning of heart (cardiovascular system)
7) increases strength and flexibility of joints
8) burns fat
9) reduces psychological stress by the action of endorphins
10) increases self-esteem.
When to exercise?
Exercise whenever you gets time. Traditionally morning time is better.
For people with high blood sugars after food (post prandial, it's advisable to do 15 min walking after dinner.
Precautions before exercise
1) ideally it is better to check your blood sugars before exercise but it's not possible always.
2) if the fasting blood sugar is less than 100mg /dl, I recommend to eat 100 g fruit before exercise.
Best exercises for diabetics
1) brisk walking
2) weight training
5) stationary cycling
In my next posting, I will explain in details about above exercises and specific guidelines for maximum benefits.