Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Cardiologists in India. You will find Cardiologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Cardiologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Balloon Angioplasty Procedure
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Holistic Heart Wellness & Health Care - Ayurveda
Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Treatment of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart Att
Cardiac Ablation Procedure
Coronary Bypass Surgery
Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting Procedure
Cardiac Catheterization Procedure
Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators (Icds) Tre
Angioplasty Stent Surgery
Preventing Stent Surgeries
Submit a review for Dr. Srikanth RaghavaYour feedback matters!
I am currently taking rosavasan for cholesterol. Triglycerides-356, HDL-34, TC/HDL RATIO-5.53. My blood sugar fasting-153, post-279, SGPT-92.4, AST-34.8" Please advise.
I am unable to breathe for the past 2 months. Heavy chest and no deep breathe. I smoke 6-10 cigarettes everyday. Please suggest what should I do.
For a long time cholesterol in totality was seen as a bad thing for your body although the truth was a little more complicated than that. Cholesterol primarily is divided into two types, one of which can be categorized as bad cholesterol and the other as good cholesterol. Let's have an in-depth look at both the categories.
LDL or Low Density Lipoprotein aka bad cholesterol - Cholesterol is a wax like chemical which is found all over the body and it has important functions to perform. Cholesterol is carried all over the body by Lipoproteins. The low density lipoproteins are denoted as bad cholesterol as they can accumulate on the walls of the blood vessels and cause blockages resulting in many ailments. LDL levels of 190 and above are considered dangerous.
Some of the risks associated with it are:
HDL or High Density Lipoprotein aka good cholesterol - This is a form of cholesterol which is usually desired in higher quantities as it removes LDL from the system by dislodging it from the arteries and then carrying it through the blood stream into the liver. The liver then breaks it down and removes it from the body. Thus, higher number of HDL cholesterol is always desirable.
Some of the ideal numbers for HDL cholesterol within the body are:
- Women - Ideal: 60 mg/dl, dangerous: 50 mg/dl or lower
- Men - Ideal: 60 mg/dl, dangerous: 50 mg/dl lower
The role of triglycerides
Good and bad cholesterol levels also depend on the levels of triglycerides within the body and not just LDL or HDL cholesterol. Triglycerides are another type of fat which are used to store energy within the body but can also affect your health. It is most associated with atherosclerosis when the levels of triglycerides are high within the body.
Some habits that contribute to high levels of it are
- Lack of physical activity
- Obesity or being overweight
- Excesses in alcohol consumption
- Bad diet and others
Thus, the good cholesterol versus bad cholesterol war also includes other factors, most of which can be easily changed by making subtle changes in life style and incorporating healthier habits. This will increase the good cholesterol and the other relevant elements and reduce the bad. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
There is acute pain in chest while breathing heavily. What should I do? What could be the symptoms of being a heart patient?
I am 20 years old. I am having little pain in left side of chest. It pains when I touch that area. What is the reason behind it?
- A proper diet is very essential to ensure heart health.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Vegetable soups and salads are a good way to include vegetables in your diet. When you feel the urge to snack, choose a piece of fruit or sticks of broccoli, radish, and carrots. A dessert of stewed fruits is also delicious but nutritious. Add chopped fruits in your yogurt.
- Cut down on fats. Saturated fats are the enemies of the heart. Stay away from fried stuff, especially deep fried foods. Switch to fat-free or fewer fats methods. Bake, roast, grill, boil, steam or poach.
- Use a non-stick pan for frying and use a healthy oil like olive oil. If the food is too dry, add moisture by adding a little fresh lemon juice which will also help to enhance the flavor.
- Change over to low fat foods. Switch over to skimmed milk instead of whole milk. Go for low-fat yogurts, cheeses, and spreads.
- Avoid red meat which has a higher fat content. Switch to skinless chicken. Fish is rich in omega 3 fatty acids which are good fat. Try and include fish in your diet, once or twice a week.
- Include plenty of fiber in your diet. Fiber helps in reducing cholesterol.
- Reduce your consumption of sugar. Cakes, cookies and candies which contain too many calories lead to obesity. This increases your chances of heart disease.
- Cut down your consumption of alcohol.