Corn Removal Procedure
Mole Removal Surgery
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Polishing Treatment
Deep Pigmentation Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Cutaneous Fillers Treatment
Small Dermatologic Surgery
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Line And Wrinkle Smoothing Procedures
Very Friendly with us and got good set up with well trained team.
For skin and hair related problems , I got the very good response and results from the treatment. Dr Shivashankar makes sure to explain all the details and provides a personalized care.. All the best sir.
The Best Dermatologist in south Banglaore. I had an awesome experience when i visit Dr.Shivashankar for some skin problem of mine. A couple of days after starting medication my skin recovered amazingly. For the followup after 2 week, Dr. suggested to stop all the medications. And i never had that skin problem again. i visited Dr. again for my wife's hair falling issue, which reduced almost 100%, now all my wife's brother, sister are regular patients of this Dr. He has an amazing skill for HAIR as we had visited different derma clinics from Barta's to KAYA to DHI and none of these folks could provide a better solutions for the hair falling issue. Now he is our family Dr for SKIN & HAIR. The hospital location is also very reachable, its on 24th main in J.P.Nagar
Dandruff or seborrhea refers to the flaky condition of your skin or scalp caused primarily due to dryness. It is a very common problem for young adults and middle aged people, but can happen to any person regardless of age. Dandruff itself being an embarrassing problem, can also sometimes lead to other skin problems.
The following are a few skin problems that can crop up due to dandruff:
- Can cause pimple: If dandruff or the white flakes fall on your T-zone region very often, then it may lead to the breakout of pimples on your skin.
- May result in pigmentation: The pimples, which can happen due to dandruff can further lead to the problem of pigmentation. This condition leads to the appearance of unwanted black spots all over your face.
- Trigger eczema: Dandruff makes skin problems like eczema and psoriasis even worse. Eczema and psoriasis, which causes itching of the skin can get severe due to dandruff.
- Rashes are also a possibility: Facial rashes can also develop due to dandruff. Often areas around the eyebrows, nose and ears get affected. Sometimes, in case of men, beard rashes also pop up.
- Chest rashes: Dandruff often falls all over your body.This can lead to the problem of chest rashes. This condition results in the appearance of red spots all around your chest region.
Dandruff can be a very distressing problem. If your skin type is oily, dandruff can make conditions far worse. Dandruff is such a problem that cannot be completely cured, but can only be controlled. So, it is highly advisable to take preventive measures as soon as it is detected to avoid further problems.
Blemish free skin, which is supple and radiant is everyone’s dream, however, there are certain lifestyle habits which can take a toll on your skin and affect it adversely.
Here are a few lifestyle habits which affect your skin:
Smoking can speed up the process of aging: Smoking can affect your skin adversely as it strips your skin of essential nutrients and oxidants. This leads to degradation of the basic units of the skin- collagen and elastin. The affected units also lead to uneven skin, appearance of fine lines and sagging. A study has also proven that smoking causes acne as the pores in your skin get blocked.
Stress: Stress has the power to cause major hormonal imbalances inside your body, which can affect your skin. Stress affects the skin’s barrier function which reduces its ability to absorb and retain moisture. Dehydrated skin looks dry and patchy and becomes flaky over time, leading to acne.
Not applying sunscreen: Your job might require you to stay outdoors for long, which exposes your skin to the harmful UV-A and UV-B rays of the sun and dust particles. In such conditions, using sunscreens with SPF (Sun protection factor) 30 or above is a necessity as otherwise, the rays can penetrate into your skin, weaken the collagen cells and lead to pigmentation and tanning in the long run.
Sleep: Sleeping for less than 6 hours at night can make you feel sleepy and tired the next day. Your skin also deals with the lack of rest which is why the radiance is lost and can lead to problems such as under eye bags, dark circles and saggy skin.
Poor nutrition: Poor nutrition which lacks in essential vitamins and minerals can cause serious problems in the skin. Including foods which are rich in vitamin C such as fruits lime, oranges and tomatoes and fatty fishes such as tuna, mackerel and salmons can help you retain radiant skin. Adding colourful fruits and vegetables to your diet will help you detoxify your skin and get acne free and supple skin.
Hives or urticaria is an outbreak of reddish swollen bumps around the skin surface, formed mainly due to the body’s response to particular allergens. Generally, the infectious bumps are of varied shapes and sizes and last for about 5-6 weeks. Although not a serious medical condition, hives can cause tremendous discomfort to the concerned person and affect his/her daily activities. Hives can be cured with a prescribed dosage of antihistamines or oral corticosteroids.
Causes of hives
Although the exact reason behind their formation is still unknown, researchers suggest that this disorder occurs as a response to involuntary histamine release by the skin blood vessels (that in turn, causes a leakage of blood plasma). Some other factors that can be responsible are:
- Hives can occur due to insect or parasite bites.
- Hives can also result as a side effect of painkillers such as codeine and other anti- inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or ACE inhibitors.
- Excessive exposure to sunlight or high levels of stress (leading to high cortisol levels in the body) can also result in hives.
- Intense scratching around the same spot can also result to hive formation.
- Excessive alcohol intake can render you even more vulnerable to this disease.
- Excessive intake of foods such as eggs, fish, nuts, chocolate and berries might also cause hives. Additionally, excessive consumption of certain food preservatives can also trigger the release of histamine.
- Suffering from serious underlying medical conditions such as cancer, hepatitis or thyroid disorders can make you prone to chronic cases of hives (which might last for more than 6 weeks).
Symptoms of hives
The symptoms of hives include, but are not limited to:
- Appearances of several reddish welts around the face or arms which might cause a severe itchy sensation.
- Painful and abnormal swelling around the mouth
- You might also feel tightness in your chest along with recurring bouts of dizziness.
If not treated promptly after diagnosis, hives might result in life-threatening allergic reactions, such as Anaphylaxis (narrowing down of the bronchial tubes, thus causing significant breathing trouble) and auto-immune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
We all love that perfectly glowing skin that has no marks or signs of ageing like moles, tags, fine lines, dark circles and many others. However, for most of us, this remains an imaginary picture that we have in mind. What stares back at us in the mirror has some of the above noted features, in various combinations. However, the desire for that blemish-free skin without any of these continues and is actually not far from reality too.
Some major irritants causing skin scars are as follows:
- Vascular marks including thread veins and broken capillaries.
- Spider nevus is a spider-web like structure with a central vessel and surrounding capillaries dilated radiating away from it. Similarly, blood spots are red, vascular spots that come with ageing.
- Skin tags or milia or warts, these are harmless but esthetically concerning and can irritate if found in an area where it interferes with the garments
- Age spots or brown spots that occur due to sun exposure are also harmless but are esthetic concern.
With esthetics attaining such importance, new ways are constantly being identified to help people improve their looks. While there are various creams and lotions and serums with promises of various chemicals that can do wonders, there actually are procedures that have a scientific basis and can produce results more quickly and effectively.
The following are some popular advanced cosmetic procedures (ACPs) that can help clear these blemishes and produce a spotless, clear skin.
- Chemical peels: This is an exfoliation process done in the clinic, by removing the top layers of rough skin, thereby, making space for new skin to grow. It stimulates growth of collagen and elastin, and promoting new skin growth. It can also be combined with topical antioxidants such as tretinoin and vitamin C, which are proven beneficial for the skin.
- Dermabrasion: Used in a variety of conditions (acne, wrinkles, blemishes), it works on layers that are far deeper than a chemical peel. A rotating brush is used to remove the upper layers of the skin, leaving the underlying layers open. The removed layers of the skin may form a scab, and can be mildly painful. The doctor may decide to use a mild local anesthetic if required.
- Laser skin resurfacing: The skin has an upper thicker layer and an inner thinner layer. A small amount of laser is applied to the underlying layers to stimulate them to produce collagen. The top layers are kept cool with a gel. The extra collagen produces improves elasticity and produces younger looking skin, removing all blemishes.
All these are equally proven ways to treat blemishes. The decision of choosing one particular method should be completely based on your expectations.
If you wish to discuss about any specific skin problem, you can consult a specilized dermatologist and ask a free question.
Skin aging is a gradual process, but multiple factors, including stress and less sleep, expedite the aging process. Skin aging manifests itself in the form of wrinkles, sagging, discoloration and other visible effects. Such changes become more apparent as soon as one reaches late thirties or early forties, but early onsets are now very common too, which can be caused by a number of factors.
There are many ways by which skin aging can be prevented. Let us have a look at the following:
- Eat healthy: Having a nutritious balanced diet can make a tremendous positive impact on your skin. Consumption of food items that are rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients is essential. It is also important to drink lots of water and fluids to stay hydrated. Junk food and sugary drinks should be avoided as it negatively affects skin health.
- Avoid sun exposure: This is the most basic way of reducing the rate of skin aging and slowing down the process. While going out in the day cannot always be avoided, it is important to keep the skin covered with clothing, hats and sunglasses.
- Always wear sunscreen: This provides protection from the harmful rays of the sun (known as UVA and UVB). Making a habit of constantly applying sunscreen on all exposed parts of skin plays an important role in preventing skin aging. It is also necessary to use the right products, which should have an SPF rating or 30 or more.
- Exercise regularly: Keeping fit through regular workouts and exercise improves the circulation of blood in the body and consequently, the supply of blood and oxygen to the skin. This keeps the skin healthy and young and prevents early onset of wrinkling and aging.
There are several other ways of preventing skin aging such as avoid smoking, avoid the use of too many products and cosmetics, getting enough sleep, and always keeping skin cleansed and moisturized. Following these simple ways can effectively make your skin look younger and slow down the aging process.
Acne breakout can ruin the look of healthy skin completely. Sometimes it gets very severe as the eruptions keep happening continually. Acne occurs when oil, dead skin or bacteria block the pores on your skin. Though it is not dangerous, acne can be embarrassing and can leave scars on your skin. Severe acne can also be quite painful. Pimples in the form of blackheads and whiteheads are the main symptoms of acne.
Causes of Acne:
- Stress: Stress is a major cause that makes your skin prone to acne. When the body is stressed, it produces excessive testosterone (a sex hormone) resulting in excessive oil production. Stress also impairs the immune system of the body so that it becomes vulnerable to acne.
- Cosmetics: Some cosmetics (usually oil based) tend to clog the pores of the skin which may result in acne. Using harsh cleansing agents can dry and irritate the skin. Also, gentle washing of the skin is recommended to avoid breakouts.
- Certain medications and drugs: Consumption of specific over the counter medicines like the ones containing bromide and use of recreational drugs like marijuana and cocaine can lead to the occurrence of acne as side effects.
- Genetics: Certain genetic factors may also be responsible for someone being more prone to acne than others.
Treatment for Acne:
Cosmetic dermatology procedures can successfully help you do away with acne scars. Blue-light therapy is a procedure in cosmetic dermatology which can work wonders for acne scars. A narrow- band, but high - intensity Blue-light is used to counter Porphyrins released by bacteria causing acne. Porphyrins easily absorb Blue-light and the light leads to radical damage of Porphyrins when used in certain wavelengths.
There are also certain topical creams available, which can improve mild scarring, most of the acne scars are either depressed or raised type and need a combination of surgical procedures and skin resurfacing.
The therapeutic options that are currently available to treat acne scars include subcision, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, derma rollers, chemical peels, TCA cross, ablative lasers, fractional lasers and dermal fillers.
A number of factors are associated with hair fall and if someone is suffering from severe hair fall on a daily basis, then it is certainly a cause of concern. Here are five major reasons of hair loss that you need to know:
- Scalp infections: Infections of the scalp is one of the factors that may cause hair fall at an alarming rate. Of the different scalp infections, the ringworm scalp infection is the most common. Although this fungal infection can occur in any part of your body, when it develops on your scalp, you end up losing clumps of hair. Alongside the use of anti-fungal medications, even anti-fungal shampoos and creams can provide you with respite from the problem.
- Stress: Stress gives rise to certain conditions such as alopecia areata, telogen effluvium (hair loss caused post-pregnancy or surgery) and trichotillomania (an impulsive need to pull your hair out), which can cause you to lose significant amount of hair. To avert a hair loss crisis caused by stress, make it a point to do some simple stress reducing exercises, such as meditation or breathing exercises.
- Hair styling products: Using hair styling products like hair colours and straighteners can cause you to experience hair fall problems. Your hair not only becomes dull and dry due to their use, but also becomes weak and brittle, leading to a gradual loss of hair. Regular oiling and use of homemade hair masks are some of the ways you can try to counter the negative effects of these hair styling products.
- Cancer treatment: The drugs that are used in the treatment of cancer not only destroy the fast-growing cancer cells, but also the healthy blood cells in your body. For this reason, consuming foods that possess cancer-fighting properties (like oatmeal, tomato, almonds, garlic etc) is a sure-shot way of fighting the disease as well as averting any side-effects that may arise because of the treatment.
- Genetics: The origin of your severe hair fall or baldness can be traced back to your ancestors. So, your genes can be a factor behind your hair fall problem. If this is the cause, your body then becomes unable to produce new hair. Apart from the changes that you can make in your lifestyle to address the causes of your hair fall, there are also techniques out there that you can employ to permanently treat your problem, such as platelet rich plasma, mesotherapy, stem cell therapy, ozone activated platelet rich plasma & hair transplant.
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) technique of hair transplant has obtained considerable popularity over the past several years. This developing technique makes use of a small round punch to extort follicular units from the patient's donor areas. The follicular units are grouped to form grafts and then relocated into the patient's balding areas.
What makes FUE better than FUT?
FUE is essentially a subtype of FUT (Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation). FUT can be performed in two ways, either by microscopic strip harvesting technique or by FUE. The less persistent nature and rapid healing time have made FUE gain that extra edge over FUT.
How FUE is performed?
The follicular unit grafts usually occur in a grouping of one, two, three or four hairs. These grafts are carefully harvested directly from the donor scalp using a small punch whose size typically varies from 0.7 to 1mm. Through a multiple step blunt dissection process, the underlying follicular unit is alienated from the neighboring tissues. Thereafter, the follicular units can be extorted with the help of forceps. The pores left behind post removal of follicle get healed within few days.
These extracted follicles are relocated to the patient's balding areas with the help of forceps. This hair transplantation is done either immediately after a single graft is extracted or after the entire harvest is over. The entire extraction and relocation of hair follicle is carried out by experts of the field, aided by trained technicians.
Advantages of FUE:
- Less Invasive Technique: Unlike FUT, FUE involves individual extraction of follicles directly from the scalp using small punches. Thus, it does not require any closure of post-extortion wounds. This makes FUE less invasive in nature. This is definitely an advantage of FUE which makes it popular among the masses.
- No Linear Scars and Rapid Healing: FUT often leaves behind linear scars on patient's occipital and temporal areas of the scalp. Furthermore, the wounds due to FUT take more time to heal. Both of these problems are considerably reduced by opting FUE. FUE creates small, circular scars after the transplantation, which goes undetected. The wounds also get healed much rapidly.
- Option for Body Hair Transplantation: FUE opens wide options for probable donor areas of hair follicles. The hair follicles can be extracted from any part of donor's body which has got feasible hair growth. Thus, the hair supply gets increased for any hair repair operation.
- Best Suited Eyebrow Reconstruction: All those typical hair transplants, which require extortion of limited number of single hair follicles, FUE is best suited. The hair follicles are individually examined and picked by the FUE surgeons as per the requirement. Therefore, it is best suited for critical procedures like eyebrow reconstruction.
By exploring the advantages of FUE, it can be easily concluded that this developing hair transplantation technique will surely get highly popular in the coming years.