Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Sowmya KrishnaYour feedback matters!
Hello doctor, can you suggest me which is the best tooth paste can be used to avoid all types of teeth diseases. Thanks.
I use to have pan regularly until two days before and stopped as my gums started aching, please suggest a remedy to cure them.
His mouth smell sometimes when he ate chicken what's the matter I am not getting please can you help me to sort my problem.
Hello. I am 19 Years Old Boy. Actually I Have Suffered From Wisdom Teeth Pain 15 Days Ago. Then, I Got Mouth Ulcers.
Madam/sir I have never had an oral health problem before and I do brush only once a day! but now I bear a foul smell in my mouth even after brushing twice a day! please help!
My teethes are not strong. Have extracted many. Painful while biting. Got only 5 on the upper jaw. How to protect the remaining teethes.
I am suffering from gum problem. When I drink cold water the gum fatten up in large size. Please say what to do.
I am smoking for the past 30 years. The saliva in the mouth is of bad smell and taste. occasional pain the gum. What to do?
White patches on teeth are formed due to many reasons. There are many factors contributing to this. The appearance of the white patches is just like tiny white patches or spots randomly here and there on the teeth. They look odd and may give an impression of poor health and hygiene.
The causes of white patches on the teeth
White patches are formed on the teeth for the following common reasons:
- If the teeth are ill formed during development and more calcium is released than required during the development stages, then the excess calcium gets deposited on the teeth as the white patches. You may see them as spots which many be light in color or flashy white.
- Fluorosis is another common factor, which causes the white patches. This occurs in childhood. During the developing years, if the child's teeth get an excess supply of fluorides, then the white patches develop on the teeth.
- Mineral depletion is another cause for the white patches. This happens mostly for loss of calcium. If calcium is scarce, then the small white spots are developed on teeth, and the problem is referred to as hypocalcification.
- If you had been wearing braces for years, and didn't take care of teeth around the braces, then also white spots may develop when you take off the braces.
The various ways of treating the white spots
While the damage is done due to hypocalcification in developmental stages or due to excess fluorides in the developing years can't be reversed, but the appearance can definitely be taken care of. The management is done as follows:
- Tooth bleaching is an option. The bleach brings uniformity in the teeth color and therefore, conceals the discoloration.
- Air abrasion is another process where tiny crystal particles are blown towards the patches of calcium deposits, and this depletes the calcium. The removal of excess calcium brings a balance in teeth color.
- If there are dentures or gaps formed in the teeth after removal of calcium deposits, then a filling will be done to add to the portion to bring natural color balance and smoothness.
- Tooth capping and porcelain veneer can be added or crowned on tooth so that complete concealing is done of the white spots; this is done when in no other way the visible spots can be managed.
Prevention is better than cure and therefore, practicing dental hygiene and oral care is the best way to prevent the problem. Also a periodic dental checkup has to be done in every six months.