Itching, also known as pruritus, is an uncontrollable sensation that makes you want to scratch all over the body to seek relief. While Itching can be caused throughout the body or localized to one small spot, it is important to seek medical help before itching increases. Itching can be caused by many conditions such as stress, anxiety, dry skin, and some of the common symptoms of Itching include dry skin, bumps on the skin, blisters, cracked skin, and skin redness, among others.
HOW IS ITCHING DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of the itching problem would depend on the kind of itching you have. A general physician could do a physical exam and also run some skin tests or allergy tests.
HOW IS ITCHING TREATED?
Itching can be easily treated at home and doesn't always indicate a serious problem. The doctor usually recommends using a good moisturizer, ointment and cream, and sometimes, in a severe case of Itching, the doctor may prescribe medicines to quickly reduce the effect of Itching.
DID YOU KNOW?
Excessive itching may leave marks on the skin which may be stubborn to disappear. They may look unpleasant on the skin. Some of them may go away in sometime however some may require dermatological treatments to make them vanish eg laser therapy, dermatological lotions. etc
Pruritus is the generic name for itching, a sensation which is highly uncomfortable and compels you to scratch yourself. The itching sensation can be generalized or localized. Generalized itching affects the entire body, while localized itching affects only a part of the body. Skin rashes can also cause itching.
You may suffer from body itching due to a number of reasons like-
• Various skin conditions like Eczema
• Many a time allergies and skin rashes like hives can also cause itching
• Parasite infestation, like scabies
• Itchy insect bites and stings, like mosquito or ant bites and bee stings
• Fungal infections like athlete's foot or even vaginal thrush
• Hormonal imbalance due to pregnancy or menopause
• Systemic condition, like problem with the thyroid, or kidney problems
If you scratch itchy skin it can lead to swelling and skin rupture, which may result in infections and bleeding. Thus, if you experience itching in body be sure to keep in mind the following tips-
• Do not scratch yourself hard, this will only worsen the affected area. Gently tap or rub your skin for instant relief.
• Numb the itchy skin area with a cold compress. This will effectively help you deal with the discomfort.
• take a shower, either with warm or cool water
• Ensure you do not wear any material that will irritate your skin. For example wool. Instead wear cotton or muslin which are very light on the body.
• If you experience localized itching, apply basil leaves on the area. This is because basil contains camphor and thymol, two anti-itch compounds that will offer instant relief.
• Moisturize your skin regularly to prevent any dryness and skin itching
Apart from the above natural means of dealing with body itching, you can also use over the counter antihistamines and steroid creams.
Two of the most common allergies which cause skin itching or eczema and hives. Eczema is known as atopic dermatitis in medical terms. This chronic condition generally begins from childhood with localized itching that starts because of food allergies.
Urticaria is the medical term for hives, which are basically reddish swollen rashes on the skin. The onset of hives is generally triggered by food or drug allergies and even insect bites. These skin rashes are generally very itchy and cause great discomfort.
If you face persistent itching for a long period of time, be sure to visit a doctor as soon as possible. This is because constant itching is a sign that there is something wrong with the body. Your doctor will initially ask you to get a blood test done. Once the cause of the itching is diagnosed he will advise relevant treatment.
Lybrate gives you an excellent chance to get in touch with top dermatologists and get their opinion on various issue related to skin itching and skin rashes. Through Lybrate you can consult the best doctors all across India. Find the top dermatologists and general physicians in Mohali, Nagpur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Noida etc. Lybrate.com also offers an effective online solution to your medical problems. Just subscribe to Lybrate.com, and get helpful tips on how to deal with eczema and hives.
Consult top doctors for Itching online with ease at Lybrate.com. You can call doctor online and view their reviews. Book appointments online as well. Lybrate is best source of top doctors in Rajiv Colony, Sector-13 and in any other locality in Bhiwani for Itching.