The DHEAS or androgen hormone that comes from the adrenal gland of teenaged girls, usually triggers extra activity of the oil glands and sebum that is present in the face. This is what gives rise to acne during menstrual cycles of periods. The symptoms include the eruption of pimples and sores that can be mild to painful in nature.
HOW IS ACNE IN PERIODS DIAGNOSED?
This condition is usually diagnosed by a dermatologist who detects the play of hormonal changes to find out the cause behind this skin ailment. They may carry out a physical examination of the oil filled sores known as pimples, on the surface of the skin.
HOW IS ACNE IN PERIODS TREATED?
Though a dermatologist might treat the acne topically through creams and ointments; menstrual acne can be treated by a gynecologist/obstetrician or an endocrinologist. After looking at the case history, the doctor may formulate a combination treatment which involves medication to lower testosterone levels or birth control pills. Overweight women may also be asked to lose some weight in order to treat menstrual acne.
DID YOU KNOW?
63% of acne-prone women have to deal with Menstrual acne. Practicing good skin hygiene such as not touching the face, avoiding smoking, placing a towel on the mats in a gym and others help reduce menstrual acne incidences.
There are hormonal changes and fluctuations that take place during a women’s cycle leading to acne causes. These imbalances are the reason for hormonal acne. The normal cycle of the average woman usually is one month long with the peak estrogen levels being about 14 days after the period is complete. For most women a drop in estrogen levels decrease the progesterone level. Progesterone causes excessive production in the sebaceous glands which forms sebum inevitably leading to hormonal acne. This along with dead skin cells causes the hormonal acne characterized by back acne, chin acne and cystic acne on chin, the skin is the largest organ in the human bodies and, therefore, can face a huge impact when it goes through a lot of stress. This is visible in the form of hormonal acne. Acne causes are many and hormonal acne usually strikes between days 22-28 of the menstruation cycle. This is an indicator that estrogen has dropped and back acne, chin acne and cystic acne on skin are about to form Acne causes are varied from diet to lifestyle but following are some of the preventive measures for hormonal and any sort of acne like back acne, chin acne and cystic acne on chin:
• Checking progesterone levels is a must to find out the reason for what causes acne at a particular time each month. Low estrogen levels are a reason for hormonal acne especially acne on face.
• Excessive dehydration is another contributing factor for hormonal acne and occurrence of back acne, chin acne and cystic acne on chin. Acne causes due to dehydration and is a well-researched fact.
• Stress leads to excess hormone secretion which is what causes acne. Hormonal acne also develops during stressful time regardless of the menstrual cycle. Deep cystic acne on chin and other forms such as back acne and chin acne in general the body’s way of fighting stress. The root acne causes such as these must be treated to prevent outbreak of hormonal acne.
• Acne causes due to a sedentary lifestyle often. Hence eating healthy and exercising regularly causes hormonal acne to stay far away. Acne on face is also mapped due to a weak digestive system hence hormonal acne gets reduced to a great extent by eating clean.
• Regular healthy bowel movements also prevent hormonal acne and other ailments. It is vital to discharge the undigested food material and thus keep the body clean. Acne causes mostly project the overall health of the body.
• Yoga and pranayama helps to fight acne and wrinkles at bay. Acne and wrinkles are a common problem for women. It helps not only fight hormonal acne but also treats what causes acne at a deeper level. It helps to deliver more oxygen to the body and ward off hormonal acne and other acne causes such as stress.
• Regular exfoliation is vital for prevention of acne causes. As mentioned earlier what causes acne is accumulation of bacteria. So it is imperative to clean skin in order to treat acne causes and hormonal acne.
Lybrate offers you the best dermatologist available in Chandigarh, Delhi, Faridabad, Ghaziabad and Gurgaon to provide the best consultation and treatment. Subscribe to Lybrate to know more about autism.
Consult top doctors for Acne in Periods online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Ashram Road, Athani Main Road, Baratgi Road, BLDEA Road, Darga Road, Gacchhinkatti Colony and in any other locality in Bijapur for Acne in Periods.