Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. D.SampathYour feedback matters!
Colorectal surgery is a specialized branch of medicine used to treat patients suffering from colon, rectum, and anus ailments (damage, obstruction, injury, ischemia, inflammation, or any other medical condition). The colorectal surgery involves varied procedures that, at times, require the assistance of many specialized and experienced surgeons, consultants, and nurses (colorectal nurses).
Colorectal surgery help patients with:
- Crohn's disease: In this disease, there is weight loss, extreme fatigue, malnutrition, severe diarrhea, abdominal pain. Crohn's disease is mainly an inflammatory bowel disorder where the digestive tract (lining) gets inflamed.
- Ulcerative colitis: In ulcerative colitis, there is inflammation and ulcer formation in the rectum and the colon.
- Diverticulitis: In diverticulitis, there is inflammation of the diverticula or pouches (formed on the walls of the colon).
- Colorectal Cancer: Also known as bowel cancer and colon cancer.
Colorectal surgery is also helpful in case of:
- Anal fissures: In anal fissures, there is a tear in the anal canal (lining of the lower rectum). As a result, a person may experience extreme pain and discomfort in passing the stool.
- Bowel or fecal incontinence: In bowel incontinence, there is an uncontrolled bowel movement, resulting in a sudden (unexpected and uncontrolled) passing of stool.
- Hemorrhoids or Piles: It is a condition whereby the muscles and veins of the rectum and the anus (lower part) get swollen and inflamed. Piles are often accompanied by pain, bleeding, and itching. There is difficulty in sitting and in bowel movements.
- Rectal prolapse: In rectal prolapse, the entire rectal wall or the rectal mucosa protrudes out (loses its attachment).
Anal fistula and Anal abscess
Colorectal surgery can be of different types:
- Colostomy: It is a surgical procedure that links the colon to the abdominal surface through an opening called the stroma. This creates an alternative pathway for the removal of the feces. Colostomy comes in handy when the colon fails to function normally (due to a disease or an injury). A colostomy can be temporary or permanent:
- In a temporary colostomy, the damaged part of the colon is removed temporarily. Once the condition improves, the colon (part removed) can be reattached through a colostomy reversal surgery.
- In a permanent colostomy, the colon (damaged part) is removed permanently through surgery.
- Hemorrhoidectomy: As the name suggests, Hemorrhoidectomy is used to treat hemorrhoids or piles. In this procedure, the hemorrhoids are surgically removed through an incision (around the anus).
In PPH (Procedure for prolapse and hemorrhoids), the hemorrhoidal tissue is repositioned back into its original position (in the anus). Once repositioned, the surgeon trims the tissue causing pain and discomfort--
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Surgery: The surgery is an effective treatment for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. Here, the surgeon removes the colon to treat the condition.
- Rectopexy: Rectopexy is beneficial for patients with rectal prolapse.
- Internal Sphincterotomy: This is helpful in case of anal fissures. To reduce the pressure, the surgeon makes a small cut is made in the internal anal sphincter. In Internal Sphincterotomy, the patient is normally given a local anesthesia.
- Colectomy: To treat diseases that may affect the colon, a surgeon may remove the entire colon (Total Colectomy) or just a part of it (Partial Colectomy). Colectomy may further be:
- Proctocolectomy: Both colon and rectum are removed.
- Hemicolectomy: The left or right portion of the colon is removed. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Surgeon.
Mara face par pehle koi prob nhi thi but ab jesa hi mai bahar jati hu Mera face par iching start ho jati h bhot.Please tell.
Being in a computer based job, I have started getting dark circles around my eyes. What should I do to avoid these?
I am RAVINDER I have a problem in my back bon some time I am face many problems. But Back pen is regularly please suggest me.
Hi my age is 24. I am getting some rashes on my skin during summer season. How to avoid these rashes?
I have small problem in my skin like I have a lot of small black colored boils in my legs and I use same soap never changed but still that things are not going even I taught it was initially because of socks and now I'm in home age 22 after completion of college still this issue persists please help. Also I'm getting white patches on face when I'm in A. C.
I have boiled in the back side what medicine I have to take and what test to be done to get my health condition.
Your baby's skin is soft and sensitive. Being cautious can reduce the chances of skin infections, but it doesn't in any way refute the possibility altogether. Hence, you must be overly careful. Your baby could face intense discomfort if you happen to neglect the appearance of diaper rashes. Persistent rashes on your baby's bottom can make him or her irritable. Look into the causes and remedies of diaper rash in children to keep your baby cheerful.
Causes of Diaper Rash in Babies:
- Friction and lack of air circulation between the skin and the diaper can make your baby suffer from rashes. Make sure the baby doesn't rub against a diaper for too long; existing rashes can go worse in that case.
- You should never let your child remain in a dirty diaper for more than a while. A dirty diaper increases the risk of bacterial infections on your baby's bottom.
- Skin chafing could also be the reason behind diaper rashes.
- Yeast infections could surface in the form of rashes on a baby's bottom. Yeast or fungus is present in small amounts in every person's body. It can be easily developed in the moist yet warm atmosphere of a child's diaper. Being the mother, if you are on medications, your child's chances of contracting skin rashes is likely to be more. The side effects show in children as they are breastfed.
Ways to Treat Diaper Rash in Babies:
- Each time a diaper is changed; the area must be washed with lukewarm water and cleaned with a soft piece of cloth. The area should then be dried completely. It is best to avoid soaps as they can be harsh on sensitive skin.
- Applying ointments or petroleum jelly can soothe diaper rash. Powder can keep the area dry; it can also remedy itching.
- Feed your child liquids like cranberry juice; it makes his or her urine less concentrated. Concentrated urine can cause severe bacterial infection. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
M a sports man , before playing I was fare but now I have dull skin , what to do to get that fairness back ?
I have back spots as well as chicken pox on my face. I used scar removal cream for ten days but did not any changes on my face. What to do. Please give me a solution hurry.
Hi sir/mam I found breast lump in left breast 8 months back but there is no swelling discharge or any symptoms but pain at time of menses that's it I saw in some articles all breast lumps are not cause cancer pizz give me suggestion it cause any severe condition in future what precautions I should take.
Sir I am 24 years old I face some problem in so many years . Every 10-15 min urine will be pass especially this problem come only cold whether time I test sugar and ct scan but its not show any problem .but why this problem come I don't know proper condition please plz give me proper solution for this problem.
For most people, a beautiful looking, healthy, glowing, youthful skin is indeed a matter of pride. Unfortunately, quite a few factors (scars, aging) play the spoilsport. The damage, however, can still be controlled and reversed, all thanks to the chemical peels. The chemical peels have indeed been a revelation making a healthy looking rejuvenated and youthful skin very much a reality.
As the name suggests, a chemical is used in this procedure that penetrates into the skin layer (middle, outer, or both the layers) thereby removing the damaged skin (replaced by new healthy skin). The chemical peel addresses a plethora of skin problems such as visible signs of skin aging (wrinkles, sagginess, fine lines), acne scars, hyperpigmentation, Crow's feet (also called as Laugh Lines), Melasma (patchy brown or gray-brown skin discoloration appearing on the face), skin damage due to exposure to sun rays. A person can undergo a chemical peel on the face, hands and the neck.
Types of Chemical Peels
There are essentially three different types of chemical peels each taking care of specific skin problems.
- Deep chemical peel: This procedure plays a significant role in treating freckles, age spots, scars (often shallow), or even mild lines. Used only on the face, the chemical used in this peel is phenol or Trichloroacetic acid. The chemical used exfoliates and penetrates deep into the dermal layer (middle layer) of the skin, thereby removing the damaged and dead skin.
- Medium peel: This type of chemical peel takes care of fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, freckles, skin discoloration (a milder discoloration), actinic keratosis, or extremely rough skin (the skin appears and feels much smoother after the chemical peel). The Glycolic Peel falls under this group. Thus, the chemical used here is either Trichloroacetic acid or Glycolic acid. The chemical, in this case, exfoliates the outer as well as the dermal skin layer to get rid of the damaged skin.
- Lunchtime or superficial peel: The superficial peel is often used to rejuvenate the skin on the hands, neck, face or chest. It also deals with rough skin and also mild skin discoloration with elan. The chemical used in this type of peel is usually Alpha-hydroxy acid. This acid exfoliates only the epidermal layer (outer layer) of the skin.
Who should avoid the chemical peel?
The chemical peel is a big No for
- People with dermatological problems such as dermatitis, psoriasis, or eczema.
- Pregnant and lactating women.
- Those having used the drug Accutane at least six months before the chemical peel or those having used any acid based skin lightening products 48 hours before the procedure
- With the use of acid, expecting a burning sensation or redness(around the treated area) is normal.
- In the case of a medium or deep chemical peel, there may even be blister formation (takes around a week or two to heal).
- A person is also expected to avoid exposure to sun rays for quite a few months following the chemical peel. Consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The word colic directly refers to the colon. Colic pain is a sharp abdominal pain followed by bouts of crying usually occurring in infants below the age of one year. The pain only last for a short period of time ranging from a few weeks to a couple of months. Very few number of babies will cry endlessly indicating towards an underlying condition.
It is mainly characterized by sharp crying for supposedly no apparent reason, irregular sleep patterns, and restlessness or owing to deviation from normal postures. The apparent causes of colic pain include indigestion and negative reaction of the sensitive gut to the breast or formula milk, although no concrete cause of the state has been discovered.
Doctors often suggest home remedies such as swaddling, pacifiers, holding and comforting the baby and more frequent feedings to reduce the condition. Since it is so common among infants and relatively less harmful, no proper medication is usually given. Physicians suggest mothers to reduce the content of caffeine, alcohol or spice in their diet. Sometimes a warm bath, burping the baby or going on more frequent walks is useful. Background music draws the attention of the baby and hence drives their focus, away from the abdominal pains.
Colic pains are mainly treated by care rather than medicine. The baby is made to feel comfortable and the distress is reduced just by being around the infant. The primary care giver plays an important role in consoling the child and helping them get through the sudden pain which further plays a significant role in personality development. Colic pains are extremely short lived and probably one of the first few challenges of parenthood. They are primarily dealt with care and feeding except in extreme cases where medicinal cures such as lactase drops and simethicone drops are used to treat the abdominal pain. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.