Lybratthe most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Amirthalakshmi ParthasarathiYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
So many doctors I consulted, but hertreatment was the best. I was really stressed about my delivery but I am amazed that Dr. amirthalakshmi is such a sweet doctor, even though she is so busy all the time. The entire clinic in Chennai was spotlessly, clean. I was quite impressed with herconcept of holistic healing. My boss referred me to go to her. The clinic has proper facilities for disabled patients as well. I am very thankful to herfor giving me the biggest joy of my life.
dr Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi is an excellent doctor! Never seen a doctor who understands the problem of each and every patient with best of her abilities and suggests best possible solution.. Very honest to her profession..In addition to this whole staff at dr P.Amirthalakshmi in Chennai is very genuine, kind and supportive..she gave me treatment for my problem of back pain.
Even though the doctor is not from our city, she is still very famous, so we consulted herfor ,u pronlem of delay periods. I was quite impressed with herconcept of holistic healing.The facilities available in the drP.Amirthalakshmi in chennai are very nice. I am overly benefitted with the treatment.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be very helpful, knowledgeable, well-reasoned, professional and caring. Thank you so much. You have really given a very valid reasoning to my problem. I would follow your advise
Due to an unfortunate accident, I had to undergo an abortion. I was under stress and pain. I visited Dr Amirtha Lakshmi Parthasarathi at her clinic in Chennai. She helped me a lot in relieving my mental and physical pain both.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be knowledgeable, thorough, well-reasoned, prompt and practical. Thanks for this wonderful service. It was really helpful.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be very helpful, well-reasoned, professional, nurturing and saved my life. Thank you so much Mam!!
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be very helpful. Thank u i was scared i never had this problem before.ill take this medicine
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be caring. Thank you for good concern first doctor to type detailed explanation
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be saved my life. Thank i doc. Are u sure doc. Then what would be the reason
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be knowledgeable. Share feedback in your own words...
Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi provides answers that are very helpful. i found your answer very helpful , thanks alot
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be knowledgeable and very helpful. Thank u
Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi provides answers that are very helpful. Thanks a lot for your quick response.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be very helpful. Thanku ma'am....
I found the answers provided by the Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi to be knowledgeable. Thanks for this
She was analysing my problem with more care. And made myself more relaxed and stress free my problem.
Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi provides answers that are well-reasoned. some times it took 45 days
Dr. Amirthalakshmi Parthasarathi provides answers that are knowledgeable. Thank u mam
Bacterial vaginosis is an infection of the vagina that occurs due an imbalance of the vaginal bacteria. The naturally occurring bacteria in the vagina overgrow in number and this creates the imbalance. This disorder is very common among women, especially who are pregnant. This problem is usually not very serious and tends to go away in 4-5 days. However, in certain cases, they can cause serious complications:
The symptoms of bacterial vaginosis are:
1. You may experience vaginal discharge that is white or gray in color
2. You may have constant itching in your vagina
3. The vaginal discharge usually has a foul smelling odor
4. You may have a burning sensation while urinating.
Causes behind it:
Vaginal bacteria can be either good or bad. Any disruption in the delicate balance of the vaginal bacteria can lead to bacterial vaginosis. There is no exact known cause of this disorder, but it is believed that having multiple sex partners increases this risk. Other factors can be:
- Douching: If you clean your vagina with water and other cleansing agents on a regular basis, then it may create bacterial imbalance, thus leading to this infection.
- Multiple partners: Having multiple sex partners puts you at a higher risk of contracting bacterial vaginosis.
This disorder may also lead to various complications such as:
- STIs: This infection may make you highly susceptible to various infections such as chlamydia, HIV and gonorrhea.
- Disorders of the pelvic region: Bacterial vaginosis may lead to inflammation in the pelvic region, which in turn may lead to infertility.
- Preterm birth: It increases the chance of premature birth.
There are certain preventive measures that you can adopt to prevent this condition:
1. Using soaps which contain no or very little chemicals
2. Use latex condoms during sexual intercourse to prevent sexually transmitted infections.
3. Don’t clean your vagina on a regular basis
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
The pleasure of intercourse can be dampened by the risk of STDs. Intensive stress or the use of preventive measures in order to curb the chances of contracting STDs is being laid of late because of the far-reaching health hazards such infections may involve. STDs or Sexually Transmitted Diseases can even be life threatening and hence prevention is a must. Instances where the diseases have already been contracted should be aided with high- quality medical assistance. An early diagnosis can save your life.
The following are a few ways in which you can keep STDs at bay:
- Since diagnosis eases out your way through diseases and disorders, an overall health check-up once a year should invariably include an HIV test.
- It is also important to keenly jot down your personal weaknesses. If you are a drug addict or you’re into some or the other kind of substance abuse, you’re more prone to end up not having safe sex. You alone can keep your consciousness on a leash and defend yourself against STDs.
- Make sure you always have protected sex. Condoms, either male or female, should be used to steer clear of sexual diseases and infections. There are certain instructions a person needs to adhere to while using condoms. After usage, water should be filled inside this used piece of latex to check for open pores.
- Personal items such as handkerchiefs, towels and especially undergarments, should never be shared.
- Intercourse should not be gotten over with to be directly followed by rest or some other activity. You must wash yourself both before and after sex.
- The Hepatitis B vaccination can also protect you against these maladies.
In order to prevent STDs, infected people should also be aware of these tips:
- If you are already suffering from a sexually transmitted disease or infection, you should be double careful to use a condom with your sex partner.
- The sex partner should be taken for HIV tests.
- The best way is to remain under the guidance of an experienced doctor. If your doctor asks you to abstain from sexual intercourse to enhance the efficacy of prescribed medications, you should blindly go by that rule. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
A yeast infection in the vagina is characterized by itchiness, irritation in the vulva and vaginal discharge. Inflammation occurs in the tissues of the vagina, leading to constant itching. Though this is not a sexually transmitted infection, the fungus may spread via oral sex where the mouth and genitals come in contact.
The symptoms of vaginal yeast infection are:
1. You may experience a painful sensation during sexual intercourse
2. An itching sensation in the vaginal opening
3. A sore and painful vagina
4. Rashes may develop in the vagina
5. You may have a thick and whitish discharge from your vagina
Apart from this, the symptoms may turn severe under certain circumstances. The risk factors are:
1. If you are a diabetic, then you are at a high risk of contracting this infection
3. If you are taking medications or have infections such as HIV then it may cause your immune system to malfunction. This increases your risk of vaginal yeast infections.
4. Multiple episodes of yeast infections (about 4 or more).
Causes behind it
The vaginal yeast infection is caused by a fungus known as candida. This fungus naturally exists in the vagina along with a bacterium called ‘lactobacillus’. This bacteria produces a substance that controls the over growth of the yeast. Yeast infection occurs when the balance is disturbed due to various factors such as:
1. If you are pregnant
2. Taking antibiotics may modify the pH balance of your vagina, leading to yeast infection
3. Any therapy or medication that increases estrogen levels in the body
4. If you have diabetes or an impaired immune system
Medications such as ointments, tablets and creams are administered to get rid of the yeast infection. It is recommended to not use latex condoms as birth control measures; as the oily nature of the lotions and ointment can weaken the latex thus, increasing the risks of unplanned pregnancies.
There are certain preventive measures which you may adopt to prevent these infections, them being:
1. Do not wear tight fitting undergarments
2. The material of your clothes should preferably be cotton based
3. Do not use hot water for your bath
4. Don’t stay in your wet clothes for long hours
If you are having problems conceiving, you are not alone; around one in seven couples has difficulty.
Infertility is often thought of as a female concern, but in fact in a third of the cases, it is because of male problems, such as a low sperm count.
Male infertility is a condition wherein a man is unable to cause a successful pregnancy in a perfectly fertile woman. Male infertility usually stems from deficiencies in the semen (relating to poor sperm count or low sperm motility).
On the other hand, female infertility is as a condition wherein a woman is unable to carry a pregnancy to full term or conceive after an entire year of having unprotected sexual intercourse.
What causes infertility?
Causes of Male Infertility:
Blockage or obstruction either in the production of sperm or its motility leads to infertility. This problem is caused by various factors such as prostate infections or vasectomy (a surgical procedure used for birth control in men).
Difficulty in the production of sperm, either due to genetic or chromosomal causes, can lead to this condition. Damage to the testes or the condition of undescended testes can also result in this disorder.
Hormonal problems caused due to anabolic steroid (a synthetic steroidal hormone with effects similar to those of testosterone) abuse or pituitary tumors (tumors of the endocrine gland) are other factors responsible for male infertility.
Other factors that may play a part in infertility include:
having had inflamed testes (orchitis)
a past bacterial infection that caused scarring and blocked tubes within the epididymis as it joins the vas
having received medical treatment such as drug treatment, radiotherapy or surgery – for example to correct a hernia, undescended testes or twisted testicles
lifestyle factors such as being overweight or having a job that involves contact with chemicals or radiation.
Male fertility is also thought to decline with age, although to what extent is unclear.
Causes of Female Infertility:
Ovulation disorders: Ovulation disorders account for about 25% cases of female infertility. This happens either because of under-secretion or other problems in the secretion of the reproductive hormone by the pituitary gland.
Tubal infertility: The fallopian tubes allow the eggs to travel from ovaries to the uterus. Any blockage or obstruction of these tubes results in infertility, owing do the fact that the eggs or the ova do not reach the uterus. Certain factors such as pelvic inflammation (infections of the uterus) can result in the blockage of the fallopian tubes.
Other factors that may play a part include:
age – female fertility declines sharply after the age of 35
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
gynaecological problems such as previous ectopic pregnancy or having had more than one miscarriage
medical conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy, and thyroid and bowel diseases
lifestyle factors such as stress, being overweight or underweight, and smoking.
Treatment Methods for Males:
Surgery can correct blockage or obstruction in the testes.
Gonadotropin treatment is a treatment method to develop sperm production. This includes injectable medicines which comprise of both the hormones, Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). This mode of treatment has been found to improve sperm motility, morphology and count.
Varicocele treatment method is the enlargement of a varicose vein (swollen or twisted vein) in the scrotum (testicles). The objective of this treatment is to correct abnormal sperm shape.
Treatment Methods for Females:
Fertility stimulating drugs: Fertility restoring drugs are known to induce ovulation in women who have ovulation disorders. They tend to work like hormone stimulators such as the luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) which trigger ovulation.
Surgical process: There are surgical treatment methods available to boost female fertility. Laparoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive surgery that reduces or corrects abnormalities related to pregnancy
Trichomoniasis is an infection that is caused by a parasite and is transmitted sexually. This disorder is characterized by symptoms of itching in the genitalia, smelly discharge from the vagina and pain while urinating. This disorder may also result in premature birth in case of pregnant women.
The symptoms of this disorder are:
1. Redness around the genitals, which may cause intense itching
2. You may experience pain during sexual intercourse and urination
3. A smelly colored vaginal discharge
4. You may experience discharge from the penis
5. A burning sensation during ejaculation and urination
6. A constant feeling of irritation in the penis
Causes behind it
The disorder is caused by a parasite known as Trichomonas vaginalis. Certain factors increase your chances of contracting this disorder; them being:
1. Engaging in unprotected sexual intercourse
2. If you have had an episode of Trichomoniasis
3. If you have been affected by STI/STDs before
4. Having multiple sex partners can certainly augment its chances
There are certain preventive measures that you can adopt to prevent this infection.
Avoid engaging in sexual activities once the condition is diagnosed.
If you are, it is always advised to use latex condoms during intercourse to decrease your chances of contracting this disease.
Avoid engaging in sexual intercourse with multiple sex partners. If this disorder is not treated, then it may increase your chances of getting affected by HIV as well.
It also tends to cause an early rupture of the membranes in pregnant women; resulting in premature delivery.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.