Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Cardiologists in India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Balloon Angioplasty Procedure
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Preventing Stent Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. Balaji.PYour feedback matters!
Can we have both type of pathy allopathy n ayurvedic simultaneously. Related to kidney n heart. please ans me as soon as possible.
I am suffering from dry cough for the last 3weeks and I have chest pain whenever I cough hard. Can you suggest what should be done?
Postmenopausal women taking calcium and vitamin d supplements had improved lipid profiles with those taking placebo as reported in a study published in the journal menopause.
In an analysis of data from the women?s health initiative, the level of ldl cholesterol was lower by an average of 4.46 mg/dl in the women on active treatment reported peter f. Schnatz, do, of reading hospital in pennsylvania.
In addition, higher levels of 25?hydroxyvitamin d3 (25 (oh) d3) were associated with higher levels of hdl cholesterol and lower levels of ldl cholesterol and triglycerides.
Carotid artery disease occurs when an oily, waxy substance called plaque builds up inside the carotid arteries. These are arteries that supply oxygenated blood to your brain, face, scalp, and neck.
Carotid artery disease is very serious as it can cause a brain stroke. It, in fact, starts with damage to the inner layer of the carotid artery. To stem this damage your body starts a healing process and this leads to a build up of plaque at the point where the artery is damaged.
When this plaque ruptures, platelets are rushed in and these create an obstruction to the flow of blood to the brain. When the blood supply to the brain is cut off, which happens in carotid disease, the brain cells begin to die causing a stroke. This neural death impairs the parts of the body that these brain cells control. So, you can get paralyzed, become speech or vision impaired, have long –term effects like paralysis or even die due to a stroke.
Causes of carotid disease
- High cholesterol levels
- High blood pressure
- High levels of sugar in the blood due to diabetes
What’s even more worrisome is that carotid artery disease may not cause any signs or symptoms until the carotid arteries are severely narrowed or blocked. And what usually happens is that a stroke becomes the first sign of the disease.
How scary is that?
So, the next question that comes to the mind is - Can this condition be cured? Let’s learn more about management and prevention of the same-
Lifestyle changes are key. Since hypertension, uncontrolled diabetes, sedentary lifestyles and imbibing too much fat are all risk factors, taking care of them minimizes the risk of carotid disease and strokes. Heart healthy lifestyle changes that include moderate exercise are a great way to prevent carotid disease.
Treatments for carotid artery disease include:
Medicines: Sometimes lifestyle changes do not stem the rot. You need medicinal help. Doctors usually prescribe statin medications to control your cholesterol levels. These lower the bad cholesterol that can narrow your carotid arteries and cause brain strokes and damage. Statins are usually prescribed for people who have:
- Heart disease
- Those who’ve had a stroke
- High LDL or bad cholesterol levels
Medicines like Aspirin and Clopidogrel to prevent blood clots are the mainstay treatment if you suffer from carotid disease. They prevent platelets from clumping together inside your carotid arteries and forming blood clots. Apart from these, your doctor may also medicate you for conditions that can damage your carotid arteries and cause strokes. These medicines are for lowering your BP, blood sugar levels, preventing the formation of blood clots anywhere in your body including inside your heart, and preventing and reducing inflammation.
These are used to open narrowed or blocked carotid arteries.
The two common procedures are:
Carotid endarterectomy: It’s mainly for people whose carotid arteries are blocked 50 percent or more. In this, the inner lining of the carotid artery that is blocking blood flow is removed.
Carotid artery angioplasty and stenting: Here, doctors use a procedure called angioplasty to widen the blocked carotid arteries and restore blood flow to the brain. A stent is inserted into your carotid artery to broaden the lumen.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Our father sufferers brain stroke on 17_10_2017. Visited hospital and was in ICU for 10 days now he has discharged and is home .though he was diagnosed with stroke the hospital has kept the reports with itself .but now he is almost OK .he can get up and talk freely .but is unable to stand straight and walk .please advice what further action is needed.
I have recently checked my lipids and I got total cholesterol 242 and hdl 33 and I am suffering with high blood pressure from 1 year please let me know what to do.
I m having diabetes and bp and heart problem. Today I got a message on my what'sapp that a doctor of mumbai has approved a complete curable medicine without any side-effect because it's homely medicine without any chemical and that is take 100 grams of wheat & 100 grams of (jaw) barley & 100 grams of gond of any two trees & 100 grams of kalaunji & in 5 cups of water boil it for half an hour & then filter it & keep it in a bottle. And daily in the morning take two spoons of this medicine & drink it empty-stomach for seven days & then on alternate day for one week. So total course is for two weeks only. And amazingly the acute diabetic patient gets free from diabetes for the whole life. So my question is this that whether this is true or does it needs any type of amendment in processing or usage.
Does radiation therapy to the neck and hypothyroidism cause the blood pressure to rise? After my RT last Dec, my blood pressure has elevated. Now after every meal (chewing and swallowing), my blood pressure elevates to 150/110. I am on Diovan but it does not help.
Hi, This is regards to medical condition of my mom, she is 55 year old, she is suffering from this prob. Since last 30 years, Whenever she gets emotional/upset/tensed about anything, she starts crying unconsciously, and during this her body gets stiff, her eyes are closed, her mouth is tightly closed, once she stops crying she is completely breathless, feeling weak, this happens when she is thinking about any unpleasant / sad incidence, she is also an high BP patient please suggest.
Dear sir, I am 45yrs old diabetics from last 12 yrs now started blood pressure also and always its coming 160/100. Currently taking following medicine. Huminsulin 18"14. Glymy 2 forte 1"1. Cilacar 20 1"1. Telsar beta 50 1"1. Prazoexcel 5 1"1 ecosprin 150 1 extor -10 x1 but not much more improvement in my health. Kindly advise.
Hi, I have chest pain regularly. Can I take Ibuprofen? I have chest pain regularly could you please recommend me a drug?
Hello respected doctors, I am on B.P tablet Met xl 12.5, I constantly feel fatigue low mood, life is not much enjoyable, apart from it, I am facing difficulty to talk and understand/concentrate, I am sleeping for 14- fifteen hours a day still feel drowsy Maybe because I am on nexito10 tab which I take at 9pm, talking difficulties like slur speech eye pain on inner part of eye I feel heavy head, feeling like brain is blocked and it expands or beats like heart And during this eye pain starts and mostly when I am stressed or very much tensed/worried I feel there is a pressure on my brain and eyes, I am unable to remember/recollect things. Do I require a Brain Scan? whom can help me psychiatrist or neurologist or both I need to consult?
Blood pressure rises with each heartbeat and falls as your heart relaxes. The normal blood pressure should be less than 120/80 mm hg. An increase or decrease on either end can cause various problems.
Here are some of the natural ways to control your blood pressure.
- Having a diet low in sodium: In the event of a high blood pressure, curtail the consumption of foods that are rich in sodium. However, research reveals that sometimes it is not just enough to cut down on sodium in your diet. A person suffering from high bp should consume foods rich in minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium as well to keep his/her bp in check.
- Drink plenty of water and curtail the consumption of alcohol: In case a person suffers from low blood pressure, it is advisable to drink plenty of water as low blood pressure is usually accompanied by bouts of dehydration, and consumption of water can help increase your blood pressure. Also, health drinks, which are rich in electrolytes, help your raise blood pressure. But one should avoid drinks that are high in sugar, and abating your alcohol consumption also helps to quite an extent.
- Burn extra calories and exercise regularly: Blood pressure usually increases with weight. Being overweight can lead to sleep apnea, which is marked by disruptive breathing while you sleep, which in turn condition can lead to increased blood pressure. Studies have found that weight loss is one of the most effective ways to control high bp. Regular physical activity is also advised to maintain a stable blood pressure.
- Avoid long, hot showers: The hot water in showers and spas can expand your blood vessels, which can often lead to a drop in blood pressure. A common sign of this would be dizziness and fainting while taking a bath. Therefore, for people suffering from this condition, using warm water rather than hot water is advisable.
- Completely avoid stress: One of the contributing factors of high blood pressure is chronic stress. Stress tends to affect blood pressure in indirect ways. Many react to stress by overeating, consumption of alcohol and smoking, all of which can increase your blood pressure. Try to know what triggers your stress and take steps to avoid it. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.