Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Chandan
Laser Hair Removal
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Care Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Skin Diseases Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Wart Removal Technique
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Stretch Marks Treatment
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. ChandanYour feedback matters!
Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles, which is where hair growth begins. The damage to the follicle is usually not permanent. Experts do not know why the immune system attacks the follicles. Alopecia areata is most common in people younger than 20, but children and adults of any age may be affected. Women and men are affected equally.
What happens in alopecia areata?
Alopecia areata usually begins when clumps of hair fall out, resulting in totally smooth, round hairless patches on the scalp. In some cases the hair may become thinner without noticeable patches of baldness, or it may grow and break off, leaving short stubs (called" exclamation point" hair). In rare cases, complete loss of scalp hair and body hair occurs. The hair loss often comes and goes-hair will grow back over several months in one area but will fall out in another area.
When alopecia areata results in patches of hair loss, some time the hair usually grows back in a few months. 1 although the new hair is usually the same color and texture as the rest of the hair, it sometimes is fine and white.
About 10% of people with this condition may never regrow hair. As per alopathic experts says but with unani medicine its possible to have normal hair.
Results may take longer time if you have:-
- Have a family history of the condition.
- Have the condition at a young age (before puberty) or for longer than 1 year.
- Have another autoimmune disease.
- Are prone to allergies (atopy).
- Have extensive hair loss.
- Have abnormal color, shape, texture, or thickness of the fingernails or toenails.
Because hair is an important part of appearance, hair loss can result in feeling unattractive.
In some people with alopecia areata, the fingernails and toenails become pitted-they look as if a pin had made many tiny dents in them. They may also look like sandpaper.
Alopecia areata can be" completely cured" & can be treated. Most people who have one episode will have more episodes of hair loss.
We at Dr. Khans clinic have more then 10 years of experience in treating alopacia areata. Appreciable results can be seen in just 30 days.
My lips are always very dry even if I am not thirsty or hungry. Even after I eat I see my lips getting dry. Is this telling that something is wrong?
Hello doctor, I am a 21 years old college goer. I have irregular menstruation and scanty flow. And weight gain ,could not lose weight even when I was on strict diet and 1 hour exercise. I feel my scalp itchy even just after washing. I also have severe hairfall which I never experienced before. I took a thyroid test.in which. T3 is 1ng/ml. T4 is 7.73microgram/dl and TSH 1mIU/ml. If thyroid function is normal. What should I do. Please help me with this.
Hi doctor. Am 28old corporate business man. Pimples and my dull oily skin makes me off and my blackhead's on my nose. Friend suggest me for Tribeam laser treatment. Will you please help me Tribeam is safe are any another treatment to get rid off this please doctor.
I hd done all genium professional pimple treatment in all clinic fr my pcmc to pune but no use so much money I hd send no result no use thn I stop all thn asking to you cn you give me a 100%result on pimple.
I have suffering from skin problem in a few years, skin will change red colour and it causing itch also. Wat would be I do.
I am 18 year old I'm a guy n I've got many pimples on my back and my face! I would like to to know some tips or some ointment or lotion which helps in decreasing the pimples! And last but not the least I've got a cyst on my face so kindly help!
Suggest me some treatment for- Itching near my sexual area Not in sexual organ but around A kind of liquid will pore out after itching . When you touch it I feel water type but when I smell it it is very bad Please suggest me instant medicine and cream used for instant and forever relief form this kind of pain.
I have pimples on the back of my tongue, they only hurt when I brush them when I wash my mouth. What I should do?
I am having severe fair fall. I usually put hair oil once in a week. But whenever I do I see hair coming off easily like 60-70 threads or more. I am little worried. I am 27. I don’t want to get bald. Please suggest something which would really help me.
Hair loss is not just an aesthetic issue, it also lowers self esteem and confidence level, affecting the overall morale and personality. Ayurveda considers hair loss to be a problem associated with excessive pita and a combination of yoga, meditation, massage oils, and hair products can help cure hair fall. In terms of yoga, there are specific asanas which increase blood flow to the scalp and thereby promote hair growth.
Hair loss also is believed to be an effect of stress and anxiety, so meditation to calm the mind and body plays a great role in controlling hair loss. Light oils like almond oil and castor oil, when warmed and massaged onto the scalp, induce hair growth and can help control hair fall. There are various products which are believed to have a dramatic effect on hair fall.
- Bhringaraj: Known as the king of herbs, its literal meaning is “king of hair". It reverses balding, prevents premature graying, and also promotes hair growth. It is available as oil and as powder, its leaves also can be used as a paste that is left in place for a couple of hours and then washed off. The bhringaraj powder can also be mixed with other products like amla and tulsi and coconut oil to give shine to the hair.
- Brahmi: This works by promoting growth of the follicles and nourishing the roots. It also reduces dandruff and removes dead skin from the scalp, thereby reducing itchiness. Mixed with curd and lukewarm water and applied on the hair regularly, it can turn the hair shiny and thick. It can also be mixed with ritha, alma, and tulsi for better results.
- Ritha: Soap nut powder has been used for centuries to promote hair growth. It has very mild soap and so can be used even daily. Soak it overnight and use the water to wash off hair. It contains saponin which adds to the hair strength and shine.
- Shikakai: Meaning “fruit for hair,” this has loads of antioxidants and vitamins which nourish the hair. It retains the natural oils in the scalp, and so adds to the shine and strength of the hair. The powder can be mixed with warm water or oil to form a paste that is applied on the hair and left in place for a couple of hours. It can also be added to tea and then used on the hair.
- Neem: Reduces itchiness, cools the scalp, improves blood circulation, and cures the scalp of itchiness, scaliness and dandruff. Water boiled with neem leaves and neem oil produce very good results.
The next time you are worried of hair fall, try these options and see the difference. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.