Infertility is the condition of not be able to conceive a child despite frequent and unprotected sex. The inability to get pregnant is the characteristic symptom of this disorder. This disorder can affect both men and women. Some women with this disorder might have an irregular or absent menstrual cycle. In men abnormal sperm production or function can cause infertility.
HOW IS INFERTILITY DIAGNOSED?
Diagnosis of the same would be done by a general physician based on the symptoms. Along with an ultrasound, the doctor would also ask the patient to check and track their menses.
HOW IS INFERTILITY TREATED?
Infertility can be treated with medicine, surgery, intra-uterine insemination, or assisted reproductive technology. Many times these treatments are combined. Doctors recommend specific treatments for infertility based on—
• The factors contributing to the infertility.
• The duration of the infertility.
• The age of the female.
• The couple’s treatment preference after counseling about success rates, risks, and benefits of each treatment option
DID YOU KNOW?
In some cases Infertility may also be a result of stress or obesity
In general terms, infertility is described as the failure to conceive a child after about 1 year of regular unprotected sex. As per research, 20% of infertility cases are a result of some problem with the male partner and about 40%-50% of cases are a result of some problem with the female partner. There are also cases in which the infertility results because of problems with both the partners.
There are many reasons a woman may suffer from infertility, such as- age, excessive smoking, consumption of alcohol, obesity, stress, eating disorders and ovulation disorders. In case of men the causes may range from low sperm count to testicular infection and even testicular cancer.
With the advancement in science and technology various forms of fertility treatments are available in today’s time and day. Initially, the doctor may recommend lifestyle changes and medication depending on the cause of the problem. If this does not solve the problem, various methods of assisted conception are also available. For instance-
• Intrauterine insemination (IUI) - Via the IUI procedure, the sperm sample is ejected directly into the uterus with the help of a catheter. The best of the sperms are first chosen, and inserted into the uterus during the period of ovulation for the best possible results. The IUI procedure is generally done when the male partner suffers from a low sperm count or erectile dysfunction.
• In-vitro-fertilization (IVF) - Via the IVF procedure, both the best specimens of sperm and unfertilized eggs are chosen and placed together in a petri dish. Once the eggs are fertilized and the embryo forms, it is then placed into the womb of the female partner. A baby born through an IVF procedure is called a test tube baby, and about 5 million births have taken place due to IVF. IVF may not prove to be successful in the first try itself, which is why a number of couples opt for frozen embryo transfers (FET). In this case, they have additional embryos frozen just in case they cannot conceive in the first try.
In case, there is absolutely no production of healthy sperm by the male, pregnancy can be possible through a sperm donor. The same applies in the case of women. On occasion there is a possibility that a woman’s womb may not be apt for a baby to grow, in this case a couple can opt for surrogacy too.
In case of infertility there are a number of treatment options available today. Do not lose hope if you are unable to conceive, consult a doctor and get the necessary treatment to help you start a family.
Lybrate offers you the ultimate chance to contact the best reproductive endocrinologists and consult them either online or through an appointment. Through Lybrate you can find the top doctors all across India. Locate top reproductive endocrinologists and general physicians in Thane, Thoothukudi, Vadodara, Visakhapatnam, Bangalore etc. Lybrate.com is the ideal online portal which will deal with all your medical needs. Subscribe to Lybrate.com today, so you can consult the doctor of your choice and receive updates on IVF procedure and IUI procedure.