Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. BharathYour feedback matters!
This is the most frequently asked question whenever we suggest teeth cleaning. Let me try and clear some misconceptions
Scaling and polishing is professional cleaning of ur teeth. We remove the plaque and tartar ( yellowish white , brownish, blackish deposit on inner side of ur lower teeth)
How will cleaning help you?
For patients it is stoppage of bleeding gums and foul smell. But doctors advice cleaning as more of a preventive treatment rather than curative treatment. Cleaning of teeth will prevent inflammation of gums ( hence no bleeding gums) and bone loss (hence preventing loosening of teeth)
Is cleaning painful?
it cannot be termed painful. U can say causing a bit discomfort but easily bearable by all.
What to expect after u have undergone cleaning of teeth?
1. No bleeding gums
2. Considerable reduction In foul smell
3. U will feel mouth is much lighter
On the downside u will feel
1. Spacing in between ur teeth has increased ( it is not actually the spacing that has increased, but removal of tartar in between ur teeth gives u the feeling that gap has increased)
2.Teeth become sensitive ( it is because a lot of tartar is removed which leaves ur root of teeth exposed to oral cavity. It usually subsides gradually within 15 days)
3. Inner surface of ur lower teeth are rough. ( it is because tartar may not be completely removed from those surfaces. Roughness is felt for 2-3 days only)
4.Lower front four and upper two teeth are sensitive while cleaning of teeth ( it is because those teeth are relatively smaller and less thickness of enamel. Hence vibrations are felt in dentin and hence sensitivity)
As a dentist I would advice to undergo cleaning every 6 monthly.
If not 6 monthly then
1. Whenever u spot yellowish white deposits on inner side of ur lower front teeth
2 . If u Hv bleeding gums
3. If u Hv smelly mouth
4. If u Hv gum problems.
5. If u feel ur teeth are loosening.
Remember it is a preventive treatment. More u neglect , more irreparable damage it causes.
Hope it was helpful . Good day
A sparkling set of shiny white teeth can make a smile more appealing and infectious. Yellow teeth can be extremely embarrassing and annoying. The important dental tissues that make up a tooth include the Enamel, Dentin, Cementum and the Pulp, of these four tissues, the enamel (the white and hard teeth surface) and the dentin (pale brown) are responsible for the tooth colour. Any damage to these two tissues bring about teeth discolouration and factors that contribute significantly towards yellowing of teeth include:
- Poor dental care and hygiene like improper and inadequate flossing and brushing techniques.
- Unhealthy lifestyle habits like chewing of tobacco and betel nuts, smoking, excessive consumption of alcohol, tea and coffee.
- Certain medical conditions and treatments (chemotherapy and radiation) can adversely affect the dentin and the enamel. Antihistamines are also known to stain the teeth. It is best to avoid mouth washes containing Cetylpyridinium Chloride.
- With age, the enamel tends to thin naturally exposing the dentin that lies underneath it.
- Fluoride intake in excess can stain and discolour the teeth.
- Yellow or discoloured teeth can also be genetic.
Yellow teeth, though frustrating, can be fully treated. The mode and success of the treatment is largely influenced by the extent of the teeth discolouration.
- Avoid smoking and chewing of tobacco as much as possible. Control the intake of drinks and foods that can stain and discolour your teeth.
- Practice healthy dental hygiene. Brush your teeth twice daily.
- Some whitening agents (over-the-counter) can be effectively used to treat yellow teeth.
- Dental veneers are a great way to deal with yellow teeth.
- For a healthy set of white teeth with pearly shine, consult a dentist every six months.
In addition, several natural and homemade remedies can also prove to be beneficial
- Nothing can treat yellow teeth more effectively than baking soda. Brushing your teeth with toothpaste mixed with baking soda (about a quarter teaspoon) can do the yellow teeth a world of good. Using a mixture of baking soda with vinegar (white), lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide is an effective natural remedy.
- A healthy practice to get rid of yellow teeth is to rub the teeth with orange peel every night.
- Rubbing the teeth with Strawberry paste will help to reduce the yellow stain greatly.
- The benefits of lemon are known to all. Brush your teeth with a mixture of lemon juice and salt. Wash it off after a few minutes and the yellow tinge will be a thing of the past.
- Charcoal, Apples and Basil leaves are powerful natural ingredients to treat yellow teeth.
Your smile is precious! Do not lose it to yellow teeth.