Doctor in Poornima Clinic
Treatment of Alcohol Addiction Disorder
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Sleeping Problem
Treatment of Anxiety and Depression
Treatment of OCD
Treatment of Schizophrenia
Treatment of Bipolar Disorder
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Treatment of Psychosis
Chronic Pain Management
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Submit a review for Poornima ClinicYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
A dysfunctional family comprises of destructive and harmful parenting along with a persistent lack of concern for the child. The harmful effects that a dysfunctional family wreaks on a child often go unnoticed and unacknowledged. In most cases, no action is taken to rectify the situation or to minimize the negative effects on the child.
When the distress caused to the child is severe and long-drawn, it may lead to the development of psychological conditions such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder. If these conditions are not treated, they may affect the child for the rest of their life. Below are different types of a dysfunctional family and its impacts on the child:
- There are families where either one or both the parents are drug or alcohol addicts or possess some other kind of addiction. These addictions may cause the parent to pass out or go missing for extended spans of time, behave unexpectedly, or cause acute financial hardship for the family. Children belonging to such families grow up to be distrustful adults who believe others to be unreliable and untrustworthy.
- Children hailing from families where the parents are getting divorced are often used as pawns. The parents who are divorcing often try to turn the child against the other one, say negative things about the other parent, inhibit the child from communicating with the other parent, or coercing the child to reject the other parent altogether. Such children develop various types of mental problems when they grow up. These problems could cause irrational self-blame, self-loathing, and even drug dependence.
- There are families in which volatility and violence are predominant. Children coming from such families are also at the risk of manifesting similar behaviour patterns. When the child grows up, he or she may become rebellious and manifest anti-social behaviours such as picking up fights with peers, vandalizing property, bullying others, truancy and dropping out of an educational institution.
- Some children are forcibly detached from their parents’ care owing to various reasons such as being taken into care by someone else or sentenced to juvenile detention. Such children also tend to be unsocial when they grow up and show unexpected and undesired behaviour patterns.
- Children belonging to families where parents have a mental illness, slowly turn into the abyss of depression which, in turn, affects their own psychological development.
- On the other hand, families where the parents exercise absolute control over the child and the parents make unprecedented control of their power tend to bring up children who are mentally retarded and sick.
A child hailing from a dysfunctional family often struggles in adulthood due to lack of emotional maturity. Therefore, in the best interest of the child, measures should be taken such that the child grows up to be a healthy, stable, and responsible citizen.
Post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD is regarded as an extremely distressing condition arising after experiencing a traumatic event. It affects about 3 percent of the population around the globe and the symptoms affecting the individuals are more or less similar.
Many people affected by this psychological disorder are also vulnerable to developing various mental illnesses such as drug and alcohol abuse, phobias, and sleep and eating disorders. Since the patients often have a tendency to develop nutritional habits, nutritional therapy for PTSD can have proven to be very helpful in relieving the symptoms.
§ Having the right diet
It has been pointed out by the experts that dietary changes are crucial for managing the symptoms of PTSD since the anti-inflammatory diet, such as a Mediterranean diet inhibits the intake of processed and refined foods. Patients are encouraged to take good amounts of legumes, vegetables, olive oil, unrefined cereals, and lean meat along with a moderate amount of dairy products. It is suggested that they should have locally produced food and organic food so that it can reduce a person’s exposure to agricultural as well as environmental toxins.
During the 1940s, research has been carried out to find out about the effectiveness of the Mediterranean diet for reducing the effects of PTSD. It is shown to improve the quality of life of an affected individual. It is worthwhile to mention here that the modernization of the food industry has exposed it to various types of processing and refining techniques which incorporate toxins and snatch away the inherent goodness of different foods. Thus, it has become difficult for a person to have an anti-inflammatory diet in the true sense of the term. However, a nutritionist can guide a patient in adopting the fundamental principles of the Mediterranean diet along with a more active lifestyle to reduce inflammation and symptoms of PTSD.
Importance of specific anti-inflammatory nutrients
Individuals suffering from PTSD are prone to have chemical imbalances and therefore, it is important to point out that the areas where immediate additional or intensive support is needed. Most nutritionists focus on the significance of Omega 3 and curcumin for relieving the symptoms of PTSD.
Omega 3 fatty acids not only exhibit anti-depressant and anti-inflammatory effects but also play a critical role in monitoring neurogenesis. On the other hand, curcumin, which is a polyphenol available in turmeric root is regarded as an effective compound for PTSD owing to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, monoaminergic and neuroprotective effects which are all directly related to the disease.
To conclude, it can be said that post-traumatic stress disorder is a complicated psychological disorder which involves potential biochemical and physiological dysfunctions in numerous types of mechanistic pathways. In many cases, individuals seek dietary interventions without any formal treatment and find it helpful in offering desired results. However, it is best to consult a specialist before things go out of hand.
Parents are biologically and culturally programmed to take care of their little ones from the moment they set foot in this world. But an autism diagnosis can often shatter their world. It can be a difficult fact for parents to accept the special condition of their child, however, due to the nature of parenthood and love, with time they do learn to manage and cope up.
Dealing with the reality and facts of an autistic state can be challenging, but parents should comprehend the truth that with support, autistic children can lead a better and happy life.
Having said that, let us take a look at some of the coping strategies that you must employ after finding out that your offspring has been diagnosed with autism.
- Give time for personal growth: One of the effective ways through which parents can make sure that their children are well taken care of is to avoid overlooking their own needs, both physically and mentally. Raising autistic kids can sometimes be stressful and unmanageable, and it is imperative to handle the situation with a constructive approach. The last thing any parent would want is to vent out their frustration on their kids; hence, to make sure they are getting your complete attention, you must pay attention to your needs first.
- Channel your emotions in the right direction: You are bound to feel sad and depressed when you first come to learn about the diagnosis. If you really want to help your children and family hold together, it is necessary to let yourself experience every emotion that you feel in order to evolve yourself as a human and a parent. You can direct these emotions to grow compassion and acceptance. Also, you can channelize your emotions in a productive manner and this will prove supportive to your child as well.
- Consult an expert whenever required: Everyone in life faces a situation where asking for help becomes mandatory. Autism is one of those cases when reaching out to your close ones is an absolute must. Sharing your emotions and feelings with your friends and family can help them understand why you might be experiencing sadness and agitation.
Despite self-care and support, sometimes you may feel overwhelmed while raising an autistic child, and this is when you must seek guidance from a professional therapist or an autism specialist.
Finally, it is extremely important for you to make certain that your lives do not get defined by this situation. Of course, it is easier said than done, but dealing with your autistic child requires you to first take care of your body and mind, which can assure the better growth and development of your little one. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Addiction can tear families apart, especially if it is someone whom you love with your whole heart. Further, the mere presence of alcohol addiction in a marriage can make things even worse. There are so many experiences that are a part of married life and spending your life besides an alcoholic can be traumatic.
However, all it needs is to be aware of coping mechanisms to deal with such a situation and helping your partner get rid of their addiction.
- Acknowledge the fact that alcoholism is a disease: You must understand that it becomes extremely difficult for a person to control his or her drinking habit after getting addicted to the same. It is basically like a person suffering from a disease that he/she doesn't even understand. Therefore, it is necessary for you to help him/her making a choice to recover from this disease and take a stand against alcoholism. And, to get over the situation, support from you is crucial.
- Maintain a sense of peace: It is not surprising that the drinking habit of your partner may upset you. Even then, it is imperative for you to be patient and handle the situation calmly. You can speak to someone close to you or consult a therapist regarding the situation, this can help you manage the frustration rather than venting it out on your partner.
- Treat yourself better: There is nothing that you can do to change the lifestyle of your spouse when it involves drinking. It is a kind of attitude that actually needs to come from within him or her. But, what you can actually do is at least take care of yourself, which will help you in the longer run. Build and develop relationships with other people in your family, friends and colleagues. Focus on the things that you enjoy doing such as play some sports, go out for a movie, have lunch with friends, or engage in a hobby.
- Opting for professional help: Rehabilitation is necessary when your spouse is addicted to alcohol for a long time. It is important that you discuss the same with your partner when they are sober. If it is difficult for you to have this discussion, you can ask for help from people that your partner may listen to. Taking counselling session with them can give them support and courage they need to get deal with this phase of their life.
Living with an alcoholic partner is a path filled with full of difficulties. However, adhering to the points mentioned above can help you deal with the situation in a positive manner. Remember, your spouse needs you from time to time, and supporting them can help you get a life that you signed up for.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
While we all wish to avoid emotional distress due to the sense of loss and fear attached to it, we invariably become a victim of such pain at some point in time in our lives. Here the irony is that the more we want to escape pain, the nearer it comes to us, and the more intense its effects get.
There is hardly an individual around the globe who have not gone through ups and downs, but it doesn't signify that there is something wrong in the life we lead. It only manifests that we are human beings who can withstand the wrongs and hope for a better tomorrow.
Here are some coping strategies when you are down with mental agony.
- Face the odds: When you are suffering from emotional turmoil, all the negative feelings right from anger to frustration to distress are what comprise you. You should surrender to what is taking a toll on you and accept it in a way as if you have chosen it.
- Give yourself some time: You will need some time to drive yourself out of the darkness and accept the presence of your emotional pain. Time can help you rest, heal and recover completely from the grasp of the pain and suffering. You should be gentle with yourself throughout the process and have a faith that everything happens the way it is meant to happen.
- Observe your pain and suffering: When you are down with emotional pain, you should suffer, but consciously. You must observe your anguish, sadness, and stream of negative thoughts. The terrible feelings that feed your pain should be considered objectively. You should never allow the pain to become a part of who you are.
- Accept pain and let go: No one in the world wants to stay amidst pain and suffering. Everybody tries to do away with it, and in an attempt of running away from pain, we invariably fall into its trap. There are situations in which pain demands to be felt, and thus you should understand it and find out the reason behind it. This way you will be able to help it go away.
- Spend a lot of time with yourself: When you love somebody, you tend to spend a lot of time with that person. During spans of pain, you are the one who needs to be by your side and therefore, you should give yourself quality time and help the pain to mitigate instead of becoming emotionally dependent on someone else. You can indulge in any activity that you enjoy from painting to walking to swimming to trekking. It could be anything but make sure it helps you breathe free.
Pain always comes with a message. Once you get to decipher this message, it becomes easier to find out coping strategies and ways to mitigate the pain while the pain eventually subsides.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!