Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Geriatricians in India. You will find Geriatricians with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Geriatricians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Kiran PrYour feedback matters!
I am 19 year old male. I am suffering from cold for last 1-2months. I have taken insulins and steams but nothing happened. What should I do?
I am a diabetes patient. My PP is 410. I am suffering from cough and cold. Can anybody suggest a medicine for me.
I am 64 years male, leading a very active life. Cycling, walking, gym and golf are my regular activities. From last about 3 months, I am gaining some weight. About 2.5 kgs. Can not understand the reason, as nothing has changed in my life style. I will mention here that I drink regularly and even left drinking for 12 days about a month ago. But no difference in the weight. Please advice.
I have cough and cold problem since last 2 days and fever too. Please help me and suggest some home medicine which can help me.
What is the best diet for my 87 years old mother to keep her strong and alert? Weight :54 kgs, Ht: 5'1" No Cholesterol problem. Well controlled mild diabetes 1/2 Istamet (50/500) Amloz 5 mg thyronorm 25 since 15 yrs. Current diet: Breakfast: 1 egg, 100 ml tomato beetroot soup, Lunch, Dinner: 1/2 potato 1 Waati (100 ml) ground vegetable (any) each , Snack : Elchi-kela 2 x 3 times or mango, papaya when in season . Soup 2-3 times a day 1 slice toast 2 times a day with tea. Once a week chicken soup/ pureed. She needs strength , alertness . What would you recommend?
Influenza is more commonly known as the flu. It is an infection that affects the respiratory system and is caused by the influenza virus. This injection is recommended for kids who are under the age of 6 months. It ensures that the baby is safeguarded from the virus during an influenza outbreak. Since the nature of virus changes year on year, the immunity doesn’t last for more than 1 year. This vaccination is ideally taken during the month of October and November. The effect of the vaccination typically lasts for 6-8 months.
Ideally, kids who have never had a flu vaccination should take 2 vaccinations within 4 weeks. Kids who have received a shot of flu should undertake this vaccination once in a year. This arrangement is ideal up to 9 years of age. Flu shot is extremely important for a kid due to the following reasons:
- It saves a kid from chronic lung and heart disorders such as asthma and cystic fibrosis
- Kids suffering from immune deficiency, cancer, and HIV should take this vaccination to avoid further complication of the existing disease
- Kids suffering from diabetes, kidney diseases, and metabolic disorders should go for this vaccination without a second thought
- Kids suffering from a neurological disorder, haemoglobin deficiency, and anaemia should take this vaccination to refrain from the risk of aggravation of the present disease
- Pregnant women should ideally take it for the safeguarding the fetus
Flu shot should not be taken be taken if:
1. A baby is under the age of 6 months.
2. The baby has thimerosal allergy.
Is flu shot safe?
The flu shot is considered to be very safe. It does not result in flu. Few side effects include:
a. Soreness of the place where the needle is injected. This doesn’t last for more than a couple of day.
b. Body ache and mild fever for the first couple of days after the vaccination is done.
c. There is little to no pain in the place where the injection is injected by the doctor.
What is nasal flu vaccine?
This is an influenza dose that is not injected into the body, but given in the form of nasal spray. Healthy kids above the age of 2 years are fit to get this injection. For those kids who have a history of chronic illness should check with their doctor to go ahead with nasal spray. Each dose is given in each nostril. Like the influenza vaccine, nasal flu vaccine should be undertaken once for those who have already taken this dose once. Kids who have not undergone this vaccination are eligible for 2 dosages each 4 weeks apart from each other. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
I have a fever of temperature 99 to 100. This is a cold fever. I can fell it. Suggest me something about medicine and cough syuip.
Respected Dr., My daughter is 14 Years old. Suffering from nose blockage, running nose, & sneezing all through the year. It starts from early morning &generally stops after taking bath. Sometimes she takes CZ 3 and also take steam inhalation to get relief. She is suffering from this since childhood. Please advice.
I am 27 years old male, I am suffering from cold and cough from 4-5 years. I have visited ENT specialist, Chest specialist for treatment but no effect at all.
I am having cold and cough since long and due to which I have to pass sleepless night. What should I do? different medicines have been tried but of no use.
Influenza or seasonal flu is basically a viral infection. It is different from common flu that accounts for many conditions that occur due to changing weather. These conditions include cold, stomach problems and fever. Influenza or flu comes with a variety of symptoms and is primarily caused by a virus due to lack of precautions taken as far as food and outings go, during the changing seasons.
Let us find out more about the symptoms and treatment:
- Symptoms: The main symptoms of this condition include fever, an aching body, dullness, fatigue, dry hacking coughs, a sore throat and even headaches. Appetite loss and drowsiness are also some symptoms of the condition.
- Causes: Influenza is usually caused by either of the two influenza viruses, such as virus A or Virus B. The strains of these viruses are known to change every year.
- Congestion: The main form of treatment revolves around treating the congestion that may have occurred in the nasal or the sinus tracts. The treatment for this is usually done with the help of nasal decongestants or sprays which can be used for a few days to get relief until the infection and congestion leaves the body. One must avoid the use of these decongestants for prolonged periods of time as they can make the condition reoccur again and again.
- Allergies: Histamine is the chemical that the body produces automatically when an allergy hits. This is what causes influenza and hay fever as well. One can get treated with the help of anti-histamine drugs that will be prescribed for the doctor in case an allergic reaction or hay fever is detected. This drug can cause severe drowsiness, so it is best to take it at night and wake up fresh in the morning.
- Blood Pressure and Other Complications: It is important to know what kind of medication you are allergic to, before you ingest anything or take a spray. If you are suffering from high blood pressure or any other cardiovascular complications, then you may want to steer clear of decongestants as these sprays can increase the blood pressure as well as the heart rate of the patient.
- Cough: In order to cure a cough, one can take a cough medicine that will also have anti-histamines and analgesics, which will help in clearing the pollutants, dirt and allergens that have caused the cough.
- Fever: In case you are experiencing fever and body ache, you can take aspirin or acetaminophen. However, this should be avoided by children.
With the treatment, one should take ample precautions while stepping out the home. Also, the patient should be careful about the dosage to avoid an overdose. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.