Find numerous Neurologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Neurologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Neurologists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Anand
Treatment of Headaches
Treatment of Forgetfulness
Treatment of Epilepsy
Treatment of Tremors
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Schizophrenia
Treatment of Brain Injury
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease
Treatment of Hyperactivity Disorder
Treatment of Paralysis
Treatment of Hyperactivity
Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis
Treatment of Meningitis
Treatment of Stroke
Treatment of Seizures
Treatment of Parkinson's Disease
Submit a review for Dr. AnandYour feedback matters!
The word epilepsy brings to mind visions of people frothing at the mouth and rolling on the ground. However, epilepsy affects each patient in a different way. This can make it hard to recognize at times. In the more serious cases of epilepsy, an epileptic attack can make a patient injure himself or develop other life threatening conditions. In rare cases, epilepsy can even cause death. Thus it becomes imperative to understand how to deal with epilepsy.
Treatment options for epilepsy can be categorized as medication, surgical procedures and dietary changes.
Medication for epilepsy is prescribed on the basis of the symptoms presented and the type of epilepsy the patient is suffering from. In most cases, seizures can be controlled with a single type of medication, but in others, the doctor may need to prescribe a combination of medicines to control epilepsy. These forms of medication do have side effects and hence any reactions to the medication must be immediately brought to the doctor's notice. The dosage for epilepsy medication may need to be varied with time. An epileptic patient should never discontinue medication on their own.
Depending on the type of seizures and the area of the brain affected, a doctor may advise surgery in cases of severe epilepsy. Surgery can help reduce the number of seizures experienced or completely stop them. Surgery to treat epilepsy is of many types. Some of the common procedures are:
1. Surgery to remove tumor of any such conditions that may be triggering the epileptic attacks
2. Surgery to remove a small section of the brain from where a seizure originates. This may also be referred to as a lobectomy.
3. Multiple subpial transaction or a surgery that involves making a series of cuts in the brain to prevent the seizures from spreading to other parts of the brain.
4. Surgery to sever the neural connections between the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
5. Surgery to remove half the brain's cortex or outer layer
A diet rich in fats and low in carbohydrates can help reduce seizures. This is known as a ketogenic diet and aims at making the body break down fats instead of carbohydrates. It can cause a buildup of uric acid in the body and thus should be practiced only under the guidance of a dietician. In cases where epileptic attacks are triggered by malnutrition and birth defects, taking vitamin supplements can help lower the frequency of seizures.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 32 years old man and have no sensation in my above forehead for last 23 years. What should I do?
I have migraine for over 15 years. Nowadays I have severe pain in my head over and around eyes. Please help me.
Due to certain incident in may 2015 though it was protected sex, I had done my hiv test on 7th day, 135th day and 174th day from that incident. All report was negative. Do I need further test as I am scared and for last 6 month I am facing many health issues like hip pain, fissure, mouth sores, itching in lower part of legs or below knee.
Migraine daily from 3 days in the morning what the reason or related to heart disease bcoz I my bp always 150.
My age is 23 I had recently septoplasty done after that I have numbness in foot in early morning for 5 or 10 min and dry mouth what is reason for that.
I am suffering of migraine from last 12 years, in the beginning the attack was very rare. But from last 1 year it is twice in a week, I started taking Ayurvedic medicine and continued till today since last 8 months but severity n frequency of attack is increased. Now it lasts for more of 24 hours.
When I stand immidiatly numness occour in my left tigh so I want to know what is the reason, also suffring from acidity, every time I feel that I have to go for toilet, pls help me
If you have noticed your child to be restless and anxious all the time, it might look cute as the child is highly energetic, but it could be a cause for concern at the same time. It is not normal and the child could be having ADHD that is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. As the name suggests, it is a disorder with deficiency of attention and in which the child is always hyperactive.
ADHD is a disorder in which the symptoms usually show up before the age of seven. It is characterized by a group of behavioral symptoms that include inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness. The impact of these symptoms is felt extensively where his overall self-esteem is affected, be it at home, preschool or school, academics or extracurricular activities and in interpersonal relationships.
The most common symptoms, which are almost diagnostic of ADHD are:
- Inability to hold attention: The child's attention span is very short and it is very difficult to keep them engaged on one particular thing.
- Increased restlessness: The child would be extremely restless and gets distracted easily.
- Fidgeting: The child would be seen constantly fidgeting with his fingers.
The following are the less common ones:
- Learning disability is rare, but can happen. However, the good news is that it does not affect the child's intelligence.
- Sleep disorders
- Difficulty in following directions
- Poor executive functioning skills
- Disorganization, which can lead to poor motor coordination and impaired movements
- ADHD kids tend to forget things very easily and need help with coordinating movements
- The child suffering from ADHD could easily tire and/or feel lethargic with very low energy levels. This can lead to the child procrastinating things and not wanting to do things on priority basis
- These children also have difficulties with fine motor and cognitive skills and so there is delay in their overall participation in games.
While these are the pressing symptoms of ADHD, occupational therapy can play a significant role in managing the child in the following ways. As a first step, the caregiver should have a detailed discussion with the school staff and any other people with whom the child interacts significantly.
This will help identify areas that need support from an Occupational Therapy, which are the following:
- Support with gross and/or fine motor skills
- Support with improving handwriting
- Support with engaging in playing sports and games
- Support in engaging in social activities
- Improving sensory processing difficulties
- Improving visual perception
- Support in adapting to the environment
- Teaching strategies to participate in various social and academic activities
So, while an ADHD child is definitely a cause for concern, proper support from family can help manage the condition. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.