Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Treatment of Lumbar Radiculopathy
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Treatment of Shin Splints
Treatment of Shin Splits
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Weight Management Treatment
Asthma Management Program
Skin Detoxification Treatment
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Health Check Up
Health Screening For Men
Submit a review for Dr. JayavelYour feedback matters!
A sip of tea to begin the day can banish the dregs of sleep and energize you for the day ahead. Tea is not only tasty, but has a number of health benefits as well. The most basic way tea helps the body is by hydrating it. Here are a few other benefits of a cup of tea.
- Soothes the digestive system: It is not only for taste that the Chinese like a cup of tea after their meals. Tea, particularly herbal tea can soothe the digestive system and aid in digestion. Ginger tea can additionally fight nausea.
- Clearer skin: Tea is rich in antioxidants that can detoxify the body and rid it of free radicals. This in turn helps fight signs of aging such as age spots, wrinkles and fine lines. It also keeps the skin firm and prevents sun damage.
- Improves heart health: Drinking a cup of tea regularly can help keep your heart healthy. This is because tea is a major source of flavanoids for the body that neutralizes free radicals. This also improves blood vessel and endothelial function and regularizes cholesterol levels. Green tea is also said to lower the risk of heart attacks.
- Weight loss: Tea has no calories of its own, just like water it keeps the body hydrated without affecting your weight. Thus, drinking a cup of tea instead of having a snack can temporarily fill the stomach and curb hunger pangs without any calorific gain. Also, oolong and green tea are said to increase metabolism rates, which further helps in weight loss.
- Boost dental health: When had without sugar or honey, tea can boost your dental health. Green tea protects the body against gum disease and can lower the risk of oral cancer. However, too much tea can stain enamel and spoil your smile if you do not maintain good dental hygiene habits.
- Reduced stress: Cortisol is one of the leading causes of stress. Tea can help reduce the amount of cortisol produced in the body and thus help you relax and fight stress. Lowered cortical levels can also slow down the aging process.
- Boost immunity: Herbal tea can also help boost the functionality of the immune system. Dandelion tea is said to aid the immune system in fighting ulcers, bronchitis and pneumonia. Chamomile tea has chemical compounds that increase the production of white blood cells. Similarly, ginseng tea encourages the production of both white blood cells and interferon.
Though it has a number of health benefits, like anything else, tea should not be had in excess. So, limit yourself to a cup or two a day.