Find numerous Dentists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dentists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. Uma ShankarYour feedback matters!
I am 25 year old and I have cavities in my teeth. And I dnt want to pull out my teeth. Please suggest me any medicine or paste to protect my teeth.
After brushing also from my mouth some bad smell is coming. What is the problem? how I can avoid this?
My son is 4 and half year old. He was eating chocolate for 2 year. His upper teeth got drink till jow Now we have stopped chocolate but there is little black in lower teeth. Now what to do Please reply.
My cousin have mouth breathsmell problem. I thnk he have pyrea problem in his teeth. sometimes he also having blood. Kindly suggest sm toothpaste or medicine.
I visited my dentist for straightening of my 26 years old sister' front teeth. He advised me for pre molar teeth extraction and told that it may take 2 years in complete treatment. Before that he is going to start pyorrhea treatment. I want to know has my dentist advised me right? how pyorrhea is treated? is this a surgical treatment? how much it costs? is teeth extraction 100 % safe or there is any risk? will after teeth extraction my sister smile/eat like normal?
My teeth is yellow. Even I brush 2 times and cleaning of teeth in 6 months but again yellowish. Suggest.
I have teeth are yellow. Mainly the junctions have very much black to yellow. Suggest me how can I get rid of them without cleaning teeth by going to a dentist.
Hi Doctor, My mother is suffering from toothache, and could resist the pain, please suggest good tablets which cures her tooth ache.
I have severe tooth pain in upper molar region. My whole right side has severe pain upto the neck region. What drugs should I take?
The gums are also called the periodontium which means perio for around and dontium for tooth as the gums are literally present "around the tooth." There is a softer mucosal portion that runs along the tooth in a curved manner and a stronger fibrous portion that connects the tooth to the jaw bone. Together, they provide the structural support for the tooth to be held in place. In addition they also have an aesthetic value with the healthy pink color.
The mouth has the largest number of bacteria in the body, which act on the food debris that is present on the tooth and the gums. This causes infection in both the gums and the tooth.
Types: Periodontal disease can be localized or general.
- Localized disease happens when a tooth is not accessible for thorough cleaning. The inside surface of lower incisors and outer surfaces of the upper last molars are common areas of localized periodontal disease.
- Generalized periodontal disease can be due to conditions like pregnancy, puberty, diabetes problem where gums around all the teeth are affected.
Symptoms: In both the cases, the following symptoms ensue:
- The gums are of a healthy pink color and if they turn darker hue of pink
- Swollen and/or painful gums
- Spontaneous bleeding: This may be localized or generalized
- Chronic bad breath: Due to food accumulation in the infected gums
- If it continues to form an abscess, pressure on the gums can produce pus
- Bad taste in the mouth (arising from pus in the gums)
- Gingival recession, producing an effect of having longer tooth
- Dentin is exposed leading sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Loosening of the tooth
- Painful chewing, as it puts pressure on the inflamed periodontium
- Dentist will identify what are called pockets, which is an indication of severity - the deeper the pockets, the severe the disease.
Management and Prevention: Gum disease is very easy to identify and can be completely cured.
- Regular brushing and flossing can help maintain regular oral hygiene
- With each brushing session, plain finger massage of the gums improves blood circulation and their overall health
- Regular use of mouth rinse is a good way to improve gum health
- Regular visits to the dentist can help keep a check on the health of the teeth and the gums - early identification of disease and early treatment
- Once it has set in, deep scaling followed by root planing may be required to thoroughly clear out the infection
- More surgical options like gingival grafts, flap surgery, bone grafting in case of severe bone loss may be required.
- Management of conditions like diabetes
The best way to avoid periodontal disease is to know its symptoms, follow oral hygiene practices, and consult a dentist regularly.