Doctor in Amee Maternity Surgical Hospital
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Amee Maternity Surgical HospitalYour feedback matters!
Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a potentially life-threatening condition that causes a steep drop in blood pressure, resulting in deprivation of oxygen to the organs, which in severe cases leads to death. This disease has been associated with menstruating women who use superabsorbent tampons. It was first recognized in the 1970s and 80s when women using tampons of certain brands were affected by this syndrome and those brands were immediately taken off the market. This disease primarily affects tampon wearers and harmful effects of cervical caps, diaphragms, and menstrual sponges have surfaced.
New mothers are susceptible to TSS as well as those who are recovering from a surgery, are wounded or are using prosthetics. It is important to know about its symptoms so that you can identify the disease and seek professional help at the earliest.
Warning signs of TSS include:
An overgrowth of bacteria called staphylococcus aureus (staph) causes this disease. It can be found primarily in female bodies. This is one of the many staph bacteria that lead to skin infections in burn victims and patients recovering from surgical wounds. Group a streptococcus (strep) bacteria is another cause of this syndrome.
Siblings are most definitely, the best thing to have ever happened to anyone. We fight, we laugh, we play and we defend. No matter, whether you are the best buddies or you cannot even stand being in the same room, you two (or three or four!) share an inseparable bond, which will last for a lifetime. Siblings are surely in for the long haul, while friends and colleagues may just come and go. But do our sibs really influence us?
The weight issues!
Obesity has been known to run in generations and families, but there have been studies which show that siblings have an influence, especially when we talk of the waistline. Researches’ conducted from a 2014 based study at Duke University from the Sanford School of Public Policy show that if the older sibling is obese, the chances of the younger one, being the same increase fivefold. This is regardless of the fact that the parents are obese or not.
Though there is little evidence supporting the theory of birth order affecting personality, there sure is enough to support that siblings do shape the same for each other. Siblings do develop separate identities for themselves and in the same run, affect and shape the personality and characteristics as well as the behavior of the other, to a major extent. For instance, a person would make more of an effort to become an outgoing person, if his/ her sibling is shy and quiet. In case of families with three kids, this is more likely to happen among siblings of the same gender instead of the opposite genders.
The first teachers!
Navigating social situations are what we first learn from our siblings. A daily practice in understanding foreign minds and getting an insight of the outer world is what we first get from our siblings. Strong bonds between two kids at home have shown better and more successful connections with peers at school.
Saving marriages is their task!
Being a part of a bigger family reduces the chance of divorce due to more chances of being accustomed to adjustment. Ohio State University concluded in a 2013 study that every sibling reduces divorce risk by 2%.
Squabbling of siblings is as natural as the rain. Yet, the reasons for the fight can have major health implications. Quarrelling about issues like fairness and equality can lead to experiencing higher levels of depression. The same has been concluded by a 2012 study of the University of Missouri. Fighting over personal space can lead to development of low self-esteem and anxiety.
But they are happiness boosters too
You know that already! Having siblings is in itself a joyful experience.
An abnormal junction or connection between two organs or tissues is referred to as a “fistula”. It targets two hollow organs, vessels, or tissue structures. It occurs mostly in the rectum, vagina, however can affect the intestines and the eyes too. It results in extreme pain, discomfort and should be treated as immediately as possible to prevent infection.
It can induce sensations of:
- Extreme irritation or itching
- Discharge with unusual odor (if the fistula is located near the anus/vagina)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Excess pus
- High body temperature
- Blood discharge
In case or prolonged tension and pain in these areas, a proctoscopy should be conducted for diagnosis. It most commonly occurs in women who have sustained prolonged labor (over 2-3 days). However, other causes include:
- Digestive malfunction
- Abscesses(formation of pus in hollow organs)
- An unhealthy lifestyle which includes excessive indulgence in alcohol and tobacco
Ayurvedic treatment for fistulas are available which aim to sooth the inflammation by slowly remedying the wound through natural and safe measures. Since Ayurvedic practices are non-toxic, non invasive and completely safe, one can avoid the drastic measures that surgery consists of, and also avoid the side effects of medicines.
Ayurvedic remedies of fistulas include
Ayurvedic doctors have developed several oils, ointments and medications that are readily available in the market. The medications usually consist of a mixture of herbs, roots and plants that aim to restore the physical systems and also soothe the affected area.
- The importance of buttermilk added with rock salt and black pepper also allows the enzymes of our body to multiply and thereby cure the fistulas internally.
- Radish juice with a pinch of cumin is also recommended to be consumed after meals to improve digestion and empower the immune system.
- A healthy lifestyle and fitness routine consisting of yoga and exercises also contribute to improve conditions in the patient by facilitating blood circulation and metabolism.
The In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) technique manually involves combining the eggs of a woman with the male sperm outside the body through medical procedure. It is a popular treatment method for those who are unable to conceive. IVF treatment occurs through a number of stages –
- The ovaries are stimulated to produce eggs through the process of ovulation induction
- The eggs are retrieved from the woman and fertilized with male sperm outside the body and,
- The embryo is implanted back into the uterus.
Although in most cases IVF treatment yields positive results, there are certain guidelines one must follow during the treatment in order to avoid any complications -
Eat healthy meals in small portions throughout the day. Working women are bound to spend long hours at the workplace. There may be occasions when you are put under too much pressure and do not get enough time to look after yourself. But in spite of all the workload, you will need to maintain a healthy diet. It is advisable that you stick to light and nutritious food- a wholesome salad rich in veggies and fruits, sprouts, healthy snacks which consist of cheese and yogurt, meat and eggs. Omega-3 and Folate supplements are very important for staying healthy.
Do not stress yourself too much
While doctors normally prescribe you to walk and move around sometimes after the treatment, too much activity can be dangerous during this condition. Do not engage yourself in exercises that are too strenuous for your health. Working women are required to take extra care of their health because they are expected to commute to their place of work every day till they are on maternity leave. Commuting via public transports can be dangerous immediately after an IVF treatment and during pregnancy. It is advisable that you use a private car or cab to commute daily, or you can ask your colleague to pick you up to work.
There are too many things to keep in mind while undergoing the treatment and after the procedure. You need to keep a tab on all the prescriptions, medications, and follow up dates with your doctor. You can keep a notepad to write down specific details such as appointments or list down a few do’s and don’ts as a reminder. This will help you keep a check on your health even when you’re at work.
Pregnancy post IVF treatment can lead to stress and health issues, and since the pressure at your workplace cannot be completely stalled, these tips can help you deal with the condition with much ease.
CML refers to Chronic Myeloid Leukemia. This type of cancer originates in the bone marrow. It occurs when a genetic change takes place in immature myeloid cells. These cells are responsible for the production of platelets, red blood cells and many types of white blood cells. As a result of these changes an abnormal gene known as BCR-ABL is formed. In turn, this gene converts the myeloid cells into CML cells.
As cancer progresses, the cells spill out of the bone marrow and enter the circulatory system. The cells are transported through the blood to other organs and can settle in various other parts of the body. CML is a slow growing cancer but in some cases, it can turn into fast-growing cancer that is hard to treat. It is more common amongst adult and is rarely seen among children.
Studies on CML are directed towards both the understanding of how cancer develops and how it can be treated. Scientists are making steady progress towards understanding how a person’s DNA can change and in turn cause a mutating of bone marrow cells into CML cells. For this, researchers are studying what changes can make a cell grow fast, live longer than usual etc.
There are a few drugs that have proven to be effective in the treatment of CML. These drugs target proteins like BCR-ABL. However, not all patients benefit from it. Hence, studies are now underway to evaluate how it could be combined with other forms of treatment such as cancer vaccines, interferon or chemotherapy to be more effective. It is also being combined with other medicines to study the effects.
New drugs have also been developed to target and treat CML. In cases where CML cells create a mutation known as T315I by changing the BCR-ABL cells, the cancer is resistant to many different types of therapy. This includes targeted therapies like nilotinib, imatinib, and dasatinib. Thus, drugs are being created that can treat this mutation. Another type of drug that is being developed is known as farnesyl transferase inhibitors. In some tests, these are also being combined with imatinib.
Vaccinations that can protect a person from CML are also being studied. For this several vaccines have been developed and are currently being tested for effectiveness. CMLVAX100 is one such vaccine. Some studies have shown that when this vaccine is combined with imatinib, it is more effective.
The coitus was great, but after everything is over, why do you feel so sad and depressed? If you feel like fleeing or if you need some reassuring physical contact after intercourse, you might be suffering from a psychological condition called 'post-coital tristesse' (PTC)
What does it mean?
Post-coital is a Latin phrase while tristesse is a French word which literally translates to “sadness”. If you suffer from PCT, you might experience intense feelings of uneasiness, anxiety or sorrow immediately after coitus, or even two hours later.
Why does it happen?
- There are specific hormonal changes during sex and immediately after it. Two main hormones involved are ‘dopamine’ and ‘prolactin’. Dopamine is a neuro-hormone that precedes the release of adrenaline and is linked with feelings of pleasure and sexual arousal; while prolactin is the hormone responsible for producing milk in women (men secrete it as well). Dopamine is released in copious amounts during sex, so to counter this, prolactin is released. Prolactin drastically reduces dopamine levels, and this can make you sad.
- The other cause is psychological. Under the influence of dopamine, you might end up saying things you regret later. This too can result in sadness and depression.
Is it different for men and women?
Yes, men and women handle PCT very differently. Men feel like leaving so that they feel less sad. On the other hand, some men choose to stay, which only worsens their condition. It makes them associate sex with melancholic feelings. Women, on the other hand, crave for reassurance and physical touch from their partners. Nice words or cuddling can ease their discomfort. Suffering from this might result in disaster for them. When the man flees and the woman needs reassurance, it will lead to negative feelings about sex and development of resentment for each other.
Can abstinence and avoidance help?
Abstinence can help if you do not have an active sex life. Time away from sex can actually help you understand your problems better. However, abstinence can trigger depression, low self-esteem and extreme emotions of loneliness.
Are there any other solutions?
Communication and therapy are traditionally the best treatments for PCT. Talking to a therapist, alone or together with your partner, can help you with a solution.
As we all know that IVF stands for In vitro fertilisation. It is a method of stimulating the ovaries in a female body, to release an ovum (egg), which is taken out of the body and fertilised artificially in the laboratory with the help of a sperm. After this, the embryo is transferred back to the uterus where it grows and develops naturally.
Understanding the Procedure
- The doctor attempts to have complete control over your menstrual and ovulation cycles, so as to know the correct time of the month when you ovulate. This includes, charting basal body temperatures, hormonal therapy drugs etc.
- Frequent blood tests, ultrasound will be required to map the progress of ovulation.
- Injections, drugs will be prescribed in required dosage to stimulate the ovaries.
- During this time, the doctors will monitor the growth of oocytes (eggs).
- After a suitable growth of the oocytes follicles, the eggs are retrieved for artificial insemination. (Fertilisation with the use of sperm cells in the laboratory).
- After the successful fertilisation, the embryo is transferred back to the uterus.
Can IVF have side effects?
- As a side effect it has a major chance of multiple pregnancies. People intending to have just one child, may not be mentally or economically prepared to take the responsibility of more than one child.
- The drugs and medicines used throughout the IVF procedure may create hormonal complications in the long run. It bears a risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, if the mother has to go through the cycle multiple times.
But it offers a number of benefits too...
- IVF increases the chance of pregnancy by a large percentage. It is one of the most successful methods of boosting fertility and pregnancy.
- Couples, who have repeatedly failed to bear children naturally, can opt for this treatment to produce their own offspring.
- In case the couples are completely infertile, donor eggs or sperms may be used in the process. However, in that case, the offspring will not bear the DNA of both parents.
- IVF can greatly reduce the chance of surgery on the fallopian tubes.
- IVF also provides an opportunity to choose the healthiest embryos before implanting it back in the uterus. A procedure, known as the pre-implantation genetic diagnosis, determines the presence of any abnormal genes or other chromosomal absurdity.
- The procedure of IVF has a very high success rate and with technological advancements in the field of medicine, it has also become much safer.
- IVF allows women, who go into premature menopause, to be able to bear a child. This treatment is mostly for women who decide to experience motherhood at a slightly older age.
- IVF allows same sex partners and single women to bear an offspring.
- It is extremely helpful for women who have their fallopian tubes damaged, blocked or surgically removed.
In some cases, frustration can tend to be positive and can give you another perspective or view on things. It can also give you the ability to continue going further until you achieve your objective. However, there are times when you are going in circles and the dissatisfaction makes you frustrated and this frustration can cloud your mind and judgment. To avoid that from happening, there are certain approaches that will help you overcome your frustration:
- Be present in the moment: When you are frustrated, you tend to think about a lot of things. This keeps the individual completely occupied with different kinds of thoughts. Even if you try to avoid it or distract yourself, you again start to remember a disappointment from your past. You need to snap out of those thoughts and calm yourself down by centring your brain and thoughts on what is presently going on around you. You can do so in the following ways:
- Concentrate on relaxing: Take a seat, close your eyes and simply concentrate on the live events and concentrate on them for one to two minutes. Take quiet and marginally deeper breaths than regular and inhale with your stomach and not the chest. Concentrate on what is around you as of now. The sun sparkling in through your window, the children playing out on the road, the vehicles or the individuals passing by. Take in the details.
- Try to be happy with what you have right now: After you have pulled your concentration and thoughts back to where they can be most useful, focus on what is still positive in your life. The easiest and least demanding approach to do so is to centre it on acknowledging what you do have in your life right now. The most unimportant of things at this point can prove to be the most beneficial. For example:
- A warm home and a rooftop over your head.
- Water to drink.
- Getting to eat great food.
- Access to the internet and other forms of technology that make life easy.
- Your loved ones.
- Focus on what you can do at this moment: With the amount of frustration and anger you might be feeling, it is important for you to concentrate on what you can do at the moment i.e. at present. It might involve figuring out what has been the cause for your frustration and how it can be dealt with right now or what the alternatives for it are.
Then again, you could also take your time to understand that you may have taken a lot of pressure or things have been extreme. Hence, you have to take some time or a couple of days to simply unwind, deal with yourself and maybe calm down a bit.
Are you growing hair in unusual places where you do not want them to be such as on the neck, chest, chin and back? Hirsutism is a medical term, which refers to excess body hair and facial hair in women. It occurs because of an increased production of androgens or male hormones. The increased sensitivity of the androgen receptors in the skin follicles also causes hirsutism.
Hirsutism is diagnosed using two methods:
- The Ferriman Gallwey model involves the visual inspection for detecting the presence of excess hair. The amount of hair growth in nine areas of your body is quantified in this model. However, this is not an ideal method as many women shave or pluck their hair.
- Blood test for excess androgens is another method for diagnosis of hirsutism. The different tests include free testosterone, total testosterone and DHEAS or dehydropiandosterone sulphate. Women with PCOS are likely to have increased levels of free testosterone in their body because of the absence of enough sex hormone binding globulin.
Removing excess hair
There are several ways by which you can get rid of excess body and facial hair. They are as follows:
- Plucking is a way of hiding hair during early stages. It is an easy fix. However, plucking from the follicle may lead to the distortion of the follicle, which may cause hair to thicken and turn darker.
- Depilatories is another way of removing excess hair due to hirsutism. Depilatories remove excess hair by the use of a chemical which dissolves the hair.
- Waxing is also effective for removing excessive hair. In waxing, warm wax is spread over the affected areas; a strip of cloth is placed over it, and rubbed on the wax. After holding the skin tight, the cloth is pulled off.
- Several medicines are used for dealing with hirsutism in women such as oral contraceptives, which help in removing the amount of androgens in the body. The androgen production may decrease as a result of oral contraceptives. The amount of circulating concentration of androstenediones and total testosterone are also reduced. Anti androgen medicines are also prescribed in some cases.
- Electrolysis is opted as a measure of managing excessive hair. In the process, a needle gets inserted along the hair shaft. After this, an electric pulse is sent to the root. This makes the hair release from the follicles and they are pulled out.
Laser hair removal is the final option for hirsutism treatment. In this method, light from the laser eliminates several hairs in the affected area. The pigment present in the hair absorbs the energy from the laser and gets destroyed.
A woman bearing a child is a matter of great wonder. Many underlying dynamics must come together at the appropriate juncture so that a new life can see the light of this world. As per an estimate, every 12th couple in their mid-ages does not possess the ability to become parents. A considerable number of these affected couples go through stress and dilemma on whether they can bear a kid. However, with the help of in-vitro fertilization (IVF), they can fulfill their desire to have kids.
IVF came into existence for the first time in the US in 1981. Since then, it has become a favourite treatment procedure to treat infertile couples. More than six million babies have been born worldwide with the help of an IVF procedure. IVF is also known as a method of assisted reproduction. It is a process in which the sperm of the man and the egg of a woman are combined in a laboratory dish. Here is the list of good-to-know facts on IVF-
Women with problems in their fallopian tubes can get pregnant through IVF
If the fallopian tubes of a woman are not functioning in the right manner, the egg cannot get near the uterus. This can cause a problem in pregnancy. However, in an IVF process, the mature cells are extracted and are combined with sperm cells in an incubator. After the completion of this process, the fertilized egg cells are transferred into the uterus.
Healthy sleep habits are needed for facilitating better IVF cycles
If you are one of those rarer human species who dozes off to sleep after the completion of your daily routine, then you are in for luck in IVF treatment. Getting a good night's sleep is the prerequisite for a successful IVF procedure. However, sleeping too much or too little can have severe repercussions on an IVF treatment.
Consumption of tobacco and alcohol should be avoided during an IVF treatment
Drugs are primarily known as poisonous pleasures and can harm and cause serious damage to the embryo. If you are a smoker, then it is always advisable to avoid smoking during an IVF treatment. However, you can opt for sexual intercourse as it improves the quality of embryos.
IVF treatment comprises one complete female cycle
During an IVF procedure, the maturity of the eggs is increased by giving an injection. It is known as hormonal stimulation. Ultrasound and blood test is needed on a ninth day to assess the growth of follicles. On the basis of their growth, the time of ovulation is determined. Most IVF procedures usually need one complete female cycle.
With the help of an IVF treatment, there is always hope in store for those who want to have children. It has become a holistic model of treatment for couples who are haunted by infertility.