Weight Management Counseling
Nutrition Assessment Service
Weight Loss Diet Counseling
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Treating Post Bypass Surgery Blockages
Preventing Post Bypass Surgery Blockages
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Preventing Stent Surgeries
Asthma Treatment & Management
Treatment Of Restenosis
Weight Loss Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Ketogenic Diet Treatment
Therapeutic Diets Treatment
Submit a review for Sri Lakshmi Poly ClinicYour feedback matters!
As for any other medical system, homeopathy has its specific range and limitations. It is true that we cannot deal with all situations. Recognize the limitations of homeopathy. It will only strengthen you.
Homeopathy is not a ‘panacea’. Homeopath is not an ‘all-healer’. Homeopathy is a specialized branch of therapeutics with its specialized area of application. Homeopathy is a ‘method of treating diseases using molecular imprints forms of drugs’. Nothing more, nothing less.
We should be always conscious about our limitations in practicing homeopathy. Mainly, they belong to three classes:
Limitations of homeopathy-
a) Homeopathy cannot cure diseases arising from genetic abnormalities;
b) Homeopathy cannot cure diseases arising from primary nutritional deficiency;
c) Homeopathy cannot cure diseases that require mechanical interventions.
Limitations of individual homeopaths-
a) Limitations of knowledge;
b) Limitations of skills;
c) Limitations of experience in applying homeopathy.
3. Limitations related with our tools-
a) We have no any idea regarding what are the active principles of potentized drugs, or how they actually work;
b) There is no way to know whether medicines we use are genuine regarding its identity, purity or potency- we have to simply believe the labels;
c) We do not have exact knowledge about factors that deactivate or diminish the actions of potentized drugs, and hence we cannot take precautions against them.
Therapeutic range of homeopathy is limited to the treatment of diseases arising from molecular errors caused by exogenous or endogenous pathogenic molecules binding to various biological molecules and producing their inhibitions.
Molecular imprints contained in the potentized homeopathic preparations bind to ligands or biological molecules merely due to their complementary configurations without any charge affinity, whereas natural ligands bind to their biological target molecules in capacity of their appropriate spacial configurations as well as charge affinities. So, the bindings of molecular imprints with biological molecules or their ligands will be very temporary and cannot stay long. Such bindings of molecular imprints cannot replace the natural ligand-target interactions happening as part of vital processes.
Molecular imprints cannot compete with natural ligands in binding to their natural biological targets. Hence it is obvious that potentized homeopathic preparations cannot interfere in biological ‘ligand-target’ processes such as ‘substrate-enzyme’, ‘antigens-antibodies’, ‘signal-receptor’ etc. As such, chances of potentized homeopathic medicines acting as pathological agents are very rare even if used indiscriminately. Molecular imprints can interfere only in interactions between pathogenic molecules and biological molecules, as well as off-target bindings of ligands with biological molecules, where only configurational affinity is involved. Obviously, molecular imprints can act upon only the molecular blocks created by exogenous or endogenous foreign pathological molecules.
Exogenous pathogenic molecules may be coming from environment through food, water, air, drugs, toxins, alien proteins, infectious agents and the like. Endogenous pathogenic molecules may be off-target actions of metabolic byproducts, free radicals, various biological substrates and ligands, endocrine secretions, neuro transmitters, deformed proteins, antibodies (miasms), immune bodies etc etc.
Molecular imprints contained in potentized drugs selected as similimum can bind to these pathogenic molecules in capacity of their complementary conformational affinity and deactivate them, thereby removing the molecular inhibitions they produced.
When modern life supporting facilities are required, homeopath should refer the case to a modern hospital, instead of himself trying to use allopathic drugs. I had had many occasions when I had to consult allopaths for myself as well as my family members, when homeopathy did not help.
Same way, in many chronic cases where allopathy has nothing to do, homeopathy will solve the problem like a magic wand. We should be well aware of the strengths and limitations of homeopathy.
Surgery is another specialization, which should be done by surgeons- not homeopaths. Even in modern medicine, a medical specialist will not do surgery. He will send his patients to surgeons, when surgery is required. A cardiologist will not do surgery, but send his patient to a cardiac surgeon. An interventional cardiologist will not do a bye-pass surgery. Every specialization has its special field, and its limitations.
Potentized homeopathic drugs cannot be produce anaesthesia.
Potentized drugs cannot prevent pregnancy or cause abortion. It is ridiculous to talk about 'homeopathic' contraceptives. CONCEPTION and PREGNANCY are natural PHYSIOLOGICAL processes. Molecular imprints contained in potentized drugs cannot prevent normal interactions between biological molecules and their natural ligands.
Even though potentized drugs can provide short term prophylaxis during epidemics and in acute infectious diseases, but cannot be used for life long immunizations, as molecular imprints get deactivated within our body with in a short period.
Diseases arising from ‘inherited’ genetic abnormalities cannot be cured by homeopathy. Diseases caused by ‘new mutations or changes to the DNA’ could be ‘prevented’, cured, or at least ‘relieved’ by homeopathic treatment. Potentized drugs cannot create epigenetic errors, but can prevent it, and deal with pathologies arising from epigenetic causes.
A ‘genetic disorder’ is an illness caused by abnormalities in genes or chromosomes, especially a condition that is present from before birth. Most genetic disorders are quite rare and affect one person in every several thousands or millions.
A ‘genetic disorder’ may or may not be a heritable disorder. Some genetic disorders are passed down from the parents’ genes, but others are always or almost always caused by new mutations or changes to the DNA. In other cases, the same disease, such as some forms of cancer, may be caused by an inherited genetic condition in some people, by new mutations in other people, and by nongenetic causes in still other people.
At the same time, these molecular imprints can effectively deal with the pathogenic actions of deformed proteins that may result from genetic errors, thereby preventing them from creating cascading of pathological molecular blocks at various targets. As such, homeopathic medicines can play a great role even in the treatment of certain diseases of genetic origin, at least as palliatives.
Moreover, potentized homeopathic medicines can safeguard genetic material from dangerous mutations that may be caused the by inhibitory actions of endogenous or exogenous pathogenicl agents such as toxic drugs, heavy metals, super-oxides etc., on enzymes related with nucleic acid synthesis and genetic expressions.
In any genetic disorder, there would be a cascading of molecular errors, which are caused by the absence or abnormalities of some essential proteins or enzymes. Secondary diseases arising from such cascading actions resulting from genetic disorders could be treated by homeopathy, even though the basic abnormality of genes will remain untouched by such a treatment. We can say, we cannot cure genetic disorders, but can give relief to many complaints associated with such disorders.
Potentized drugs are effective in treating various 'injuries' and their after-effects. A physical INJURY means a DAMAGE to any tissue. It may be burns, scalds, sprains, strains, fractures, cuts, contusions, bruises, abrasions etc etc. BURNS may be caused by chemicals, heat, radiations or many factors.
In any injury, there is DAMAGE to tissues. CELLS are damaged, resulting in release of of various catecholamines, cytokines, histamines and various CHEMICAL MOLECULES that initiate INFLAMMATORY processes, depending upon the nature of injury and the tissue affected. Various normal conversions and transportation of metabolites are obstructed, and they accumulate in various locations where they inhibit other biological molecules. PAIN, BURNING, SWELLING, NUMBNESS- all abnormal sensations are the effects of INHIBITIONS these ENDOGENOUS molecules produce in different biochemical pathways.
NO doubt, INJURIES are associated with MOLECULAR ERRORS. There cannot be an injury without any molecular error.
Regarding MENTAL or EMOTIONAL injury, they are molecular level errors produced by various ENDOGENOUS neurochemicals released in excess into the brain, by the action of various PHYSICAL influences such as auditory, tactile, visual, or olfactory stimuli.
There is a palpable buzz around superfoods all over the world. One day quinoa is being hailed as the star among foods and the next day everyone is falling head over heels over the benefits of kuttu (buckwheat).
One wonders what makes certain foods qualify for the ‘superfood’ label. One, they need to be loaded with vital nutrients and vitamins. Second, they need to help in treating or lowering the risk of certain diseases? Let us explore a bit more.
What most of us do not realize is that a lot of superfoods have been around for centuries and our grandparents and ancestors have long been consuming them for their health benefits. It is only now that they have been re-discovered and are hitting the headlines. At the same time, a lot of exotic superfoods are being introduced, which are difficult to source and generally rather expensive.
The food industry wants to persuade us that eating some foods can slow down the ageing process, lift depression, boost our physical ability, and even our intelligence. Had that been the case, mother nature would have created only those foods and not so many kinds of foods, with different nutritive values.
The problem with some of the superfoods being aggressively marketed is that they are exotic in nature. So, unless you have the local or native super foods, not only would they be difficult to source but would also make a huge dent into the pocket. So, one would have something like kale only occasionally. Healthy, yes, but would one consume it every day? Probably not!
We over here prefer to talk about ‘Super Diets’ and like to avoid the use of the term ‘superfoods’. The emphasis is on a healthy, balanced diet, rich in fruits, vegetables and wholegrain foods, which are all easy to source.
So, what should be our strategy to a super diet?
- Eating foods and vegetables that are in season. Seasonal fruits and vegetables provide maximum health benefits and nutritional requirement for that time of the year. For example, bottle gourd (ghiya or doodhi) is a summer vegetable and is widely recommended for weight loss, managing high cholesterol and hypertension. But one must remember that since it is rich in water content (96 gm per 100 gm), it’s consumption during winters will not be as beneficial for our body. This is because it helps to reduce our body heat whereas in winters we want to trap the body heat to maintain our body temperature.
- Going local and consuming foods that are native to our region. Let’s make the best of what is available locally. Our humble jamun available during summers, is very high in Vitamin C content and works as an immunity booster. But, the trend is growing towards consumption of imported, dried cranberries which also give the same nutrition, but at a much higher cost. What we forget is that since jamun is a native fruit, our body is inherently adapted to digesting it better and getting the maximum benefit from it.
- Adopting unprocessed foods from all major food categories. As far as possible, we should banish processed and packaged foods from our shopping basket. For example, readymade breakfast cereals like wheat flakes have added preservatives, hidden sugars and are processed (extrusion method) such that when compared to the old, whole grain wheat dalia, they have far lower nutritional value.
- Focusing on getting our five portions of fruits and vegetables in a day. Eating a variety of foods ensures we get a wide variety of the nutrients our body needs. Fruits and vegetables have differed colours to indicate a different set of vitamins and minerals. So, include as many colours as you can in a day for a super-diet.
- Adjusting our diet based on our needs, ability to digest and medical conditions. For example, soya and its products are a blessing for adding proteins to a vegetarian diet, but if consumed by people with thyroid problem, it can interfere with proper absorption of medicine by the body.
Remember, there are no miracle foods and consuming a certain food is not going to undo the damage caused by unmindful eating. Any food when eaten at the right time and in the right combination shall keep us in good health. A balanced super diet far outweighs any super food in terms of the wholesome nutrition it provides our body. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
It is often believed that eggs tend to heat up your stomach and, hence, should be avoided as much as possible. People believe that eating eggs during the hot summer months can lead to detrimental health effects. One of the reasons attributed to this belief is that eggs contain copious amounts of cholesterol, which can generate tremendous amounts of body heat.
However, contrary to popular belief, eggs do not heat up your system and perfectly safe for consumption during the season of some summer.
Having eggs for breakfast helps you with the following:
1. Cholesterol Factor - To be precise, a single egg provides 212 mg of cholesterol out of the recommended 300 mg. However, cholesterol in your diet does not raise the cholesterol levels in your blood. This happens because the liver produces a high quantity of cholesterol each day, and when you eat more eggs causing your cholesterol levels to rise, the liver starts producing less of it. In fact, a study found that eggs didn't raise cholesterol in 70% of its test subjects.
2. Provides Choline - Choline is a substance, which is required by the body to build cell membranes and to perform a horde of other functions like liver function, brain development, nerve, and muscle function. Lack of choline could lead to disruption of these functions. Whole eggs contain more than 100 mg of this less known nutrient, and therefore, should be a part of your diet.
3. Contains Lutein and Zeaxanthin - One of the gradual symptoms of aging is worsening eyesight. There are many types of nutrients that help in countering this degenerative process. Two such nutrients are lutein and zeaxanthin, which eggs are rich in. These two antioxidants help to build up the retina of the eye. Moreover, they also help in preventing eyesight conditions like cataracts and macular degeneration. Eggs are also rich in Vitamin A, the lack of which is the most common cause of blindness worldwide.
4. Reduce Risk of Stroke - For many decades, eggs have been unfairly criticized. A popular misbelief was that high cholesterol in eggs made them a cause for cardiac problems. In a review, which accounted for 17 studies and a total of 263,938 participants, no associations were found between eggs and heart diseases. Eggs are also highly filling and help to lose weight to a certain extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Hello Dr. I am pure veg. Not even egg I am eating. So I want to know veg sources for weight and muscle gainer. And which whey protein I have to take. Suggest me name. And preworkout and post workout routine in details tell me. I am very thin so I want to increase my chest and arms. Suggest me all if this above query.
Meri sister ki Age 27 he agar USA wajan sirf 29 kg uska wajan bhadana he air wah bachpan se He bhut patli hai.
I got married 2 years ago. My husband is very lazy and feels tired soon if we roam outside. He drinks soft drinks a lot. And also he drinks alcohol little daily and heavy on weekends. He eats junk food like chips, mixture and oily food a lot too. Whenever he's at home daytime he always sleeps. He do not like going out somewhere far as he gets tired soon and is very lazy. He will not agree to go for any health checkups too. Does my husband suffering from any health problem. Please advise.
Dear doctors, I am 29 years old, I am getting heavy urine smell, when I pass the same. In the mean time am getting white discharge past 1 year, went doctor place took the scan also but they says normal only, kindly advised what foods & medicine will take care. I am only 46 kg only, I want increase my weight. Please help me.
Basic conditions to be healthy are found to be three components they are:
1. Normal weight,
2. Exercise daily,
3. Proper nutrition.
Supposing you were told that you need to keep lugging a really awkward cargo weight from 8 kg to 20 kg, regardless of whether you walk, sit, eat or sleep. You're probably terribly would surely, isn't it? but that's exactly what you're doing in the excessive weight! you wear the unhealthy flab. You're overloading all organs, especially the heart and blood system.
Overweight is dangerous! he depletes the heart. Insurance statistics show that the last thing live fat people. Every pounds overweight shortens your life. That's why condition no. 1 for healthy hearts are normal weight!
It is possible to achieve optimum weight naturally and in continuing to support him all the time. The use of drugs from obesity even more dangerous than the mere obesity!
Condition no. 2 for a healthy heart is a rigorous exercise routine. The exercise will not only help to maintain normal weight, but will also stimulate healthy blood flow, improve muscle tone and bodies would enhance the functioning of all organs of the body.
What is most important is the condition no. 3-proper nutrition! a healthy heart and healthy body are created a clean and healthy blood, and clean, healthy blood is the food that you eat. Food is the most important factor in the regulation of weights, nutrition blood and through it the whole body nutritional, protects the heart from a deadly cholesterol and strengthens it, turning into a powerful source-life eternal youth.
मधुमेह के प्रारंभिक लक्षण, विशेष रूप से टाइप 2 मधुमेह, सूक्ष्म या हानिरहित हो सकते हैं। वास्तव में, कुछ लोगों को पता नहीं चलता कि उन्हे मधुमेह है, जब तक उन्हें रोग की वजह से दीर्घकालिक क्षति से समस्याएं न हों। टाइप 1 मधुमेह के लक्षण आमतौर पर दिनों या कुछ हफ्तों के मामले में जल्दी से देखा जाता है। वे बहुत अधिक गंभीर भी हैं।
डायबिटीज़ के लक्षण
आप कैसे बता सकते हैं कि आपको मधुमेह है? पता करने का सबसे अच्छा तरीका रक्त परीक्षण है। लेकिन यदि आप निम्न मधुमेह के लक्षणों में से किसी का सामना कर रहे हैं, तो अपने डॉक्टर से मिलें:
1. लगातार पेशाब आना:
जब आपको मधुमेह होता है, तो आपका शरीर चीनी में भोजन को तोड़ने में कम कुशल होता है। आम तौर पर आपका शरीर ग्लूकोज को पुनः अवशोषित करता है जब यह आपके गुर्दे से गुजरता है। किन जब आपको मधुमेह होता है, तो अतिरिक्त शुगर (ग्लूकोज) आपके खून में बढ़ जाता है। आपके गुर्दे को अतिरिक्त चीनी को फिल्टर और अवशोषित करने के लिए अतिरिक्त काम करने के लिए मजबूर किया जाता है। अतिरिक्त चीनी जो कि आपके गुर्दे अवशोषित नहीं कर सकते, आपके मूत्र में उत्सर्जित होते हैं। यह आपको अधिक पेशाब करने का कारण बनता है, खासकर रात में।
2. अधिक प्यास:
जैसा कि ऊपर बताया गया है, जब आपको मधुमेह होता है, तो आपकी गुर्दे को अतिरिक्त चीनी अवशोषित करना पड़ता है। जिसके लिए बहुत सारे तरल पदार्थ की आवश्यकता होती है, इसलिए आपको अधिक प्यास लगती है।
3. वजन घटना:
जब आप अक्सर मूत्र के माध्यम से चीनी खो देते हैं, तो आप कैलोरी भी खो देते हैं। इसके अलावा, मधुमेह आपके भोजन से चीनी को आपके कोशिकाओं तक पहुंचने से रोक सकता है।
4. अतिरिक्त भूख लगना:
भूख की अत्यधिक पीड़ा, मधुमेह का एक और लक्षण, रक्त शर्करा के स्तर में तेज उतार-चढ़ाव से आ सकता है। जब रक्त में शर्करा का स्तर घटता है, तो शरीर यह सोचता है कि इसे खिलाया नहीं गया है और अधिक ग्लूकोज की आवश्यकता होती है, जो कोशिकाओं को कार्य करने के लिये आवश्यकता होती है।
बेशक आप ज्यादातर समय थका हुआ महसूस करते हैं, क्योंकि जो भोजन आप ऊर्जा के लिए खा रहे हैं वह कोशिकाओं द्वारा प्रयोग नहीं किया जा रहा है। इसके अलावा, निर्जलीकरण भी आपके थकान को बढ़ाता है।
6. धुंधली दृष्टि:
विकृत दृष्टि और रोशनी की कभी-कभी चमक देखना, उच्च रक्त शर्करा के स्तर का प्रत्यक्ष परिणाम होता है। आपके शरीर में द्रव का स्तर बदलना आपकी आंखों में लेंस को सूजा सकता है। इसके अलावा, जब रक्त में ग्लूकोज उच्च होता है, यह लेंस और आंख के आकार में परिवर्तन करता है। यह सब, लेंस की अपनी क्षमता खोने का और ठीक से काम न करने का कारण बनता है।
7. कटौती और घावों का धीमी गति से उपचार:
कटौती, और घाव का जल्दी से ठीक न होना, मधुमेह का एक और उत्कृष्ट संकेत हैं। प्रतिरक्षा प्रणाली और प्रक्रियाएं जो शरीर को चंगा करने में मदद करती हैं, बहुत अच्छी तरह से काम नहीं करती हैं, जब आपके शर्करा का स्तर उच्च होता है।
8. खमीर संक्रमण:
चूंकि मधुमेह आपके शरीर की प्रतिरक्षा को नीचे लाती है; संक्रमण और रोग अधिक होने की संभावना है। खमीर का आहार ग्लूकोज है और शरीर में बहुत अधिक होने से यह कामयाब होने लगता है। संक्रमण किसी भी गर्म, त्वचा के नम गुच्छे में बढ़ सकता है, जिसमें शामिल हैं:
- उंगलियों और पैर की उंगलियों के बीच
- स्तनों के तहत
- सेक्स अंगों के आसपास
महिलाओं को, विशेष रूप से, योनि कैंडिडा संक्रमण से सावधान रहना चाहिए।
9. झुनझुनी की अनुभूति:
आपके रक्त में अतिरिक्त चीनी से तंत्रिका क्षति हो सकती है। आप अपने हाथों और पैरों में झुनझुनी और सनसनी की कमी महसूस कर सकते हैं, साथ ही साथ अपनी बाहों, हाथों, पैरों और पैरों में दर्द का दर्द देख सकते हैं। आप अपनी बाहों, हाथों और पैरों में जलता दर्द भी महसूस कर सकते हैं।
10. शुष्क मुँह और खुजली वाली त्वचा:
मधुमेह रोगाणुओं से लड़ने की आपकी क्षमता को कमजोर कर सकता है, जिससे आपके मसूड़ों में संक्रमण का खतरा बढ़ जाता है। आपके मसूड़ों को अपने दांतों से दूर खींच सकते हैं, आपके दाँत ढीले हो सकते हैं, या आपके मसूड़ों में घाव या मवाद विकसित कर सकते हैं। इसके अलावा, निर्जलीकरण के कारण शुष्क मुंह और खुजली वाली त्वचा सकती है।
Breakfast: The most important meal of the day; never skip your breakfast
Since childhood train your child to eat a balanced and nutritious breakfast.
Do not let your kid go to school with just milk.
Every individual irrespective of age and gender must be calculative of a complete n balanced meals throughout the day.
What are best way to control diabetic if the sugar level is at 210 with fast & After fasting 300 mcg, What remedies should be taken.
I am 42 years my height 5 ft 10 inches my weight is 80 kg I had enlarge liver and lumbar spondlysis I ride bike very much say 25-30 kms every day from last 15-20 days every one is saying that my both hands and legs are getting thinner day by day and I also feel very weakness during when I go for swimming last year I used to do 100-150mtrs swimming with out any halt but now max 25-30 meters I can do my breath became very fast what happen I do not know I want to do check up of full body if required I can admit for a day pls sugest me a doctor and nursing home in kolkata.
I am diabetic patient 34 years male, im having burning sensation on both foot when I will wear shoe, my sugar levels are controlled, fbs-110, ppbs-140-150 mg/dl. please give me solution, any home remedies to control sugar levels.
I'm taking gardasil vaccine .I took second dosage in December then they told me to come for vaccine in June now they are asking me to come in may. Which one is correct is it 6 months gap that is which should be there?
Human beings are designed to relish contact and interaction with one another. After all, it is what makes us different from quite a few members of the animal kingdom. Having said that, sometimes, separation between people is a fact of life and it does have an impact on the lives of the people who get separated.
One of the interesting things about separation is when it occurs between couples is not only a feeling of sadness, but also a feeling of insecurity. It is to be kept in mind that the entire process of adjusting is not only one that is to be gone through by the couple, but also by their children. While it can prompt children to become independent and not overly reliant on their parents’ love, separation can also lead to a deficit or inadequate love being provided to them in the years that they are in the greatest need of it. This is quite an unfortunate aspect of separation.
There are a range of feelings which a person is likely to feel when separation occurs and there is a lot to be done by the way of working through these emotions. The mix can include resentment, disappointment, as well as a longing for the partner, even for quite some time after the divorce has taken place. In a number of cases, the most tormenting phase of separation is the time leading up to separation and the few days following it. Facing legal challenges, letting friends and family know about their decision and undergoing the entire role change leaves the couple as well as their children fatigued.
It may be ironic, but the fact of the matter remains that a person is not always rational after a divorce. Whimsically, it can be said that a separation of a marital bond does often affect the person’s ability of separation of rationality from irrationality!
While life as a single mother is quite tough, it is intriguing that women are the ones who initiate divorce twice as often as men do! After a divorce takes place, women are the custodians of the children they had in 90% of the cases; so it is true that women do have a high level of concern for their children. Often people in a separation emotionally act the same way children do when separated from their parents.
The body produces a number of chemicals called hormones which are essential for the regulation of various functions including growth and metabolism. These hormones are produced by endocrine glands which are located in various parts of the body. One such important gland is the pituitary gland which produces the important growth hormone. This is essential for regulating optimal growth during the growing years and for maintaining proper amounts of body fat, muscles, and bones in the later years of life.
Causes: Deficiency of the growth hormones can occur due to a number of causes, some of which are listed below. It can be congenital (present at birth) or acquired later in life.
The congenital issue could be due to problem in the pituitary gland structure, leading to complete absence or reduced secretion of the hormone.
With age, there is a decrease in the amount of secretion. However, infections, injuries, brain tumors, surgery and radiation can also lead to altered amounts of secretion.
Symptoms: While growth hormone deficiency can occur at any age, symptoms differ depending on the age when the deficiency sets in.
In the early ages:
- Lower rate of growth for a given age
- Delayed developmental milestones
- Delayed onset of puberty
- Short stature/reduced height
- Younger looking compared to other children their age
- Fat deposition around the waist
- Delayed dental development
When the deficiency sets in during the later years, there is
- Low energy levels, constant tiredness
- Decreased strength
- Decreased exercise tolerance
- Decreased overall muscle mass
- Thin and dry skin
- Increased fat deposition and weight gain around the waist
- Changes in social behavior including alternate cycles of anxiety and depression
- Lack of motivation
- History of pituitary tumors
- High levels of fat and cholesterol
The diagnosis depends on the age of the person
- Blood tests are carried out to check the hormone levels in circulation
- In children, in addition to the hormone levels, x-rays to see the status of growth plates is very helpful.
- An insulin hypoglycemia test where insulin is given intravenously to see the levels of the growth hormone after 30 minutes.
- Total cholesterol levels, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, apolipoprotein B, and triglyceride levels can be used to supplement the above tests.
- CT scan and/or MRI of the brain may be needed if tumors are suspected.
Treatment: Once diagnosed, replacement therapy is given as shots a few times a week under the skin. This restores normal growth and helps in controlling the symptoms in adults too.
In cases of tumor, radiation or surgery may be required, but most cases are managed with hormone replacement.
Watch out for the symptoms if your child has delayed developmental milestones and early intervention can help restore growth and function to normal levels.
Depending on various factors like time, quantity, age, sex, purpose, physical condition and health issues of the drinker, alcohol consumption can be harmless or can turn poisonous. While moderate and wise consumption can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, be good for circulatory system and may also prevent type2 diabetes and gallstones, heavy drinking and alcohol abuse may increase the risk of high blood pressure, liver disease (cirrhosis), pancreatitis, heart muscle damage (leading to heart failure) and even certain cancers.
To be a responsible drinker, the most vital point to be aware of is the right and the healthy time to have a drink, besides knowing how to control and prevent heavy drinking.
Times when cons outweigh the pros
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy, after being diagnosed with liver or pancreatic diseases, while taking medications or over-the-counter medications that can interact with alcohol, despite having a history of a haemorrhagic stroke are some of the times and situations when it should be avoided at any cost.
The right times:
Full stomach: If you wish to grab a drink, it is sensible and proper to have it after a full and hearty meal. The richer the pre-meal is with proteins, healthy fat, starch and other macronutrients, the more it will help slow down the rate at which alcohol gets absorbed into the bloodstream, thereby reducing the severity of nausea, dizziness, headaches and other alcohol-induced sicknesses. Eggs, fibre-rich cereals, nuts and salmons – source of vitamin B components, protein-rich chicken are some of the pre-game food items and delicacies that can greatly trim alcohol effects and hangover heaviness at the same time. Refined carbohydrates like chips and cookies don't slow down or prevent the effects of alcohol due to the fact that they can be digested comparatively quickly. Medical help regarding pre-alcohol meal should be sought in case of any health issues.
Hydrated body: Alcohol decreases the number of anti-diuretic hormones produced by our body, which helps us to stay hydrated. As a result, our body loses precious fluids fast and gets dehydrated at a faster pace. On top of that, increased urination and vomiting (if occurs) brought about by drinking further causes dehydration. Some of the signs of dehydration can be a dry and sticky mouth, decreased urination and headache. So it is really important to swallow a glass or two of water before so that you can start drinking with your body already hydrated with necessary fluid. In this context, it is also necessary to keep your body hydrated throughout. Maintaining a healthy alcoholic to non-alcoholic beverages ratio during the consumption process is always the best idea.
Sufficient sleep: Alcoholic drinks can interfere with our sleep. It disrupts the Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep and accelerates our metabolism. Hence our body becomes more alert than general and sleeping becomes difficult. It is advisable to avoid alcohol, if you had slept poorly the previous night and looking forward to a good night’s sleep.
In India, especially the urban centers, obesity or even being overweight is becoming a new epidemic. The increases in consumption of fast foods, sedentary lifestyles and stress have increased the incidence of this problem. This has in turn, led to an exponential increase in the cases of diabetes, heart diseases and blood pressure among a host of other problems.
The Ayurvedic approach
Ayurveda is a discipline, which has been practiced over many millennia and contains the collective wisdom to effectively treat problems of obesity or being overweight without side effects. According to Ayurveda, the body is made up of 7 elements or Dhatus:
- Rasa (Lymph)
- Rakta (Blood)
- Maans (Muscle)
- Meda (Fat)
- Asthi (Bones)
- Majja (Nervous system)
- Shukra (Reproductive System)
However, if you are overweight then it means that due to an imbalance of the ‘Kapha’ dosha, you are accumulating more ‘meda’ or fat. Ayurveda has some very effective actions to prescribe through which you can lose weight very effectively. Some of these tips are mentioned below.
- Drink a mixture of lemon, honey and water first thing in the morning: Drinking a mix of lemon, honey and water helps to jump start your metabolism and boost your digestive system. Drinking this regularly over a period of a few months and would help reduce your weight very quickly.
- Meditate for at least 10 minutes a day: This is a very important step as meditation helps relax your mind, muscles and nerves and reduces stress. This enables you to take better decisions throughout the day. It also controls your appetite thus stopping you form binge eating. Meditation and relaxation have also been shown to contribute to weight loss by keeping the metabolism regulated.
- Do at least 30 minutes of exercise: It is important that you do at least 30 minutes of exercise daily as it would regulate your metabolism and help you to keep burning fat throughout the day. Incorporating light yoga along with a brisk walk is possibly the best way to safely and easily lose weight. Some of the easiest poses to lose weight would be
- Dhanurasana or Bow pose
- Setubandhasana or Bridge pose
- Bhujangasana or Cobra pose
- Vakrasana or Half spinal Twist pose among many others
- Consider your diet according to season: According to Ayurveda, you should be careful about what you eat during the various seasons as this will ensure maximum nutrient absorption without the deposition of fat.
- Eat three meals a day, not more: According to Ayurveda, you should have three meals a day without any snacks in between. Have a heavy breakfast as that tends to set the tone for the day, followed by a comparatively light lunch and an even lighter dinner. This is because your digestive system functions most effectively in the morning, fairly fast at noon, but it is the most sluggish at night.
- Go to bed early and rise early: This is often propagated as disturbances in the Circadian rhythm or the natural sleep and waking cycles are a big contributor to weight gain. Once this is properly regulated, it could result in weight loss because of your body metabolism being properly regulated.