Submit a review for mohd shadYour feedback matters!
There are many food items which would become stale after a few hours, but there are certain foods which may last forever without the need to can them or freeze or dehydrate. If an individual is new to the field of food storage, these staples can be an excellent way to begin.
- White rice: There are numerous researchers who have found that polished or white rice keeps up their nutrient content and flavour for almost 30 years if it can be stored in oxygen-free containers in temperatures that range below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Brown rice, on the other hand, doesn’t last more than six months owing to the availability of natural oils in the bran layer.
- Honey: Honey is preferably the only food that would last forever due to the perfect chemistry and the handiwork of the bees. The nectar extracted from the flower gets mixed with the enzymes present in the bees’ bodies which alter the composition of the nectar. The nectar is further broken down into simple sugars and is accumulated in the honeycombs. The processing, as well as sealing of the honey, is primarily responsible for the incredible shelf life.
- Salt: Since sodium chloride is a mineral which is taken from the natural components of the earth, its shelf-life should come as a natural consequence. It is used for centuries as a means of preserving other food products as it can extract out all the moisture. But this doesn’t indicate that the table salt would last forever. Experts say that the addition of the iodine to the table salt reduces the shelf life of the salt which means that if the label says that it is an iodized salt, it will not last over five years.
- Soy sauce: When left unopened, a container filled with soya sauce would last for a significantly long period. But it is also dependent on the type of soy sauce and the additives used. Even if the soy sauce has been opened, this salty condiment will last for many years if stored in the refrigerator.
- Sugar: Quite similar to many items, the storage process of the sugar determines whether the sugar is going to last for long or not. Granulated and powdered sugar must be kept under an airtight condition to steer clear of moisture. Although retailers are needed to provide the manufacturing dates of the sugar, manufacturers say that the sugar remains edible even if it has hardened and become brown.
- Pure maple syrup: Pure maple syrup, as well as commercial sugars such as granular sugars and honey, has an irresistible life owing to its shield against any kinds of microbial growth. Unopened maple syrup shall last forever, and in case there is the formation of mould, boiling it to a certain degree and skimming the surface and ultimately pouring it to a clean and air-tight container would eliminate all the problems.
- Clarified butter: This kind of butter is boiled unless the total moisture is extracted, which is the reason that it doesn’t go bad. As long as the clarified butter or ghee is stored in sealed container under cool temperature, it would last for about 100 years. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Can I take lukewarm lemon honey water in the summer also or by taking honey my body will become warm and affect my pitta dosha?
Hello, My question is proteinx what effect in our body and what side effect our body. please any advice me is that true or false. Thank you.
Is drinking beer will gives any health related problems and is it improve your weight and drinking beer how many times in a week is not bad?
The battle of supremacy between processed and whole foods has been raging on for quite some time now. Which is better? Which is more nutritional? The debate seems a never ending one. This article will tell you the benefits and drawbacks of both types of foods. It’s for you to decide which one is better for you and which isn't.
Processed foods are foods which have been altered in some way or the other to make them healthier, to make them taste better or for storage purposes. Almost every day to day food that you consume is processed. Some examples of processed foods include breakfast cereals, cheese, milks, soft drinks, bread etc.
Advantages of processed foods
Here are some advantages that you drive home from processed foods:
1. Processed foods like different types of jams and juices taste very good and last longer, making them a part of every household.
2. Processed fruits, vegetables and herbs, when stored in cans, tend to be free from bacteria and other harmful agents.
3. They are easy to purchase because they are available in all seasons
Disadvantages of processed foods
Processed foods have their own set of drawbacks. Here are some of them:
1. Some processed foods are genetically modified, which may cause a negative impact on your health.
2. Foods tend to lose their nutritional value when processed.
3. Foods that contain added sugar and fat can lead to a lot of health problems like diabetes, heart diseases and other cardiovascular problems.
Natural foods are those which don’t undergo any change in the form of added color, sugar or flavor. Natural foods go straight from vegetable farms and poultry farms to the market where you can purchase them.
Advantages of natural foods
Fresh fruits, vegetables or meat are categorized under natural foods, including a host of other foods as well which are not processed. Here are their advantages:
1. Natural foods are as nature intended them to be. They contain no added ingredients or flavor.
2. A diet comprising of natural foods keeps many diseases at bay.
3. Natural foods are free harmful flavor enhancers like MSG
4. Natural foods are rich in vitamins and minerals which are necessary for a healthy you.
Disadvantages of natural foods
There are not many disadvantages of natural foods apart from the facts that they are difficult to store, spoil after a certain period and are not available all year round. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
I am 20 years male. Please suggest me a proper diet chart since I suffer from diseases frequently. I catch cold easily. Suggest me some ways to overcome this.
Is it true that eating dry fruits in the morning prevents dementia in old age? How many almonds, cashew nuts, dry under, APRICOT etc will help us?
I'm suffering with cold. Doctor advised Supradyn, AB Phylline, Dafacort with Mucolite syrup. Along with all these medicines can I take Kanthil an ayurvedic medicine.
What should be the diet plan for a 60 yearly who is presently having no health problem like BP sugar and no other issues so far.
I eat garlic two pieces empty stomach every morning and in night with milk. Is it harmful or good for health.
Food is one of the greatest nourishments that is routinely required by our body. This is an element that can also make or break our immunity and promote good health. Therefore, it is imperative to eat healthy food so that one can not only take care of one’s body but also prevent the onset of various kinds of diseases. Carcinogens are present all around us, and we would do well to counter this with plenty of healthy food that are anti-cancer in nature. One will need to have at least 5 servings of this kind of foods in a day so that cancer can be kept at bay. Join us as we discuss these anti-cancer foods and how you can ingest them to prevent cancer.
- Garlic: This is known as a wonder food that can not only prevent cancer but also keep cardiovascular diseases away. Garlic is known to keep the oesophagus and colon clean so that toxins are not born in the digestive tract. These can create problems starting from the manifestation of stones to other issues like tumours as well. Garlic can keep cancer cells from multiplying, which can prevent the onset of the disease.
- Berries: There are various kinds of berries like strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, which can help in preventing cancer. This is due to the fact that these berries are filled with healthy antioxidants, which stop cancer cells from multiplying in one’s body. The antioxidants do this by stopping the process of free radical creation in one’s body. This process will help in preventing cancer.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are a fruit that can help in preventing diseases like prostate cancer. This is especially helpful if you have a genetic factor when it comes to cancer and a family history of the same that can bring about prostate cancer. The ingestion of tomatoes can help in stopping the DNA in your cells from causing such kind of damage which can lead to the start of cancer in the body. One can also use tomato sauce and puree in order to make curries and sauces on a regular basis so that one gets a good and healthy dose of tomatoes in a single day.
- Cruciferous Foods: These leafy greens like lettuce, cabbage and cauliflower as well as different types of salad leaves are called cruciferous foods. There are many free radicals that are known to escape from one’s DNA and cause damage like the growth of cancerous cells in one’s body. Regular consumption of such cruciferous foods like these leafy greens can actually put a stop to this process of free radicals and their production, which can also prevent cancer in the long run.
Are you sure that garlic to be consumed without chewing, as we heard it should be taken by chewing. Early morning how many cloves of garlic to be taken without chewing.
When and how much quantity of peanuts are good to be consumed per day. Should roasted or raw peanuts be consumed?
What are the test to be done after hepatitis b chronic is deducted. I have been a hepatitis b chronic patient since 3 years and I have not done any test. Is jayant barve who treated amitabh bachan a good option. What is the cost of treatment. Is it curable.
In case your bloodsuger is controlled with medicine, can we take banana, Grapes,Oranges, If yes in what quantity?
Is chicken pox is a day disease. How can it be prevented? Once if affected to person. Chances of again coming are are right?
Bones are very essential for our overall health and movement. Though formed early in life, they constantly require adequate nutrition to manage routine wear and tear. If not done, there could be degeneration of the bone (either rapid onset or progress), which can lead to multiple changes such as limited movement, painful movement and a stooped posture.
A good balanced diet is essential for overall health, but bone health is primarily dependent on two important substances – Vitamin D and calcium.
- Calcium: This is the most important mineral in the maintenance of strong bones and teeth. Diet is the only source of calcium, and if the body does not receive adequate amounts of it, what is stored in the bones is removed, making the bones fragile and brittle and porous. This condition is known as osteoporosis. Calcium requirements differ across age and gender, and the following food items are rich sources of calcium:
- Dairy products like cheese, milk and yoghurt
- Green leafy vegetables
- Sea foods like sardines, salmon and fish
- Fortified cereals and beverages
- Calcium supplements
- Avoid aerated beverages as they impair calcium absorption.
- Vitamin D: More than calcium, the body requires vitamin D, without which calcium cannot be absorbed into the blood stream. Vitamin D is present in the gut. It is responsible for absorption of calcium and maintains serum calcium and phosphorus levels. Vitamin D is again received through a combination of sun and diet. Common sources of vitamin D include:
- Fatty fish such as tuna, salmon and mackerel
- Dairy products like cheese and milk
- Fortified products including beverages and dairy products
- Mushrooms, cereals, etc.
- Unlike calcium, Vitamin D can be produced in the system naturally when the body is exposed to sunlight. However, in people who do not receive adequate sun, supplements are also useful.
- Others: Though Vitamin D and calcium are the main components, the following are equally important for bone health.
- Phosphorus: As part of bone crystals, it is found in meat and dairy products. Phosphorus absorption is better if there is adequate vitamin D.
- Magnesium: This is responsible for bone strength. Older people may need magnesium supplements.
- Vitamin A: It is essential for normal skeletal growth and is found in liver, butter, eggs, carrots, and green leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin C: It is present in citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc. and is necessary for collagen synthesis.
Tips for maintaining optimal bone health:
- Have plenty of dairy products and soft fish.
- Reduce intake of acidic foods.
- Improve alkaline food intake.
- Increase intake of antioxidants and lycopene-rich foods.
- Moderate alcohol content.
- Reduce caffeine, soda, and sodium.
- Ensure optimal weight management so there is no added pressure on the knees and ankles.
- Maintain optimal levels of physical activity to ensure mobility.
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.