Find numerous Dentists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Dentists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Asif ShaikYour feedback matters!
I usually get ulcer in my mouth. I have tried all types of medicine and gel but did not worked! what should I do?
Everyday my mouth gives so bad breath It creates a very bad image of me in public anyone cannot talk with me directly what should I do.
I think one of my last tooth is rotten. I'm having lot of pain. Is there any first aid or medicine I can buy over the counter?
I am 60 years old and was a regular smoker for the past 35years and now stopped since two years Now I find some ulcers on the inside of my mouth at the right side jaw, when I have food it is burning in the mouth. This is for for some days then again I am normal and again after some days it starts again. I do not know what could this be. Kindly suggest me if there is any tests that I have to undergo. I have not lost weight I am the same that I was 10years back and have NO BP nor Sugar.
I have a bridge placed on place of my 5 front smiley teeth. I want to remove bridge and have implants. Is it possible and will the implanted teeth be individual (each one with its own root and separated to the other one)?
I am suffering from piarrohea and how to emit bad and unpleasant smell and how to prevent recede gums properly.
My tooth was broken and it root was is remained now after few month it was decayed from the root of the tooth it years from the root so now wh at to do.
I hv pain in my lower back region since one month n I HV hot n cold sensitivity in lower back tooth region.
My wisdom tooth is growing out and causing a lot of pain and swelling to my cheek what can I use to stop the pain?
I have some problems sir, I am paning from teeth sir and not drinking from cooling water sir please tell a solution.
The gums are also called the periodontium which means perio for around and dontium for tooth as the gums are literally present "around the tooth." There is a softer mucosal portion that runs along the tooth in a curved manner and a stronger fibrous portion that connects the tooth to the jaw bone. Together, they provide the structural support for the tooth to be held in place. In addition they also have an aesthetic value with the healthy pink color.
The mouth has the largest number of bacteria in the body, which act on the food debris that is present on the tooth and the gums. This causes infection in both the gums and the tooth.
Types: Periodontal disease can be localized or general.
- Localized disease happens when a tooth is not accessible for thorough cleaning. The inside surface of lower incisors and outer surfaces of the upper last molars are common areas of localized periodontal disease.
- Generalized periodontal disease can be due to conditions like pregnancy, puberty, diabetes problem where gums around all the teeth are affected.
Symptoms: In both the cases, the following symptoms ensue:
- The gums are of a healthy pink color and if they turn darker hue of pink
- Swollen and/or painful gums
- Spontaneous bleeding: This may be localized or generalized
- Chronic bad breath: Due to food accumulation in the infected gums
- If it continues to form an abscess, pressure on the gums can produce pus
- Bad taste in the mouth (arising from pus in the gums)
- Gingival recession, producing an effect of having longer tooth
- Dentin is exposed leading sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Loosening of the tooth
- Painful chewing, as it puts pressure on the inflamed periodontium
- Dentist will identify what are called pockets, which is an indication of severity - the deeper the pockets, the severe the disease.
Management and Prevention: Gum disease is very easy to identify and can be completely cured.
- Regular brushing and flossing can help maintain regular oral hygiene
- With each brushing session, plain finger massage of the gums improves blood circulation and their overall health
- Regular use of mouth rinse is a good way to improve gum health
- Regular visits to the dentist can help keep a check on the health of the teeth and the gums - early identification of disease and early treatment
- Once it has set in, deep scaling followed by root planing may be required to thoroughly clear out the infection
- More surgical options like gingival grafts, flap surgery, bone grafting in case of severe bone loss may be required.
- Management of conditions like diabetes
The best way to avoid periodontal disease is to know its symptoms, follow oral hygiene practices, and consult a dentist regularly.