Doctor in Poornima Clinic
Treatment of Alcohol Addiction Disorder
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Sleeping Problem
Treatment of Anxiety and Depression
Treatment of OCD
Treatment of Schizophrenia
Treatment of Bipolar Disorder
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Treatment of Psychosis
Chronic Pain Management
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Submit a review for Poornima ClinicYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Addiction can tear families apart, especially if it is someone whom you love with your whole heart. Further, the mere presence of alcohol addiction in a marriage can make things even worse. There are so many experiences that are a part of married life and spending your life besides an alcoholic can be traumatic.
However, all it needs is to be aware of coping mechanisms to deal with such a situation and helping your partner get rid of their addiction.
- Acknowledge the fact that alcoholism is a disease: You must understand that it becomes extremely difficult for a person to control his or her drinking habit after getting addicted to the same. It is basically like a person suffering from a disease that he/she doesn't even understand. Therefore, it is necessary for you to help him/her making a choice to recover from this disease and take a stand against alcoholism. And, to get over the situation, support from you is crucial.
- Maintain a sense of peace: It is not surprising that the drinking habit of your partner may upset you. Even then, it is imperative for you to be patient and handle the situation calmly. You can speak to someone close to you or consult a therapist regarding the situation, this can help you manage the frustration rather than venting it out on your partner.
- Treat yourself better: There is nothing that you can do to change the lifestyle of your spouse when it involves drinking. It is a kind of attitude that actually needs to come from within him or her. But, what you can actually do is at least take care of yourself, which will help you in the longer run. Build and develop relationships with other people in your family, friends and colleagues. Focus on the things that you enjoy doing such as play some sports, go out for a movie, have lunch with friends, or engage in a hobby.
- Opting for professional help: Rehabilitation is necessary when your spouse is addicted to alcohol for a long time. It is important that you discuss the same with your partner when they are sober. If it is difficult for you to have this discussion, you can ask for help from people that your partner may listen to. Taking counselling session with them can give them support and courage they need to get deal with this phase of their life.
Living with an alcoholic partner is a path filled with full of difficulties. However, adhering to the points mentioned above can help you deal with the situation in a positive manner. Remember, your spouse needs you from time to time, and supporting them can help you get a life that you signed up for.
While we all wish to avoid emotional distress due to the sense of loss and fear attached to it, we invariably become a victim of such pain at some point in time in our lives. Here the irony is that the more we want to escape pain, the nearer it comes to us, and the more intense its effects get.
There is hardly an individual around the globe who have not gone through ups and downs, but it doesn't signify that there is something wrong in the life we lead. It only manifests that we are human beings who can withstand the wrongs and hope for a better tomorrow.
Here are some coping strategies when you are down with mental agony.
- Face the odds: When you are suffering from emotional turmoil, all the negative feelings right from anger to frustration to distress are what comprise you. You should surrender to what is taking a toll on you and accept it in a way as if you have chosen it.
- Give yourself some time: You will need some time to drive yourself out of the darkness and accept the presence of your emotional pain. Time can help you rest, heal and recover completely from the grasp of the pain and suffering. You should be gentle with yourself throughout the process and have a faith that everything happens the way it is meant to happen.
- Observe your pain and suffering: When you are down with emotional pain, you should suffer, but consciously. You must observe your anguish, sadness, and stream of negative thoughts. The terrible feelings that feed your pain should be considered objectively. You should never allow the pain to become a part of who you are.
- Accept pain and let go: No one in the world wants to stay amidst pain and suffering. Everybody tries to do away with it, and in an attempt of running away from pain, we invariably fall into its trap. There are situations in which pain demands to be felt, and thus you should understand it and find out the reason behind it. This way you will be able to help it go away.
- Spend a lot of time with yourself: When you love somebody, you tend to spend a lot of time with that person. During spans of pain, you are the one who needs to be by your side and therefore, you should give yourself quality time and help the pain to mitigate instead of becoming emotionally dependent on someone else. You can indulge in any activity that you enjoy from painting to walking to swimming to trekking. It could be anything but make sure it helps you breathe free.
Pain always comes with a message. Once you get to decipher this message, it becomes easier to find out coping strategies and ways to mitigate the pain while the pain eventually subsides.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!